StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

StillDragon North America Bulletin Board

Comments

• 1,2,3,6,8,12,66,77,3,9 ....

• Look at all those sexy big boilers!

• What do you do with the empty crates?

• I put mine out the front for sale for dog kennels, cubby houses or chook sheds if i have the ute spare. Last lot i gave them all away to a farmer for grain storage.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hey Gilligan!....errr I mean @Smaug just received my shipment and the usps gorilla did not get a chance to mess it up. Matter of fact UPS did not even as much as put a scratch on the box. Glad you switched to them, plus the UPS delivery gal is a hot blondie >:) Thanks again for handling my order with blazing speed. U tha man. Maybe I will have some eye candy to post this coming weekend, the 4", 4plate ProCap36 CD...

captains_delivery_arrived_intact.jpg
    800 x 451 - 63K
  • Sorry, just found out @Law_Of_Ohms is actually Gilligan.... :( guess that leaves you out @-)

• I dunno, the hat in that picture is pretty suspicious. We may have a new candidate :D

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Just curious when we might see the 5" listed and ready for purchase?

• @Wallybox said: Just curious when we might see the 5" listed and ready for purchase?

We hit a snag and I reported it on another thread...

And to make matters worse, he reports that all of the 5" dephlegmators were accidentally made in 6". Considering the scale of this last shipment that's a very low error rate but it puts a damper on the launch of the 5" column.

The 5" dephlegmators are being made and will be expressed to USA as soon as possible. I ordered a few extra for my shelves here, too.

• @Lloyd said: The 5" dephlegmators are being made and will be expressed to USA as soon as possible. I ordered a few extra for my shelves here, too.

I see. Must have missed that. Thanks.

• Waiting on licenses here in NY state. Thought I would post a pic of our custom rig. 250G with 18" manway and 4 x 5500W low density 240V elements.

littlechicagos_still.jpg
    600 x 800 - 60K
  • Is that StillDragon equipment or did you buy it from the thieves that steal from us?

• unfortunately with major parts failures(NOT YOURS) its a mix of parts from SD and "un named bad supplier whos parts had to be fixed my welder" and powered by SD controllers. The manway was speced by 3 North American suppliers @ 1600.00 plus for a 8" not sightglass manway. I ended up going with a Chinese built one . All of the parts acquired that were not SD had to be fixed.

• The 18" manway was 1/4 the price of made in usa 8" doors. I wasn't aware of any stealing or bad craftsmanship until it was too late. Oh and there was broken sight glass's also. (fish eye chips). I wont be making that mistake again.

• edited July 2014

No worries Littlechicago,

We have lots of customers that ultimately need more support for their previously purchased systems than their vendors are able to supply. It is certainly not your fault that you were not aware at the time. We are here for you anytime.

We can service any number of systems out there,, and do. As well as supply customer support pretty much 24 hours a day.

But you know that already :-c

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Is that a 6" column on a 250 gallon tank?

• 4" . We are on a budget.. we are already set to upgrade. This will be our experimental batch still eventually.

• If you are wondering how we are cooling this undersized tower. It has 2 shotgun condensers with a very over-sized chiller cooling 275G of cooling water

littlechicagos_cooling.jpg
    600 x 744 - 50K
  • edited July 2014

Yeah you have no bottleneck on the cooling side with that chiller, but a 4" column on a full tote of wash, that's bordering on sadomasochism.

Weld in 2 more heating elements to bring you heat up time down, with 22kw you are looking at about 2.5 hours heat up time. If you've got the power to run that monster chiller, you can spare a couple more kw. That should bring you closer to an hour/hour and a half.

A typical run, from fill to clean would probably take somewhere north of 24 hours straight, spirit run could theoretically take somewhere around 48 hours straight.

No worries, Mr. Smaug can set you up right.

• @Littlechicago any suggestions where to get a 12" sightglass manway?

• I WOULD SUGGEST SMAUG AT STILLDRAGON....

I HEAR HE HAS SOME OK STUFF AND IS A KINDA NICE GUY AT TIMES... UNLIKE THAT PUNKIN GUY IN AUSTRALIA...

HERE IS HIS LINK: http://www.stilldragon.com/manwayshatches.html

• Y'all must be tiny to be able to fit through a 12" manway.

• @FullySilenced said: I WOULD SUGGEST SMAUG AT STILLDRAGON....

I don't think any of those have a sightglass built in.

• We can do that if needed.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2014

We've added sightglasses to the manways on a number of boilers.
    It wouldn't be a problem to produce just the manway with a sightglass but I doubt there is enough room on a 12" for a 6" glass - but maybe...

Edit: Yikes, read your post wrong @jbierling, not sure why I thought you wanted a 6" glass in a 12" manway. I find the glass in my mayway very hard to see through during a run because of the fogging and probably because it is almost horizontal. Placed more vertical might help.

• And that gets me to thinking that perhaps a smear of glycerine or something on the inside of the glass might shed the fog vapors and increase visibility. I saw that trick years ago to prevent eyeglasses from fogging when walking from an air conditioned room to a hot and humid area.

• I could try glycerine. I've thought about antifog before but was leery of introducing any chemicals to the boiler. I'd think glycerine should be ok.

I'm just looking for something that's better than using one of my top 2" triclamp ports for a 2" sightglass which barely allows you to see anything (like rising foam).

I suppose another option is to simply find a welder that could cut and weld a sightglass in, or maybe add a 4" or larger triclamp connection which would allow the attachment of anything.

• Uncolored, unscented beeswax works too. In a pinch spit works very well. Apply, buff till polished.

• @grim +1 on the spit. Used to do it scuba diving all the time....but..spit in my boiler?? :-O

• :))

Yeah I didn't really think anyone would do that, at least I hope not.

However, I do think that the source of most lacto infections during mashing is the masher's mouth. Dip finger, taste mash, yum, dip finger again. So maybe a spit based sour mashing process is something one of the pro guys wants to use to help differentiate!

;)