StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Fester's Corner

Comments

• edited July 2013

Unfortunately, I have to say this is a risk of being copied as soon as you sell a unique product, maybe it's time to rebrand all still dragons products to SD ORIGINAL .... Why buy a bad copy when you can buy original ...... I have some "new" ideas that I will try and work it so I share this with you. Now have a warm and sunny vacation so you need to quench your thirst all the time ;-)

Cheers from a hot and cloudy Sweden.

• Aaaah you are talking about Fully Subsidised Developments are you not =)) :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Sorry for the rant, I get a bit testy when someone takes credit for our work.
    Karma will sort them out.

• Oh my!! Packaging the Gin Baskets is hard work!
    I ordered extra heavy duty boxes and they are very hard to bend into shape but the entire packing scheme is geared to protecting the filter baskets THAT FINALLY ARRIVED TODAY.
    We completed many sub-assemblies but only 6 complete GB4 kits (Gin Basket 4") today before we ran out of time and steam.

The filter baskets arrived in 2 absolutely beautiful wooden crates (I'm starting to appreciate a well built crate). We have no need for the crates but they are so well built we can't toss them out. We don't have a forklift to load a heavy crate onto a truck but the crates were filled with filter baskets that take a lot of room but weigh next to nothing so they were easy to offload from the delivery truck.

The goal is to get 20 GB4's into the boiler container as soon as possible so the container can be shipped to the US.

This is our last major project before taking two weeks off and heading out on vacation. I've been planting little seeds here and there that I'd like to visit distilleries but Tan doesn't seem to take the hints. She seems somehow to think that anything to do with distilling is somehow connected with work. Imagine that!!

Its her vacation so I gave her a small boatload of cash to manage the trip so I don't need to worry about a thing. She chooses everything, I'll just follow her.
    My standard response usually is, "Whatever you want Darling, up to you". Seems to work OK so far.

I really want to run the inline carbon filter test but all the spare time is taken right now by trying to quickly get as much as I can into the 40' container that's bound for port Miami.

• Good stuff mate, you enjoy your trip so when you come back fresh you can start working on my sea freight order :))

Great work on the gin baskets, save some for me though i have customers waiting.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Well the inline carbon filter idea just absolutely sucked.
    Even with a TINY trickle of water through the dephlem the carbon chamber flooded. As in completely filled up.
    So I thought maybe it should be place above the dephlem instead of under it. Anyway, I disabled the dephlem and ran it out just to recover the alcohol in potstill mode and I could not taste a difference in the before and after neutral I ran through so I'm giving this one 2 thumbs down.

• Did it,
    50 gin baskets ready to go. whew.

• Well done mate.

• I've wanted to visit Kunming for quite a long time, at least for 5 years since I heard about it. We thought to go there for our holiday but the recent heavy rains has triggered mudslides that have covered buses and killed people so we are rethinking our travel plans now.
    Tan is a meticulous planner but now we think to just "wing it". We're considering doing a train tour. That's where you select a train and simply get off at a major stop for a few days to explore the city and continue on to the next. No planning. No timetable. Just move about freely and go where the wind blows you.

To me, the whole idea is to simply get lost in this amazing country because my home city of Yangzhou has become so familiar now - it holds too few surprises after living here for three years. Familiar is nice, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I yearn for unabashed never-been-here-never-seen-that-before.

• edited July 2013

Kunming...

kunming_flood.jpg
    448 x 586 - 61K
  • The Blowing in the Wind style of travel can be very fun. We did that in Mexico. Spent 2 weeks and explored 1000 miles of the Mexican west coast line from Mazatlan to Tecoman. Was one of the best times I have ever had traveling. No Plans stopped when we wanted to. Left when we wanted to....

• That pork shoulders getting cold there Uncle.

• @punkin said: That pork shoulders getting cold there Uncle.

@FullySilenced never sent my take out order so I'll try another restaurant :P

• @RedDoorDistillery, it just feels odd to travel without a destination.

I've never felt unsafe while traveling anywhere in China, but to the contrary, as everyone here seems to looking out for me. Most people in the larger cities are used to seeing the occasional foreigner but in the small cities and villages my presence can cause quite a stir.
    About a year ago we visited a friend's home village and they held a feast for us, with beer provided by the village mayor so he could sit in B-)

• Well, blankiety blank blank... a typhoon (AKA hurricane) recently blew into south China and most of the country is now getting heavy rain.
    I'm lost as to why a Chinese girl can take 3 long showers a day but thinks she will die if she gets rained on.
    Looks like we are heading north instead of south as we had intended to do.
    That's OK as it gives me another crack at Beijing's famous food streets. :D :D

• Which way is szechuan? That's where i'd be heading if i got the chance.

• Sichuan Province is in the very middle of the country and the home of the giant pandas. Its known for its very spicy hot food and I'm sure your Thai Terror would be a hit there. They are also experiencing some flooding and are recovering from a recent earthquake.
    I live not far from Shanghai on the east coast (not that China has a west coast).

This blowing-in-the-wind has turned into running-away-from-the-rain.

• mmmm spicy hot food punkin

• I got a hard on for 'sichuan hot sour soup' atm

• edited July 2013

@Law_Of_Ohms said: I got a hard on for 'sichuan hot sour soup' atm

:-O

• Beijing's famous food streets! I'm such a foodie, keep the pictures coming!

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Hi Lloyd, have you ever thought of getting one of the electronic factories to make you a electronic temp sensor connected to a motorized valve on the dephlag cooling feed, it would be simple to set at 78degrees and automatically retain temp for spirit takeoff, just another of my brainfart ideas

OD

• Olddog, you draw it and maybe I can build it. I'm an electridiot and tend to let out ALL of the magic blue smoke. I do however have an ace up my sleeve, Law Of Ohms. Between his smarts and my rugged good looks we usually get things done.

I also would like to semi-automate some of the mundane grunt work like fiddling with needle valves. Its been said many times before that a $2 microchip can perform hundreds of operations at thousands of times the speed of a human. At my age you could probably add another zero. A few bucks to set the dephlem to a constant stable temp would be a godsend.

• SD Automation for the Home Distiller! Great idea!! :-bd

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• SD Automation would be fantastic. If you're going down this path Lloyd, can you please seek ideas from members here similar to the bowl/conical thread?

I'm sure this would interest a lot of people :D

• Sounds like Odin's needle valve setup on the istill.... or similar

• edited July 2013

@olddog said: Hi Lloyd, have you ever thought of getting one of the electronic factories to make you a electronic temp sensor connected to a motorized valve on the dephlag cooling feed, it would be simple to set at 78degrees and automatically retain temp for spirit takeoff, just another of my brainfart ideas

This would be very, very cool.

• Agreed... I would buy one.

• edited July 2013

Take a look... this is what you are talking about and want to have

A small Commercially Distillery built in Sweden from scratch, adapted to Swedish Laws and Regulation

Dephlegmator Control Center - Distillery Controls

But if a shall bought a controllpanel today, i have bought this that have it all .... inside 1pc controllpanel,,,insted of 2pc that a need (have) to do same thing....

Integrated Distillery & Dephlegmator Control Center - Distillery Controls

With that, I want to show that you will also need Constant cooling to the product cooler so either you have 2pc valve that switches or valve and 1pc pressure valve that cater constant flow regardless of refuxcooler need refrigeration-coolingwater or not ... ore maybe a elektroniskt 3 way valve( this is what a personally was looking in to)....1pc pid 100 and 1pc controll unit that is compatibel with pid 100 and watervalve....

Cheers :D :

• It should not be hard to work out for an electronics nerd. My digital temp gauge can be set to sound an alarm when it exceeds the required temperature, the power used to sound the alarm could be used to trigger a solenoid to activate a motorized valve to provide more cooling to the dephleg. My electronics knowledge is a bit basic and legoish but I can't see why it can't be done.