StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How do you drink your Rum?

Doesn't all the talk about Rum, Molasses and @SugarDaddy's Panela make you lust for a glass of it?

Around here it's all about "Cuba Libre", which can look like this on a hot summer evening:

• Large glass filled half with crushed ice
  • Some freshly pressed lemon or lime juice including some pulp
  • 60 ml of your favorite Rum
  • Topped with your favorite brand of Diet Coke till glass is full

Complies with the health guideline for consuming alcohol (if you are male and stick to one glass of it). ;)

So how do you drink your Rum? Who is drinking it pure or on the rocks?

Share your Rum experience! :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• I can't stand the taste of the sugar subistute in diet coke, so I just use classic coke. Rest of my family just go "why screw up spirits by mixing them". Not so fussed on straight rum myself.

• Sometimes mixed with Canada Dry ginger ale.Vernors ginger ale(much sweeter),sometimes straight on the rocks,spiced,sometimes with clothes on,sometimes not,ohhh sorry giving tmi, =)) =)) =))

We also soaked some morels in some Panela rum for about 20 mins and then saute'd in butter,VERY good!

It is what you make it!

• Straight, when it is hot here (most of the time) I put 2 glasses with a thick bottom in the freezer and change them each drink.

• When its hot here i just put ice in the funnel.... :))

• edited June 2013

Usually straight, room temp for max flavour and nose. Sometimes I add a little water (maybe up to 10% water). Just like I drink Whisk(e)y, Brandy etc.

Off topic: Vodka straight from the freezer. Mixers and ice usually used only in cocktails, Pastis, and with neutral from sugar.

• I'm not a great fan of sweet drinks so mostly its water. In warm weather I do like ice sometimes soda water.

• I tried making mojitos Saturday. And I ended up sucking down around 6 of them. I wasn't feeling anything. I think I have found my new hot day drink.

6 or so mint leaves. Juice of one lime. Two teaspoon sugar. Muddle it together. Add around 4 to 6 oz of rum. Add a splash or two club soda. Ice to fill glass. Drink and repeat.

• Straight or with a bit of ice.

• Dark & Stormy - Rum & Ginger beer on ice. Awesome @ cask strength - you don't need many of em :))

• Hot Buttered Rum

If it's one thing we need to give credit to the Americans for, it's a range of delicious hot winter drinks. One of my favourite indulgent winter treats has to be Hot Buttered Rum – an American invention dating back to colonial times. As the sugar business took off in the Caribbean, New England was flooded with molasses which from the 1650s was quickly turned into rum. America's first native spirit rum was incorporated into holiday beverages, of which this is one of the most celebrated.

To make the butter (serves 8):

• 1 cup of soft brown sugar
    • 125 grams of room temperature unsalted butter
    • 1 ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
    • 1 tsp of ground allspice
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves
    • 1 pinch of salt

To make the drink:

• Boiling water
    • 60ml of Jamaican dark rum per serve

Method:

In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar and spices. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate. To serve the drink, add two tablespoons of the mixture to a mug with 60ml of dark rum topped with boiling water. Stir and garnish with a little grated nutmeg.

Read more here.

• damn loo i gotta get more time on my hands

• edited June 2013

I have been having a love affair with grape fruit bitters for the past few months. 100ml 50% white rum, 100ml cane juice, eye dropper bitters, served over 2-3 ice cubes.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Or, 100ml 40% nuclear rum (oak,panela,clarified rum beer), 50ml 21% orange liquor served over two ice cubes

• After flooding has passed Austria is now struck by an African heatwave with temps just below 40°C and humidity around 90%. Can hardly get any work done, as my current office doesn't have A/C. :@)

So what the, we just stayed in the pool all afternoon yesterday, and then again in the evening till 10 p.m. with a large glass of such Cuba Libre. It clouds the taste of the rum, but can be so refreshing, specially when floating naked in 28°C warm saline water... :)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• How do I drink my rum?

I pour about 3 fingers of rum into a glass and guzzle that.
    Repeat as necessary.

Feel free to copy the above recipe.

• mojitos. agave nectar fresh mint ripe limes soda water. 16 Oz, glass full of ice a big shaker put a small handfull of fresh mint leaves in the bottom of shaker add 1.75-2.0 Oz. of cask strength panella Rum. squeeze the juice out of 1 lime using a lime squeezer about a teaspoon and a half of Agave nectar dump the ice from the glass into the shaker shake about 7 seconds pour back into glass add soda water throw a sprig of mint on top.

• Yes mojitos,had a few this afternoon while out on Mackinaw island,looking at my next trim job for work,the biz partner and the wife joined me as well,good day had by all!

It is what you make it!

• @bentstick said: Yes mojitos,had a few this afternoon while out on Mackinaw island,looking at my next trim job for work,the biz partner and the wife joined me as well,good day had by all!

Yours or store bought?

• @Lloyd said: How do I drink my rum?

Repeat as necessary.

Smaug, can you clarify if those are horizontal or vertical fingers please? =))

• edited June 2013

@Smaug said: Yours or store bought?

Sad to say it was not of my own makings,that is why I only had 2 before heading back to the mainland.

Our mint is about ready to be picked here so they will be of my own soon,it just has not been warm enough here to want a drink as such yet!

It is what you make it!

• Well SHMBO insists I drink it like Captain Jack, but I tell her that I put it in a glass first. :))

• 90f here for the past few days. Gonna get hotter too.

• We have lower 80's for the next couple of days then next week back to high of upper 60's,almost cold enough for snapps or PP's firepiss again,but in the mean it will be panela with a splash of Canada dry ginger ale! :)>-

It is what you make it!

• That's a nice lil cocktail Bent. The rum opens very nicely when you get your mixing ratios dialed in good and proper. Don't forget to try a drop a bitters with that also.

• @Smaug said: That's a nice lil cocktail Bent. The rum opens very nicely when you get your mixing ratios dialed in good and proper. Don't forget to try a drop a bitters with that also.

Any suggestions on type of bitters( never played with them) if there is such a thing! :!!

It is what you make it!

• @Lloyd said: How do I drink my rum?

Repeat as necessary.

I agree about the mixing ratios being dialed in although with Smaug's recipe above, it does't mater if you have a couple too many and stuff the ratio up. 2 fingers per glass tastes just the same as 4 fingers per glass. Quite an advantage there I think...

Damo

• @bentstick said: Any suggestions on type of bitters( never played with them) if there is such a thing! :!!

Grape fruit bitters. Most of the bottles have a flow restricter. Just a drop or two is all ya need.

• Haha Damo, Yes directly truthful indeed. Fortunately there is enough love for all manner of rum consumption

• last couple days been doing the nucklear oak treatment, with a twist. I use one of those hot water heaters for coffee and put a 375ml, fill level bottom of shoulder in and heat it to 150-160F, cap it and let cool. got one word. Cubalibre. have some test subjects up visiting this weekend.

I've got another super secret idea that I'm testing as well. also 5G of a panella back set I'm going to work into the next ferment.

Before Smaug, I had no interest in Rum what so ever. that was worth the price of admission right there. Cheers.