StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Tubing?

edited November 2014 in General

What size is the plastic tubing that comes with the CD assembly? 3/8 or 1/2 ?

Comments

• 10mm OD if that helps.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I want to find more tubing to use with these fittings locally. may have to just take one with me and match it.

• In the US 1/2 inch od will fit

• Thanks Chalmer that will help big time.

• I would take a fitting with you for sure some tubing does not slide in and out of QD's very well.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• +1 on taking the fitting

• Our tubing is only $1 per ft.

For the money, I would reckon that you'll have a difficult time finding a better quality and value.

Also, the tubing fits the fittings.

Good luck. We are here for you if you need us.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I figure if in a pinch @Drunk_cajun wanted to be able to source locally. Hope he tells us if that works well for him or if ordering from his SD distributor is the best way. $1 a foot is hard to beat.
    Me? I'd get about 20 feet of it and be done for awhile - SD or other if cheaper.
    Let us know @Drunk_cajun how it works out. Not being snide, I really want to know.

• No offense guys but by time i get parts plus shipping its pretty close in price just to run out and have it now.

4 fittings $16 shipping $14.65

• the tubing says 1208 on it, maybe it is 12mm OD and 8mm ID? 1/2" would be 12.7mm...

I will say it does not like being hot and having weight of being horizontal or supporting the weight of really anything more than a fitting or a foot of tubing when over 130F.

I just measured, it is 12mm OD and about 7.5mm ID

1/2" soft copper is 12.7mm and will not fit in a push-lok. 12mm tubing will fit in a 1/2" connector, but that is a bit of difference for how important cooling is to a still.

another aspect, 1/2" soft copper is 11mm ID, so if you are looking for more flow, or are looking to run at 140F+ you may want to switch to copper once you have your plumbing sorted... I bet 11mm is double the flow of 7.5mm

• @Drunk_cajun said: No offense guys .

None taken :)>-

• Thanks Cotherman, i was lazy and working from memory.

• Cotherman Temps shouldn't be that high i was looking to use something a little more flexible. the tubing that comes with the kit will whip your ass if your try to straighten it from the rolled form its in. I tried 1/2" stainless tubing in the push lock connectors but it would not fit just a hair to big. My ultimate plan was to hard plumb all my irrigation 3/8 stainless tubing, but the threads in the condenser and deph are BSPT and not NPT so that screwed me there, i dont want it to start gauling the threads on my new equipment if i force it. I work in the oilfield so stainless tubing is plentiful. This is the only thing keeping me from trying my new setup, i am dying to see this thing in action!!!!

Also very informative responce on the sizing Cotherman.

• Dipping the plastic tube in hot water should see the whip out of it.

• @punkin said: Dipping the plastic tube in hot water should see the whip out of it.

That didnt work i tried it.

• i'm running on two strikes then.

• its ok Punkin, This is what i cam up with, I ordered 4 3/8 BSPT to 3/8 NPT adapters and will run 3/8 air hose with quick connects on each one for easy breakdown. I dont know if this has been shared before but i intend to run a supply line to tie into the output line coming off the bottom on the deph. to be able to purge the air out of it. if anyone is interested i can explain it more detailed. Just a matter of reversing the water flow.

• you will see all the restriction those fittings give if you are using a pump... with city water @ 60psi, even 1/4" line is enough, but with a pump, you need to get big enough to not have restriction, but not so big that air bubbles won't go downward in tubing......

• The 12mm SD tubing and fittings were always meant for the 4" Dash as an easy and inexpensive way to resolve column irrigation. As we moved into bigger stills I failed to upgrade the size and that was a mistake.
    In step with continuously evolving modular configurations the plastic tubing and push-connects have been a godsend because we were never trapped by hard plumbing.
    For 6" and smaller stills I'm sure 12mm is adequate but beyond that we'd always figured the Pros would plumb out with hard piping so we've been lax to upgrade.
    I may upgrade my 5" personal still with stainless TC flexpipe water lines just to get that ball rolling even though the 12mm plastic tubing is (and has) served me well.

Probably a bit self-serving because when I post bling-bling others want it too but to be fair when you post stillin bling I also perk up and start to connive ways to incorporate it into my setup.

SS flexpipe will probably set me back a hundred bucks or more, maybe much more, on my rig but how can you put a price on WOW-Damn-that-looks-so-cool! ?

Just what I don't need right now is another personal project but I cannot resist.

• edited November 2014

Getting it laid out and ordered the flex pipe. Had to lean the column to get an idea but when the new pipe arrives, only need 3 pieces, I'll straighten the column and eliminate a few sections of the TC pipe and some bends.

flexpipe_begin.jpg
    643 x 800 - 81K
  • @Drunk_cajun Where did you find the adapters?

• Thank you for the link.

• edited November 2014

Ok my irrigation is done went 3/8 stainless tubing. I also built a dedicated still cabinet with sink LOL. Here are the pics

WP_20141129_19_35_54_Pro.jpg
    450 x 800 - 59K
    WP_20141129_19_36_16_Pro.jpg
    450 x 800 - 65K
    WP_20141129_19_37_03_Pro.jpg
    800 x 450 - 56K
  • @Drunk_cajun very nice job, I need a cabinet and sink like that for my shed.

• Very nice.

• ^:)^ Exceptionally nice Good Job!

• Yes it doesn't look like he was very drunk. ;)

• Very nice and tidy :-bd

• edited November 2014

Thanks guys I worked hard on this, put up lighting today. I did my cleaning run today also and this week when my mash is ready i will make an official run. 2 thumbs up for SD I love my setup!! :-bd