StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Mother of Dragon is here!

13»

Comments

• Never any problems, the desert is an interesting place.

• I know that 25 amp is too low. There will be a meeting soon with us who are interested in buying those sheds. I hope that it will be posssible to negotiate for more electricity. Or else I'm back to square one.

I will actually own my place and $235 is the constructors calculations on a loan. Thats why the monthly cost is so low. $235 for a lease is extremely cheap even here.

• @jacksonbrown said: No gas? LPG?

That may be the solution in the end. I admit though I'm a bit afraid to use gas. Here in our Nordic countries we electrify everything. For example our cookers.

• Get a self contained gas boiler and run steam

• edited February 2016

First question I'd ask is whether or not those units are zoned for any kind of commercial/industrial operation. At that price, with such little electrical capacity, those seem more like storage sheds for contractors, etc - you know, a place to park the trucks, keep some inventory, tools, etc. You really only need enough power for lights and maybe some light tools in that case.

But, as good as the price is, if you have no power and no gas, you aren't going to be able to do much of anything there. 25 amps is a complete non-starter. Even 100 amps is low, unless you have gas or oil to run a boiler. Geez, even a gas boiler here in the states is going to require a dedicated 20 amp circuit, and 2 of them if you have a condensate/blowdown system (not that they'll draw that).

• 200 amps is rather limiting for that matter.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thanks guys! Really glad to have you to discuss with or else I would be rushing into things without thinking it through :) I emailed the constructor and he said that it is three phase so I will get 10 kW with 400V. But that is still too low.

The sheds are meant to be for all kinds of businesses, even industrial.

• 400v @ 25amp = 10kw

The higher voltage doesn't really provide any more flexibility at the low amperage.

• He couldn't give me any higher amperage so now I'm back searching for another industrial place.

• edited February 2016

For a start up, finding the right site is critical. If you are running on a tight budget, as we all are, making the wrong site selection can mean you are out of business before you start.

This is more important than anything else. Everyone seems to make a big to-do about the distillation equipment, which is a very minor piece of the enterprise.

I'm starting to see it more often. Someone selects a site, signs a lease, starts building out - and BOOM - now you find a major issue that can't be fixed, or will cost an astronomical amount of money to fix.

To spend a small fortune on site build-out, to have to throw it all away.

Finding a deal-breaker in a site selection is a POSITIVE - not a NEGATIVE - as it's one less thing that could have bit you in the ass later.

What usually ends up happening is you need to compromise - unless you are lucky enough to have all the stars align for you.

• I just got another mail from the constructor. They have done some discussion after my mail and have decided to provide 50A just for me if I sign a contract. They will lay down a larger cable in the ground for this building.

I totaly agree @grim! I can't afford to make any costly misstakes with my tiny budget. Determination about the distilling equipment may be the most enjoyable part of building this enterprise. But I'm done with that at almost 100%. If I buy from SD, as I surely will do, I think I know what I want for the start up.

Everything depends on finding a site which won't ruin me. Update will follow :)

• edited February 2016

I wish I had 400 amps and three phase... And I'm not very big.

• God speed Mother

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I went to 400amps installed because the only dif in cost was the service wire ($3usd a foot) and a larger safety disconnect ($1,200 with fuses). The price on the disconnect was insane. Everything else was the same.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• I would like to give you an update on my progress :) Today I signed a contract on this buildning. This is the first building I spoke of on the premises where they use to make paper a few years ago. This particular building has been a fire station and an office. And look behind it! A lot of electrical power! I will have my 200A :-D

I have decided to use the office part of the building. It is about 120 square meters. Not the most ultimate place, but compared to the garage part, I will not become bankrupt. The refurbishments of the garage and the heating will cost a lot of money.

I will have one room for fermentation and one for distilling. There is also a conference room where I can have meetings and tasting events. I still have to solve where the barrels will be stored.

2016-03-16 16.45.50.jpg
    800 x 450 - 68K
  • Wow, that's great progress, congratulations. Please keep us posted.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Good luck MOD. All that snow looks too cold for this Kangaroo.

• Thank you! It's melting here at last. In a week or two we won't have a snowflake left :) But you can have snow Argentina too, can't you? @DonMateo

• Doesn't look like a lot of height in there? What size column will you fit? Nice old building.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• It's normal room height, but my plan is to make rum so I don't have to use a long column. The owner has given me free hands with the building so if I want to, I can do the same as the Tevsjö Distillery did (picture)

Tevsjö.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
  • MOD, yes there is snow in Argentina but not where I live in Mendoza. I grew up in the north of Australia where it never gets cold. Well it gets really cold in Winter, like about 5 deg C, which is not so bad if your from Scandanavia.