StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

I DID IT

Comments

• @cothermandistilling my valve is a solenoid which probably accounts for the big differences. I would love to have swings of 0.1 I fiddled with my PID on full reflux for 5 hours to get it to 0.5 degrees. I think to get it much lower I would need a proportional valve like you have. I don't understand much about electrical devices so I am not sure if my box would accept a proportional valve. I'm rather pleased with 0.5 degree accuracy though.

@lloyd try my PID settings and see how you go, we have the same dephlem, valve and PID. The only other variable I think will impact the result is water pressure. I also found I had to fiddle with settings to get head, hearts. When I got my first stable result on heads I increased the heat and it stood on heads anyway! Decreasing i from 360(max) to 15 seem to fix that issue it.

• I had better shit to do today, trust me.....

I learned how to decompile a smartphone app to get a table out of it....

I learned how to install SQLite and run it from a command prompt to export to a .csv...

I give you the RAW Data of TTB Table 1 (XLS)

now, someone like @Kapea can do that double interpolation... thanks for volunteering, buddy ;-)

xls
    xls
    proof.xls
  • I learned Android Studio enough for this:

1.jpg
    426 x 800 - 19K
  • Learning android so I can write the proofing app... Time to go to bed... I remember why I hate writing code...

2.jpg
    453 x 800 - 22K
  • I had to do way too much of that shit in college. I was good at it ( my professors made sure of that) Three words sum it up. Tedium ad nauseum...

But it sure is nice when it is written and working!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• every 5 years or so, I get sucked back in because it is impossible to get others to do something the way I want it done...

• I went a dished out a couple hundred slices for a cheap 32" TV and connected it to the computer. I no longer need chrome set to 150% to squint at my widescreen monitor.B-) DA:O

YippFuckingEeeePunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Why so small? No room amongst all the silver things?

Spring for a couple more video cards and build an array!

• edited March 2015

Ha. It sure takes up some room on the desk. I'm not a gamer and don't watch video cept for the odd youtube, so it's only connected via VGA as my little computer has no flash video card. But i can read the forums now and work on spreadsheets without squinting.

I'll probably end up with a sun tan though.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• They'll be able to see you from the space station, "Lookif Punkin down there sellin' all those silver things!"

• I hope it was a good deal, @punkin, because a TV usually is not really suitable as desktop monitor. It has a too low pixel density and completely different brightness / contrast / color settings optimized for watching TV from a distance and not for working directly in front of it. Connecting it by VGA makes the digital signal from the computer go analog and back to digital in the TV, causing pixel inaccuracy. May not be good for your eyes, watch out for headaches and eye dryness. :-B

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Yeah if the tv is a 1080I or P and he can get it hooked up to a good video card... he will be rocking... get away from the VGA as soon as possible... and go with something HDMI...

• I did it...my first stripping run. 10 gallons of UJSM which gave me 1.25 gallons of low wines at 40%, stripping 10 more gallons tomorrow and adding to my low wines. Soon I'll have enough for a spirit run. So much to learn but enjoying the ride!

• @Kdog said: I did it...my first stripping run. 10 gallons of UJSM which gave me 1.25 gallons of low wines at 40%, stripping 10 more gallons tomorrow and adding to my low wines. Soon I'll have enough for a spirit run. So much to learn but enjoying the ride!

WTG.

Cheers.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• i usually get tween 8-11 litres from a 40l ujsm. I use 8kg sugar and some malt. Although that is stripping on a potstill from 68-20%

• edited March 2015

Thanks for that info @punkin, I ran potstill from 70-15%. I just racked off my supposed 10 gallons of gen 2 ujsm and realized I'm really only getting about 6.5-8 gallons of wash. I think that is accounting to my low yield of low wines. I'm guessing I need to add some more water to my beginning ferment. My wash alcohol is about 9.5%. Is it better to have a little lower wash abv?

• Thanks Smaug!!!

• In my shotty hotel room still I hit 95% after 6 runs. Yippie!

• @LocalGoat said: In my shotty hotel room still I hit 95% after 6 runs. Yippie!

That you can call INCREDIBLE POT DISTILLING :)>-

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• It was brutal but I forced myself to go for the ghusto.

• Never underestimate the power of a man and his pot.

• edited March 2015

Bluetooth, i'm catching up with the world as it was a few years ago, but progress still.

My Samsung phone has a biggish card in it that i have uploaded a stack of music to.
    I bought a UE Boom portable speaker that impresses everyone who hears it and take my music where i like.

I thought the bluetooth stuff was so good that i bought a bluetooth usb stick for the car stereo and can play my juke box from the phone through the car speakers as well.

Loved that so much that i just got a Yamaha YBA 11 Bluetooth receiver for the home theater, and got it up and running this morning. :D

Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver

I know it's old hat for the younger generation, but i'm pleased as punch.

• I love my Bose SoundLink III Bluetooth Speaker. The sound is amazing. I stream music to it from my phone and iPad everywhere I go fishing/camping/beaching... If the campfire photo I posted to the Wordless Photo thread had sound you would hear it playing. It gets around 12hrs of play time on a charge. I can recharge it with my Anker portable solar panel on long camping trips.

• edited April 2015

+1 @punkin
    I'm less portable but have my speakers hardwired through the house with an airplay receiver. That way I can stream and change my music from my iPad and phone whenever I feel like it

• edited December 2015

@vooharmy said: cothermandistilling

p = 205
    i =  10
    d =  15

Works great for me.

@CothermanDistilling @vooharmy

Maybe either one of you can help me...

I've purchased a myPin TA4 with a 4-20mA output and have issues tuning it. I've already checked that the output and the valve work together (manual mode 0 output to 100 output and the valve follows).

I'm trying to follow the Ziegler-Nichols tuning method and am failing at tuning the P parameter already. Starting off with low values of P, I'm already getting increasing amplitudes. My understanding would be that as I'm increasing P, the speed of the amplitude increase peak to peak should increase but as I'm increasing P (doubling from .5 until 1000) there's less and less response from the controller.

Also, I already tried both of your settings to see if either one works ("the lazy route") and have oscillations with various amplitudes.

Do I not get the math model of my controller right or could the be the controller?

Thanks!!!

• edited December 2015

I don't know what your controller is, but if increasing your P is providing less response from the valve, it might be that your P is "Proportional Band" and is actually working the opposite of "Proportional Gain". Ziegler-Nichols assumes "Proportional Gain" I believe, so you might need to actually reduce P to increase the oscillations/amplitude.

1. you should post the full model number of your MyPin TA4
    2. you should attach or link the operator's manual

that gives us more time to actually help you!

edit -
    add a detailed description or photos, so we can see where your temp probe is and what other things might effect it.

you do have it set for 'cooling', not 'heating', right?

• @unsensibel importantly the PID values that I provided where for a solenoid setup not a proportional valve. I have all the parts for a prop conversion but haven't gone this way yet, as I really have no free time until next year.

• edited December 2015

I've been staring at this thing for too long & forgot to give enough details:

It's a myPin TA4-INR: myPin TA Manual (PDF)

Plumbing set-up is as follows:

• Prop valve -> PC -> RC
    • Using city water for coolant which comes in @ 15C/60F at the moment
    • PT100 probe (from Auber) is inside RC about half way

And yes - mode is set to cooling (and it's plugged in) ;) I've already tried eliminating the obvious. Temp is displayed correctly and the valve is actuating per output (the PID has a setting where you can monitor the output %age and it seems to align with the valve position observed).

I think @grim pointed me in the right direction with the prop band vs. gain & it looks like I've ran in the wrong direction. I wish that they would have somewhere posted their math model of the controller and how the parameters influence it. Now I'm wondering if ZN tuning is the right approach as it seems to be designed for interactive algorithms and there's other methods for non-interactive algorithms...

What are your controller inputs quantified as? Gain or Prop band? I/D in minutes/seconds?

pdf
    pdf
    myPin TA manual.pdf
    4M
    Setup.jpg
    600 x 800 - 65K