StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• @punkin said: I haven't done it yet, but there's no reason you couldn't stuff them. Maybe with bread seasoning, but bacon and cheese or apples and blue cheese some jam and jalapeno or something? Anything could go in there.

Oh god that does sound spectacular.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2016

Getting better at these chicken bombs. I've still marinaded in a mixture of teryaki and cola syrup but i figured out if you get them out of the muffin tin 3/4 of the way through and put them on a flat tray they brown up all over instead of stewing in the marinade and going grey on the sides.

Meanwhile back at the palace a couple of heritage pork hands are pumped full of sage and garlic brine and marinading ready for a date with a hot oven.

Dunno if Moonshine could eat both, but i wouldn't bet against him.

chickenbombs2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
    pighands.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Bourbon apple pie done, throwing a chicken in the oven.

Nothing like a big meal with 2 feet of fresh snow outside.

• edited January 2016

Wooot

Pretty sure @SDeurope could have gotten through both of them once he saw them.

porkhands1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 124K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited January 2016

Definitely looks interesting, Garry, but what I'd like to see is some outstanding Braised Pork including recipe, as we currently have a nice pork belly w/ bones in the fridge.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Can do. Maybe American style in Cola syrup?

Or Chinese in honey soy?

Japanese Teryaki?

Morrocan Tagine with chick peas and spices?

Apple cider and sage?

German style with carraway and beer?

• Yes

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Moroccan braised pork.
    =))
    I would have copped a slap up the back of the head from my boss for that one.
    I did a pork shoulder slow braised in a really nice beer once. It had lots a carrot and sweet veg with caraway in it and I reduced the liquid down to make the sauce after wards with a bit of butter added in it to thicken. You should get a master stock going and do a red braise.

• I don't have the room in the freezer for an ice cube let alone a bucket of master stock with all these pigs we have been getting.
    I have done that before though and it worked out well.

I usually do Tagines with goat as you are suppossed to, but food has no boundaries here. You can ask the grand kids who've enjoyed Vegemite Pies and last weekend had crumpets with peanut butter and popping candy for breakfast.

• edited January 2016

You can make pies with Vegemite?! Who knew?
    I've been using it to pack wheel bearings...

• It goes alright in ice cream too. Tastes like a malted.

• @SDeurope said: we currently have a nice pork belly w/ bones in the fridge.

Must be a European thing. Our pork bellies don't have any bones. Those pigs must be like armadillos if they have bones in the bellies.

• Maybe the bellies and the bones just happen to be next to each other in the fridge...

• No! The bones must be in the bellies.

• edited January 2016

I've chopped up a few pigs and the rib bones are part of what we call the belly at the top half.

Can see it in this pic.

Ont_Pork_cut_chart_mar8_2012.jpg
    800 x 341 - 61K

• Over here the bellies are typically thought of as bacon. Next up the pig would be spare ribs followed by baby backs.

• edited January 2016

We do bacon using the loin and belly of larger pigs, so our bacon is different looking and much better than yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIj703AA_g

Regular smaller pigs then we do the belly as spare ribs (cut across the rib), rolled belly, US style ribs (just bones, you guys would be ashamed to call them ribs) and whole belly. You can specify at the butchers to leave bone in or do it bone out, if i order one i usually get bone in and get them to whip the skin off as it crackles much better cooked off the meat.

bellycuts.jpg
    800 x 219 - 25K

• Pork Belly for Braised Pork Shanghai Style

pork_belly_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    pork_belly_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Hong Shao Rou eh?

• Braised Pork Shanghai Style w/ Dark & Light Soy Sauce on Jasmine Rice Bed

It would have been OK to eat just that plate, but the kids didn't like it, so I ate their portions TOO! >:)

Praise the Gods [-O<
    Good to know, that the MythBusters have confirmed, that the stomach can not burst by overfeeding! 8-X

braised_pork_1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K
    braised_pork_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K

• Puh,,,,too much lean beautiful meat for a true shanghai style lol.

Looks fantastic.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Can't be Shanghai style there's not a little fucking bone in every piece :))

• Szechuan chicken gizzard for lunch.
    Might get some Bacalao soaking for tomorrow :)

• edited January 2016

You got me going with the szechuan thing, not so much with the gizzard thing...(pics or it didn't happen btw)

so i reckon i can make a marinade out of these ingredients for the chicken thigh cutlets i got out of the freezer this morning. Cooked over charcoal for tea tonight i'm a little excited.

ingredients1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 74K

• What no sesame oil?

• Did something very similar last week. I recommend scorching the dried chilli first.

• edited January 2016

I toasted the schecuan peppers but didn't use dried chilli, just some chilli bean paste.

Yeah, i'll brush with sesame oil and lime before the coals Grim.

• How about this?

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K
  • @punkin said: You got me going with the szechuan thing,

Man, that Chinese trip really got into your head, didn't it? Remember, you gotta leave some bone fragments in there.