StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Blend-a-bon

2»

Comments

• Temps down to mid 80's this am.
    Final OG reading
    corn 1.059
    rye 1.050
    barley 1.055
    wheat 1.061
    oats 1.055

Added yeast and within 2 hours had nice caps on all.

• Sounds worthwhile at those OG's. Well done mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Some updates. Ran 1 batch of 20 gals wheat thru 3 plate 3 ProCap/per plate 4" CD and kept 1.3 gals. Also ran 20 gals of corn same rig and kept 1.25 gals. racked the Oats from the fermenter to a conical (WHAT A PITA!). should be cleared and ready for a run tomorrow.
    Meantime batch 2 of wheat is done and clear, so is the rye and the barley so I look forward to a full day in the shed tomorrow with 4 20 gal runs to do.

A few pics, grains soaking

fermenters

fermentation starting

I'll keep you posted. So far I am very happy with the results.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 98K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 51K
  • You are a worker bee.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Update, the oats are still clearing, told ya it was a PITA :))
    Ran all the washes and collected around a gallon give or take of all with the exception of the rye which went south and ended up with scorched junk on my elements. I will have to re-do that one next time home.
    Hoping the oats will clear enough so I can rack it out of the conical fermenter and run it tomorrow..
    Meantime, spend all day processing two whitetail deer. I am slap worn out but my freezer is full and the experiment is coming along well.

• @captainshooch , would you contrast what you did with the corn vs what the guy in the enzyme video did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnboJ3Kxeo

• I used a method described on HD by Woodshed for Booner's all casual corn.
    It involves working from hot to cold then a long steeping period but no need for mechanical stirring or fear of scorching. Booner's just recommends a longer time to finish with an overnite rest but I started early in the day and by late evening I was able to pitch the yeast.

• PS: I used Ph 5.2 at 145 prior to adding the Seb Amyl.

• ferment off the grain? how was separation after using enzymes?

• Fermented on the grains. Racked off the top with a pump and filter. Pulled 20 gallons after it settled nicely. Did not try to squeeze every last bit out just the clear stuff on top of grain bed.

• @captainshooch, did I read correctly that you soaked the grain overnight, before milling?

• Yes I did, except the corn, which was already cracked so I only soaked.

• What kind of mill are you running?

• Millards mill and a regular grinder sometimes, the old timey hand crack style for finer crush.

• edited December 2014

Update. Sorry it has been a while but I had a delay waiting on the oats to clear so I could run them. I finally got it run last Thursday and all went well. However, I had scorched the last batch of rye,( Must have heated up too fast) so I started a new one yesterday and should be ready to run next weekend.

In the meantime, I would like to hear from you what your favorite bourbon is and, if you know, the grain bill ratios. Hope to get the blending started sometime next week.
    Thanks in advance,
    Hoochy

• you need to bring samples down to Dunedin while I am running a batch! (I have that old blowhard, the Stranahan's batch # 2, and got my eye on getting some pappy tomorrow if things work out right...)

• I will definitely take you up on it @CothermanDistilling just got to figure out a good time.