StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New Showroom/Warehouse

124»

Comments

• Now you're starting to understand the burden I bear living here on Gilligan's Island.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Just got back from a swim at the beach. Its gunna be tough. Just going to the shed now to see if i can fit forty foot high cube boxes in the door if its wide enough ill cut the long side out and bolt them together for my 'office'.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Do you mean converting a 40' conex container into an office like this?

Conex office.jpg
    275 x 183 - 6K

• Sort of. But butting two together on the long axis. Looking at the space i won't get to 40' ones in so will have 2 x 20'. It will work well. Theres already a kitchen and bathroom in there so just need a living apace.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• we have a company here that makes insulation for them, I installed their standard UX 2.0 products to the block wall inside my gift shop and made it R-11. here is their container inserts.

• Thanks for that tip @CothermanDistilling. Been looking at a 10' box wondering how to best insulate for a crawfish cooler. Think I just found it.

• Here on Gilligan's Island conexes are put together for buildings in just about every way imaginable. Everything that gets shipped here is shipped via container, so they are plentiful and cheap. All sizes. There are some great configuration ideas out there on the interwebs.

• Getting pretty popular here too. I'll be lining it with 3/4" coolroom panels, they make a few different models just for these. They have either colourbond steel or plastic inner and outer skins.
    Bog the screw holes in the floor and varnish and it's a <$20k building i can take anywhere. 6m x 4.8m is a big room.

• edited October 2017

Didn't take photos inside the shed as the owner still had a lot of stuff stored in there left over from the building (it's new), but he has a two story residence attached to the back and rents the upper story to a couple of girls.

The area out the back where the afternoon drinks are on is a pretty little creek with a pontoon. There's ducks and kingfishers etc.

It's a 6 min walk to the beach where i had breakfast. They tell me you can hear the surf of an evening. Gotta be more than the 2' it was yesterday i'd imagine.

Ohh, and he's an apiarist kapea, pretty sure he said just 40 or 50 hives.

1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 98K
    2.jpg
    450 x 800 - 35K

• The back yard looks like Australian pines (called ironwood here) and eucalyptus. We have lots of those here too. Ironwood "needles" make a nice soft ground bedding, except for those pesky little pine cones. I use their needles as fuel in my hive smoker.

• Yes, Casuarina, commonly called sheoak here. They are all round any water source here, they end up impenetrable if you don't knock the little ones down.

• We have a lot of sea cliffs here. Ginormous waves breaking on the base of the cliffs generate a lot of saltwater spray blowing inland. Ironwoods are fast-growing and saltwater impervious, so they are often planted along the clifftops as a saltwater spray break. They protect the inland crops (formerly sugarcane) from getting saltwater burn. Kinda sucks for blocking the ocean view though, until you get far enough up-slope to see over them.

• They make a peculiar whistle when the wind blows that stays with you forever. Never heard a sound quite like it.

• edited September 2017

Yeah it does. I lived in Bermuda for a couple of years. All of the island-covering cedar trees there were wiped out very quickly by a invasive scale. They planted Australia Pines there to take up the job of a quick-growing wind-block to protect the island from erosion. The wind blows pretty much non-stop in Bermuda from November through March. The whole island sounds like what you describe. Kind of lonely sounding and soothing at the same time. I always thought it gave a sense of windswept isolation.

• It's a really peaceful time when the loudest thing in your world just then is the wind in the trees.

• Yup, I love the sound of wind blowing through the big conifers that surround us. There's a word for that sound-making that's kinda cool, too. It's "sough". Nothing like wind soughing in the Douglas firs. Well, except maybe Australia pines.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited October 2017

They have Christmas trees growing everywhere up there where ZB lives!

• Surrounded by maple and oak now. Relaxing as they sound in the wind, I do miss the sound of a fir forest.

• edited September 2018

Couple of videos i found of my home town;

Woolgoolga Curryfest Promo @ Vimeo

I have to say i'm looking forward to my first CurryFest in 2 weeks time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKMfWeS_x4s

• Looks like a great time. Waddia think the temps will be?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited September 2018

It's around 20-25C here atm and i've already put my jumpers and long pants away and am into shorts and singlet. Next couple of weeks will warm up i believe, but this is my first spring here and i was surprised how cold it got in August which was really the only cold month of winter.

When i say cold i mean cold enough to wear a jumper during the day. I don't own a heater and don't wear a coat here.

• edited September 2018

Spent all morning irrigating my crops....

extensivecrops1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 164K

• good to see there's no coriander

• edited March 2019

Absoluteley loving the new toy.

Legs have been aching for 2 days, i'm using muscles i'd forgotten about playing. It's not till you watch someone else play that you realize what a workout a game of pinball is.

pinball1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 92K

• You know I was thinking of putting one or two of those things in my distillery tasting room.

• They are noisy mate, other than that (and the price) they are a barrel of fun. You can adjust the volume of the gameplay (and the language content) but not the mechanical noise.

• I have spent thousands of hours guiding the path of the silver ball. One of my absolute favorite pastimes!

• It's a good machine, easy to play badly for a good long while even when you don't know the quests and battles or how to trigger them. Theres a couple of different multi balls one is pretty easy for a novice to get, so it's entertaining for all skill levels. Not many gut shots that you can't save, but like all the machines the right alley gets me all the time. My favourites have gates on the right alley, but not Deadpool.