StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Tubing?

2»

Comments

• that is the cooling plumbing I want, bravo! off to eBay for 1/2" fittings...

• I really like it very much but since I change configurations often I am better off with soft lines. Not to take anything away from it. best I have seen.
    Looks like there is enough room on the threaded rods to change the bottom gasket for a CD gasket and add another plate as well. =D>

• @captainshooch said: I really like it very much but since I change configurations often I am better off with soft lines. Not to take anything away from it. best I have seen.
    Looks like there is enough room on the threaded rods to change the bottom gasket for a CD gasket and add another plate as well. =D>

Good catch there Cap. I may have to do that after some trial runs.. Thanks.

• edited December 2014

Just in case you find it usefull, in the UK the appliance hoses for washing machines and dishwashers are 10mm internal bore. You can cut off the plastic fittings slide in a length of copper tube or a hose tail adaptor and fix it with a double ear hose clamp.

I tend to use 10mm compression to 3/8BSP threaded adaptors soldered into my condensers with copper 10mm tube connections.

I do like the idea of bringing a rigid tube down to a convenient point for attaching a flexible hose. Very neat. On the last build I used 15mm copper fittings on the condenser (for rigidity) into stainless braided flexible hoses as the transition to the supply hoses.

VM Head.jpg
    640 x 546 - 40K
  • edited December 2014

flexhose update.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
    flexhose update2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 91K
  • I like that flexible vapour hose, but it works well on the coolant hoses also.

• Thanks @Myles. It is an extravagance for water management when push connect hoses would work just as well but it has bling factor.

• Man that is one sharp looking rig, Cajun. Those hard lines really give it a professional look.

Cracker

• edited December 2014

@LLoyd Wow that is a tidy looking setup , I love the practicality of the push connects but I definitely will look at something like you have in the future. Two questions!

1. The Tee above your dephlem is that your CIP solution? If so how well does it work.
    2. Where did you find the threaded tri clamps in 3/8"
    1. Yes, but its really FIP, flush in place. It works very well for me, flushing the tails out of the column so the copper does not turn black.
    2. I made them and your SD distributor stocks them. 3/4" TC x 3/8 Female NPT thread. We have quite a range of threaded TC adapters.

I want to run the 5" again after changing the valves to the output ports instead of the input but any spare time is currently being spent with the Baby Dragon. The little glass parrot is eating my lunch but the 6th set of prototypes should arrive in about 3 more days. Its one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

• I use clear tubing so I can see the water flow at all times. I also run separate lines to the RC and PC.

• I would be a little scared, but according to the mfr of one of the most common tubings out there, you are within spec..

Clear Vinyl Tubing @ Watts (PDF)

• edited December 2014

FIP_Tee.jpg
    223 x 235 - 8K
    FIP_fitting.jpg
    600 x 800 - 65K
  • Slick and sanitary column Flush In Place (FIP) fitting with a minimum of height.
    Thanks @Law_Of_Ohms for the development help.

• What sizw is it Lloyd?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• 2" with a 3/4" pull @punkin.
    It eliminates a reducer and a clamp. The idea was for FIP, flush in place, cleaning of the column but it could be useful for a VM still for the takeoff, perhaps?
    It could be made in any size.
    A 2" 180 bend with a 3/4" pull would serve the same purpose and would further reduce the height and parts count/costs. Scroll up this page to see the fitting on my 5" column that will be upgraded, its above the dephlegmator and I don't use a 180 bend because of the detached product condenser.

• edited December 2014

I've just used a torpedo half with thermowell as the reducer on my 4" still. It eliminates all these fittings and doesn't affect the original height.

a 2x3/4 short reducer allows the valve to be attached. We also already stock 180's with two 3\4 TC connections.

punkinscrystaldragon3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin looking at the thermometer with the cable tie, that's the same way I do mine - cable tie or twistier wire.

Its time we had a smarter way of hooking these up, a clip like say the old fashioned bike one that you put on the bottom of your jeans to stop it getting caught in the chain.?

a 4" and a 2" spring clip with a holder that swivels, so they can go anywhere. Oh yea, gotta be fairly cheap otherwise tight arses wont buy them over cable ties! Clip on would be best for us that reconfigure for different runs, a std pipe clamp would be for permanent setups.

Fadge

imgre1.jpg
    208 x 207 - 4K
    imgre2.jpg
    192 x 192 - 4K
  • they are already made to go in a square hole of sheet metal... make a little bracket that holds them, then make a clamp that holds onto an installed tri-clamp kinda like scope rings mount to a picatinny rail... bam, problem solved...

• Nice share. I wish those clips were easily available to me, I'd buy a few for my use.

• Good thinking. The plastic ones i've sourced from boatshops before, but i've only ever seen the metal ones now and then. Should be able to get those in stainless.

• @Lloyd said: 2" with a 3/4" pull punkin.
    It eliminates a reducer and a clamp. The idea was for FIP, flush in place, cleaning of the column but it could be useful for a VM still for the takeoff, perhaps?
    It could be made in any size.
    A 2" 180 bend with a 3/4" pull would serve the same purpose and would further reduce the height and parts count/costs. Scroll up this page to see the fitting on my 5" column that will be upgraded, its above the dephlegmator and I don't use a 180 bend because of the detached product condenser.

3/4" would be good for a 2" VM column. I was using a 1.5" and it was ridiculously too big!