StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How do you drink your Rum?

2»

Comments

• Never thought of Rum on Ginger Ale before. And serving suggestion?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I will usally mix 1.5oz/44ml of 45-50 abv with 4oz-5oz /118-148 ml of Canada Dry Ginger Ale or Vernors ginger ale,with a couple of ice cubes. The Canada dry is better in my opinon because it is not so sweet,will be trying this with smaugs suggestion of adding Grapefruit bitters this weekend!

It is what you make it!

• Its called a dark and stormy, been around in Australia since rum was invented lol.

• I drink rum with coke mainly, but also like it with fanta when I'm feeling emotional haha.

• I may be mistaken in my post SDeurope were you asking about Ginger Ale the beer or Ginger ale the soda,mine is for soda,Ginger beer is hard to find here unless you go to a micro brew(which does not sell spirits),or buy commercial beer,then you have the third choice make your own swmbo frowned on that one when it was mentioned,her statement was"then I will never see you"! [-X

It is what you make it!

• @bentstick said: I may be mistaken in my post SDeurope were you asking about Ginger Ale the beer or Ginger ale the soda,mine is for soda

Yes, was about soda, never seen Ginger Ale as in beer around here. I know Canada Dry, but I don't know if I can get it locally. Seen only "Schweppes Ginger Ale" recently, we usually don't buy any soda with sugar in it. Another one is the Grapefruit bitter which I've never seen before. AFAIK it contains alcohol by itself and is supposed to be a cocktail flavoring?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Grapefruit bitters is new to me also,as all bitters are never used them,so this part will be new!

It is what you make it!

• Yes the bitters are made from macerating dry grapefruit skins and hops and a few other items in hi proof.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: Yes the bitters are made from macerating dry grapefruit skins and hops and a few other items in hi proof.

And it's literally a single drop?

I'm thinking of a Copa glass filled with 10 large ice cubes, 60 ml Rum, 200 ml Ginger Ale and one drop of bitter (if I can find one).

• edited June 2013

@SDeurope said: I'm thinking of a Copa glass filled with 10 large ice cubes, 60 ml Rum, 200 ml Ginger Ale and one drop of bitter (if I can find one).

An eye dropper full is quite lovely in a 200-250ml cocktail.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Had to give up on the Bitter. There was only a single product from Angostura in the supermarket and they wanted 12 € ~ $15.75 for a tiny 200 ml bottle. :-O

Didn't get a chance to try the Ginger Ale cocktail yet, I have now three different "Schweppes" bottles at home for mixing:

• American Ginger Ale (obviously for the Rum; there is no Dry Canadian available here)
    • Indian Tonic Water (obviously for the Gin; there is no other brand available at all)
    • Original Bitter Lemon (not sure if for Rum or Gin)

Should offer some opportunities for experimentation, it all comes down to the large Copa glass with ten large ice cubes, 60 ml booze (for me, wife only gets 40 ml as per Alcohol consumption recommendation) and 200 ml of the soda.

• Made it back out to Our Job On Mackinaw Island the last two days and >:D< they had Ginger beer at our favorite pub,I finally had the Dark and stormy,in my opinion it gets a :-c very good and damn the bar tender must likes us, Show of hands how many here have had to ride a bicycle after some time of drinking,WOW

It is what you make it!

• edited June 2013

Had that Ginger Ale Rum cocktail yesterday to the season premiere of Under the Dome, due to the lack of bitters we used Grapefruit juice instead, which just gave the right touch. So this was

10 large ice cubes in a Copa glass
    60 ml Rum
    200 ml American Ginger Ale
    40 ml Grapefruit Juice

It was very nice! :)

• edited June 2013

@bentstick said: Made it back out to Our Job On Mackinaw Island the last two days and >:D< they had Ginger beer at our favorite pub,I finally had the Dark and stormy,in my opinion it gets a :-c very good and damn the bar tender must likes us, Show of hands how many here have had to ride a bicycle after some time of drinking,WOW

=;

• I do an aged, caramel-colored rum, a Zaya knockoff, that I like neat. My son-in-law got me turned on to my Sailor Jerry imitation with tonic. That's pretty nice in hot weather.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• ZBob you have got to share, what's a Sailor Jerry? Never heard of it.
    And please post your Zaya recipe.
    Your book is a treasure and having an autographed copy is very special to me.
    That you sent it to me to China is even more special.

For anyone here that doesn't know about it, you might consider putting a link to your book in your sig line. For beginners it should be required reading. It helped me to enjoy a 22 hour long train ride and when done I was hungry for more. Waiting for Volume 2.

• Hey, Lloyd, long time no talk. You've been a busy lad.

Sailor Jerry is just a spiced rum available in the US, that I like just a bit better than Captain Morgan's, and it's great in either tonic or black tea. I can give you my recipe for it, but your execution might be different, because it's based on amounts of spice tinctures that were sort of arbitrarily created. For example the cinnamon: "fill a jar with good cinnamon sticks, cover with 100-proof neutral and wait a long time." Most of the tinctures are pretty much like that.

The "Sailor Jerry" recipe:

In 750ml of white rum, 9 ml cinnamon-stick tincture 2 drops of clove tincture 2.5 ml star anise tincture 12.5 ml fresh ginger maceration 9 ml home-made caramel 2.5 ml nutmeg tincture 6.25 ml meyer lemon zest maceration 5.0 ml Costco vanilla extract

I use drugstore 3ml syringes for measuring . I think they're used for measuring oral baby medicines.

The Zaya was simply my regular rum (more on that later), aged for a year on oak (I'd nuke it now), and with enough homemade caramel added to get a comparable sweetness to Zaya, and then do the same with prepared vanilla. Nothing complicated (and it's a pretty close knockoff), but it needs a smooth aged flavorful rum. Caramel's tricky and kinda dangerous to make, but if anyone needs it, I think I can find the procedure I use.

As for the rum, I figured the Caribbean rum makers had inefficiently-processed sugar waste (molasses) that still contained lots more sugar (sucrose, table sugar) than the molasses we buy now, most especially than the great-tasting but wickedly strong agricultural molasses from the feed store.

With that in mind, my rum wash is a simple sugar wash, at about 1.040 specific gravity, for about 10% potential alcohol. I then add sufficient agricultural molasses to get the flavor density I think I'm aiming for (I can't tell you exact amount; my notes aren't available). Because the molasses Brix is usually rated in the 80's or 90's, that will raise the SG noticeably, but because there is so much unfermentable sugar in the molasses, the potential alcohol will not be raised as much as the SG change would seem to indicate. Check to see that your molasses doesn't have urea added.

Potstill in collected fractions, make the cuts and combine, and you'll have rum with a heavy a flavor as you desire, from light to almost thick tasting (I kinda like mine that way, and that's what I used for the "Zaya")

By the way, thanks for the kind words, Lloyd, and note my new sig.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits