StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• Noodle puller :)
    Whats the yellow stuff? It looks like polenta.

• Looks like cornmeal so the noodles don't stick - or coarse semolina.

• Didn't know the Chinese used it

• @jacksonbrown said: Noodle puller :)
    Whats the yellow stuff? It looks like polenta.

Noodle puller makes for happy ending! :)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited July 2016

20160704_174954.jpg
    600 x 800 - 72K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The Chinese equivalent of a Japanese binchotan charcoal table bbq. Binchotan is good stuff. Don't see to many glasses of refreshing liquid and are the ones I do see really water. If that is you punkin sitting there with the blurred watch as you could probably do with a plate of lettuce leaves for lunch by now.

• edited July 2016

These guys were outside my hotel where i was sitting on the porch drinking beer. But we had a couple of meals at this restaurant and had many different foods cooked on the bbq.

Last night we went once again to a restaurant where you choose your dinner from tanks of luve seafood which they served later in the restaurant upstairs.

So many different dishes from geoduck served sashimi style to razor clams and myshrooms and 10 or more other dishes.

This was one wall of sample dishes we could have chosen. The other 3 walls also had sample dishes with the centre of the room full of tanks where the seafood was chosen.

20160712_173558.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Anyone in Melb should have a listen to 'eat it' on RRR this morning.
    They usually have a drinks guy come in too which can be pretty interesting. They did a big thing about a community still in Collingwood the other week.

• edited July 2016

One of the goeduck dishes we had.

20160711_182152.jpg
    450 x 800 - 88K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2016

And here is a lovely dish that we didn't have.

20160712_174413.jpg
    800 x 450 - 52K

• edited July 2016

Two sided hotpot. Mild/spicy hot.

20160710_184628.jpg
    450 x 800 - 93K

• edited July 2016

Don't exactly recall what these little fellas are called other than sea worms or the like?

Yes we had these.

20160712_174243.jpg
    800 x 450 - 112K

• edited July 2016

Some cock.

20160712_174159.jpg
    800 x 450 - 90K

• edited July 2016

20160712_182539.jpg
    800 x 450 - 118K

• edited July 2016

I'm absolutely an omnivore foodie, and I understand there is a long tradition of serving animals with heads attached - suckling pig, whole fish, etc. I am no denier, and I know where my food comes from. I even sometimes cry spontaneously when I think about vegans and bacon, but I really think the visual aspect of food is important. I'm not talking froo froo haute cuisine shit, because even rustic foods can look incredible. But heads on? Especially poultry? It's like an inedible garnish, serves no point, and surely doesn't make the dish more appetizing. I'm not even talking about not eating head parts, guanciale done right is incredible, but what purpose does a beak on a plate serve?

Just my 2 cents and I acknowledge my cultural insensitivity, but we don't need our food watching us as we enjoy it.

• I can only assume that there are or have been lots of hungry people at one time or another that are or were very hungry every day. And so perhaps the head may very well have represented a valuable part of total daily nutritional value? Perhaps it is a symbolic part of food preparation that reminds the food preparer and diner that nothing should go to waste?

Seems fish get an easier pass on the head thing? I hear fish eyes are yummy.

I have to say that the Chinese do indeed suck the meat off of every morsel they put into their mouths.

Prime for me please.

• One of our factory people did comment however that food in China does even confuse him. He says that Chinese people can make food out of everything.

Our Chinese travel companion also ate some food that he had never seen before. He is from the north. Food in the south is really very different.

• edited July 2016

Take these sea creatures for instance. They weren't really bad. But once was enough.

20160712_174323.jpg
    800 x 450 - 56K

• Anyone ever see the Anthony Bourdain program where he was fed the warthog anus roasted in the ashes of the fire by an African bushman cook? Understand there was no water available for, like, washing food before cooking.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited July 2016

@punkin didn't we eat some swine Anus also?

• edited July 2016

Krill or some such thing.

20160712_174226.jpg
    800 x 450 - 138K

• Yeah, sure, but yours was prolly washed.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• @zymurgybob said: Yeah, sure, but yours was prolly washed.

Gawd I hope so!!

• They can build a high speed rail that bops along at 400km per hour,,, they could at least wash up my pig anus is all I'm sayin.........

• edited July 2016

A lovely assortment of snails and slugs.

20160712_174138.jpg
    450 x 800 - 136K

• Those mud worms put out an aspic when heated in a stock that means the dish is served cold like a moulded jelly.

Once was enough for that one.

• Isn't fried calamari really pig anus?

• edited July 2016

This

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
  • edited July 2016

You can see the worm jelly in Larry's last banquet picture at the bottom left 7 oclock.

Also in that pic is one of my favorite dishes in China and very common. Razor fish with garlic, chilli and spring onions. Its at 11 oclock.

• edited July 2016

Also...

20160707_190949.jpg
    450 x 800 - 93K