StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Ground Control to Major Lloyd!!!!!

Comments

• Must compliment olddog for beautiful work. Nice open layout and neat as it gets. OD, how are you creating your panel markings? Panel marking has always been a problem for me to get professional and attractive results. Most recently I have used clear label machine. Though not reliable against heat and humidity. My fallback is engraved placards.

• Use a desktop publisher, Avery clear adhesive a4 labels and a laser printer.

OD

• OD and Lloyd I want one! Is it possible to get a parts list. I would like to educate myself on each part and function before the kit comes out.I think I can retro fit my splitter and cm head that I just built. Is it easy to add more heating elements? I'm running one of big pa's fancy controllers ATM and love it, but would like to have one more 5500w element to expedite heat up. Thank you for your vision and willingness to share your knowledge and experience. Cheers Nake

• edited February 2014

I did something similar for a friend years ago. I included a low boiler level shutdown as he was prone to disappearing for a while when he was running his still.

Mick

Still Control System.jpg
    912 x 412 - 49K
  • edited March 2014

Nearly there now Lloyd, tracking tells me its in Shanghai which is only a short rickshaw ride away from you.

• Excellent! I'm getting all tingly (and haven't even touched hot electrical wires yet).

• Tracking updates? Special service for a special guy :)

• Im nearing the end of my run with OD's controller and wow. You are going to love it Lloyd. Made me rethink my cooling requirements.

• Using a lot less cooling water now?

• edited March 2014

Absolutey.The cooling water only come on for 3 -5sec every minute or so. That's while I was there. Most of the run I spent out near the pool drinking long Island iced teas

I was running it fairly slow and that was only the reflux.. The shotgun cooling was running continuous at 3l per minute

• My controller has been stuck in China customs at Shanghai since Thursday.
    Starting to get nervous so I'll contact customs tomorrow and see if there is a problem.

• I thought it was only here we had postal problems

• @Lloyd said: My controller has been stuck in China customs at Shanghai since Thursday.
    Starting to get nervous so I'll contact customs tomorrow and see if there is a problem.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the track-chinapost website. I have my last 4 deliveries safely in my hands and it still says they are in China customs.

• Haha, postal is postal everywhere.
    Like high taxes, PMS that lasts for 30 days before repeating and standing in line at a bank for the privilege of withdrawing your own money, some things don't seem to change no matter where you live.

(At least here postal workers don't have access to firearms. Instead they tend to bounce your packages off a concrete wall.)

It seems the hand-off from international to domestic is the slow and tricky bit just about everywhere.

• Good luck Lloyd, I have a laptop that has been stuck in China customs for 3 weeks and I'm working for the Chinese government at one of their Nuke plants. The install is just about done and with out it I can't bring the equipment online and complete testing :)] :!!

Not sure what were going to do, we have 3 high ranking officials working on it and no luck of seeing it any time soon. All because it doesn't have the new energy sticker which went online last month. The bad part is I was to supose to fly out on Friday and need to be in the US at another plant Monday morning.

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• Still no news of my controller and reading your post above, @Manofconstantsorrow, I'm feeling more nervous.

• @Lloyd said: Still no news of my controller and reading your post above, Manofconstantsorrow, I'm feeling more nervous.

Don't sweat it LLoyd, it will show up, it the usual China Post routine. I've never had any trouble.

• It seems to be in custom's limboland. EMS cannot track it until customs releases it and there seems to be no way to communicate with China customs.
    Just so everyone knows, sending booze to me is NEVER a problem (hint, hint). It always slides right through. Molasses, however, NEVER makes it through. That stuff must be dangerous!

• Its been in customs a week now, can't see the problem as its 99% Chinese components.

• Now,.... patience.... @Lloyd, number 1 rule in the hobby!!!.... just can not not rush good things just like stilling, aging.....OK, kick me, I am just messing with you. I , myself, can not wait till you get it going and report back. Had to mess with you a bit. U still love me?

• @captainshooch said: Now,.... patience.... Lloyd, number 1 rule in the hobby!!!.... just can not not rush good things just like stilling, aging.....OK, kick me, I am just messing with you. I , myself, can not wait till you get it going and report back. Had to mess with you a bit. U still love me?

Yer sippin ain't cha?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Well our issue is with Chinese customs is not going to get resolved, now all we can do is try to get customs to release it so we can get it shipped back to the US but even that I am told is a shot in the dark. It appears that single items such as this lap top or your controller do not bowed well, as they are electronics and the Chinese government has tollerence zero for letting anything into the country that doesn't meet their strict labling identifiers.

So if the controller does not carry a schedmatic, CE labeling ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC, so on and so on (ok you get the idea) :-@ I hate to be the one to tell you that you may be in for a long wait. I hope I am wrong and it arrives on your door step tomorrow. We had to build a new lap top and it will need to be hand carried on a flight to China one of us will need to go to Shanghi to pick it up and here's the best part the customer thinks this should come out our pocket. I'll let the bean counters fight this one out and stay out of the line of fire from pencil lead.

Again hope you far better the I did. MOCS

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• I'll volunteer to carry it in.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Smaug said "Yer sippin ain't cha?"
    Guilty as charged!!

• Received a letter this morning from Nanjing Customs Office informing me that I'd better do something pretty quick about my package in their possession (though we all thought it was still in Shanghai) so we trekked off immediately to Nanjing.
    1.5 hours to get there and another hour to locate their very well hidden office.
    After waiting in line while the employees had a nice long rest I was informed to go behind the counter and open the package, and this I did. Noting that I was obviously not the first to open the package but everything was intact as best as I could see.
    The official asked a series of questions... but mostly, is this for personal or business use? (This is for personal use). They tried everything they could to find a similar controller on the internet to establish value so they could levy the import tax as they did not trust my invoice. Failing to do so, they informed us that a "middle company" would need to get involved so that every part of the assembly could be determined for value. Estimated expense for that is about $400USD and a week delay is the best case guess at the moment. "It's all made with Chinese parts", says I. "Don't matter", says customs guy.
    "Can I get your phone number", I foolishly asked. "No, we do not answer the phone except from our superiors", says customs guy. "Can I get the phone number of your superior?" another foolish question from me. "No, we do not give out that information", says smug customs guy.

I briefly had it in my hands today but failed to return home with it.

• That's crazy, even now the tracking tells me its in Shanghai EMS, BTW it was packed to travel, it had 4 - 5 layers of bublewrap and the valve and larger sensors in a separate package. The smaller sensors were in a plastic envelope along with the manual and keys for the enclosure, I guess the only good thing is that we know its not lost.

• Yes, the packaging was first rate.
    They cut the "manual" from the front of the packaging in hopes of finding the value of the entire controller on the internet. Once they failed to do so they resorted to Plan B - pass the buck to someone else. In this case, we'll have to bring in a third party to determine taxable value. It's not about CE compliance or anything like that, it is simply about trying to collect every possible penny of tax.
    Might need a little help proving the cost of parts are close to the value stated.

• glad it was not lost, I was fearing the worst and feeling really bad for you... In the future, should you say that it is parts being returned? Or possible, put unique model number on it, and the invoice customs label, post the unit on your webpage as being for sale, with a price but out of stock ;-)

• Too late now, but you could build a web site with the advertised price in big flashing numbers for a lot less than $4000.