StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Using Ultrasound

Comments

• edited August 2015

@CothermanDistilling said: this is one of the units that was made to clean household blinds... $20-30k new.. you are getting a lot for your $400 if you are close and could pick up, may have to get the power supply worked on..........

large cleaner ultrasonic parts washer machine ultrasonics International corp @ eBay

Hell, there's $400 worth of scrap stainless in that machine. Shoot him a lowball offer and see if he bites.

You can get up to NC and back in a day.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• OK, so for a home distiller. Is the HF version good enough if I'm willing to do it in batches, or should I get something from Beijing Ultrasonics. Size can be smaller for me since I don't get to run the still too often, but which frequency: 20khz, 42khz, etc? Is the variable frequency model worth it? Do we go with a heater or not.

I want to pick one up, but they're expensive enough I don't want to get the wrong one...

• I've been using my HF one for a few months now and it is still humming along. I use the heat function while I am treating the liquor. I can do 2L at a time which makes it slow for me to do any quantity. One weakness in the HF model is that the SS tub doesn't wrap around the top edge and some have had problems with liquid getting into the innards. I just scoop or dip the stuff out and the last little bit I pour out after taping the seal area with about 5" of masking tape in one corner. I would rather have something in the 6L size but don't want to spend the $$$ right now.

• My HF unit heating element shit the bed yesterday. Took the receipt out and I still had 4 days left of my 90 day warranty so I got a new one. I have found that on this unit, the heating element stays on even after the US part shuts off. Probably burned itself out. A couple of my latest observations:

Had some previously aged on oak rum that I tossed into the unit and over the course of 6 hours probably ran it for a total of one hour. Not sure but just kept resetting it. Result? Turned a previously clear, sparkling rum into a cloudy murk. Won't do that again.

Also I treated my latest run after 2 days of airing. I made my cuts and then noticed a different off smell and taste that I haven't come across before. Chalked it up to the different molasses. Ran it at full ABV for 24 minutes and the off smell/taste disappeared.

• I love your work FC. Pushing the boudaries of where booze has been taken. Like Captian Kirk but with a Rum-bubba in hand.

• @FloridaCracker said: Had some previously aged on oak rum that I tossed into the unit and over the course of 6 hours probably ran it for a total of one hour. Not sure but just kept resetting it. Result? Turned a previously clear, sparkling rum into a cloudy murk. Won't do that again.

This is probably the most interesting part, because it's most telling of what might actually be happening.

• So far, the only negatives that I have found have all been with spirit that has been treated with other ingredients ie oak, coconut, vanilla. Just for kicks and giggles I had some rum sitting on a cup of toasted coconut for about a week. Figured that if there was any flavor still in the coconut the US would beat it out. Well, it might have but it also turned the relatively clear rum into a milky murk that has yet to settle out. It was pretty clear even after sitting on the coconut for a week. Haven't tried it to see if more flavors came out but it would just be for mixing as it stands now. Mixed with pineapple juice would be good but I'm not into drinking cloudy stuff neat or on the rocks. To clarify (pun intended) this rum was treated with US twice before. Once at full ABV and again after being cut to 65%. Maybe it is too efficient.

So as of now, I will only treat white rum or whiskey with US. Once it has some color I won't treat it again.

• That unit looks just like mine!

• Down in Disney, saw that machine in the Coca Cola exhibit. They at least had subwoofers and a disco ball on theirs.

• Is there a downside to over treatment with US? Can the spirit be overheated or receive too much time in contact wit ultrasound waves?

• The answer better be yes.

• I was US my azeo the other night decided to add some more to the cleaner poured in another litre and the entire contents went opaque. The liquid kept rolling in the cleaner like it was boiling it was very strange , it took a couple minutes to eventually clear and look normal again.

• I'll video it next time

• @bachman said: Is there a downside to over treatment with US? Can the spirit be overheated or receive too much time in contact wit ultrasound waves?

I don't know about white spirit straight from the still but like I posted before, if it has been on oak or any other "flavors" I believe that you can overdo it. A little bit is probably OK after being on oak. 1 hour is not good. At least not right now. I have kept that sample and will watch it. Who knows? Maybe it will come around in time.

• FC I was referring to white spirits, I may take the plunge a get a US

• I have had no problem with multiple 8 minute treatments of white spirits. Seem to only get better to a point.

• You guys realize that when the anti-GMO loons get wind of this the anti-USS movement begins, right?

• Both short term and long term memory come and go. GMO?

• Genetically modified organism. When organic lost its hip-ness, anti-GMO became the flavor of the month.

• edited September 2015

Taking the dive. Went with this one:

New Stainless Steel 6 L Liter Industry Heated Ultrasonic Cleaner Heater w/Timer @ eBay

I like that it has a drain and a higher watt density that the 10L.

I've got about 1.5 gallons of white whiskey at barrel strength and 3 gallons of 180 proof TPW neutral to put through it in the next week or two after it arrives.

• That drain feature will be very nice. Sucks to have to dip the spirit out. Not a bad price either.

• +1 on the drain i fill my 1 gal jugs straight out of the unit.

• who is still doing this and who has gone full production with US processing?

• I still put all of my spirits through one right before going into the barrel or cabinet.

• did you get a bigger one than the HF Special?

• Yes. The one I have now holds 6L. Think I paid about $125 US.

• I bought a 20l one for my start up. But I have to start up to be able to give a field report on how it works. The 20l US bath cost about $300 bucks.