Sizing a Pump

Comments

• edited January 2018

@Fiji_Spirits

The housing, Pall Advanta™ ALT Liquid Filter Housings

The filter I am waiting for, Poly-Fine ® II Series Filter Cartridges (PDF)

Haven't used it yet. Waiting on proper filter cartridge. Bought the 10" housing on eBay for $90 on a recommendation from @grim.

• edited January 2018

Pall Advanta

ALT - Upright T-Style

ALI - Inline

They use a 10", 20", 30" or 40" Code 7 filter cartridge.

ALT11 - 10" ALT12 - 20" ALT13 - 30" ALT14 - 40"

I've told a bunch of people, so they are getting harder to find on eBay. I think I have 4 of them now.

Ignore the 440 or Pall Jr housings, yes they have triclamp fittings too, but they take AIR/GAS filter cartridges. I've not yet found a compatible cartridge, and I'm not going to spend the money on a housing just to see what I can retrofit in. Especially when you can find a nice ALT11 housing for $100.

The housings with the Mini-TC gauge and drain port fittings are most desirable, since it's easy to add a gauge at the top to monitor cartridge back pressure.

• Nearly every wine/beer online store that caters to commercial will have inexpensive code-7 filters.

• Stay well clear of that Pall Poly-Fine cartridge. It is of super low efficiency and is not absolute rated beta 5,000. It has the same efficiency as that of a string wound cartridge and through this you drive buses through.

• @richard the one I have ordered is a 10" .8 micron code 7 filter. Am I making a poor choice?

• After use and back flushing, what is the proper way to store filter cartridge until next use?

• Personally cancel the order. Pall have some fine cartridges BUT not this one for this application. Obviously depending on your requirements, I would pitch it at O.2µm or 0.45µm, beta 5,000 or an efficiency of 99.98%. A pleated depth cartridge. Storage, never let the cartridge dry out. Once cleaned, you can leave it in a bath of sterilant until next use. Unless you have serious solids loading, I would not consider trying to back-flush.

• Ordered a Profile II graduated depth filter 3um.

• @Pa_bon said: Ordered a Profile II graduated depth filter 3um.

so is this what you got? AB1Y0037PH4 Pall AB1Y0037PH4 Profile II Filter Cartridge 10" Inch 0.3 um @ eBay or a AB1Y0037J? the J model looks like it might be best for us?

I am learning the numbers... I have a PALL Advanta ALTD11G23DDH4 for $180 shipped coming from ebay..

• $145 for a filter cartridge? Is that a case of 10? No way, overpriced. Run away.

• no, just asking if that is it... learning numbers...

I just ordered a $15 'AB1Y2003J' 20micron one with $7 shipping to do a prefilter with while I use up my milipore finer filters... assuming J is better for us than PH4

• BTW - G23DDH4 is the best one, mini triclamp at the top and bottom.

Sorry I bought up all the cheap 3/4" Ashcroft sanitary gauges to match.

• Yeah your lingo is right, it's AB1 prefix.

That's a Code 7, Single Open Ended, 10" filter.

• @CothermanDistilling, the one I ordered is AB1Y0307WH4. Ordered from Pall @ $36.53/ea.

• OK, I think I got screwed on my filter head, the body says G23DDH4, but the top does not fit the code 7 filter :-(

100044519/1 and A13918 (or A13913) are stamped into the filter head)

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 113K
  • Looks right to me, your filter cartridges have locking tabs correct? Should be push in and twist to lock.

• edited January 2018

image.jpg
    800 x 476 - 31K
  • edited January 2018

There should be a fat tab and a narrow tab. Fat tab locates at the bottom in your photo, narrow top, then twist.

• edited January 2018

I am being a bit stupid I can not pick up that part number on the Pall website.

The actual photo of the cartridge .... I can not clearly see the tabs. To me this is not a code 7 cartridge.

Check the dimensions as per the shown drawing. This is a code 7 / 226 connection. The tab dimensions are also shown.

image.jpg
    416 x 648 - 24K
  • edited January 2018

Sorry I deleted heights of the fins.

This is a code 7 cartridge connection

image.jpg
    808 x 648 - 31K
  • @grim said: I have a bigger AODD Yamada DP-20f all-ptfe pump along with pulsation damper I use to move larger volumes of high-proof.

I have basically the same AODD pump, very keen to locate a suitable pulsation dampener if you can point me in the right direction?

• The matching all-ptfe Yamada. Blacoh is another good manufacturer. I used a smaller stainless and ptfe Sentry before.

• part number starts with AB1Y... no tabs, and smaller diameter, but in sealed pouch

Pall 10" Filter Cartidge AB1Y2003J @ eBay

• @grim said: Looks right to me, your filter cartridges have locking tabs correct? Should be push in and twist to lock.

the o-rings are a good 3/8"-1/2" smaller in diameter and no locking tabs...

I just want an actual part number people have bought.. no one has put one up...

• I buy from St Pats wine in TX - about $28-35 a cartridge.

Good quality, long life, good price.

• edited January 2018

Go for AB1Y0037PH4 ... or AB1 Y 003 7 H4

AB1 Y = 10". Profile star
    003 = 0.3 micron absolute rated
    7 = Code 7
    H4 = Silicone O rings

The P = Pharmaceitical or without is General grade

Yes it costs. If you think that it's too tight then say maybe 5 micron .. 050 ..... or 0.5 micron .. 005

Profile® II Filter Cartridges @ Pall

• OK,... I thought the code 7 was somewhere in the AB1Y... Ijust misread the AB1Y0037PH4 and when i got the AB1Y2003 I actually got a code 3... I need AB1Yxxx7....

• Got my filter cartridge Friday. Gonna put it to use soon as I can. Have questions on storing it between uses. One suggestion was to store in a sterilants. I will only be using it once every 6 months to a year.

Any other suggestions for storage? Or is this the preferred method?

Suggestions for sterilants?

Thanks.

• edited January 2018

I reverse flush with filtered water, low pressure, for about 15-20 minutes, then air dry. Do another forward flush with filtered water before you use it next time, to remove any particulate that may have settled on the filter.

• Thanks @grim. Kinda what I was thinking. Will vacuum seal after air drying.