StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Baby Dragon - Ace of Hearts

Comments

• Could the packed section also be made of a regular 2" sight tower? It would save a few bucks.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• A packed section could be made from a ss spool, its just you will not see the reflux happening in the beads...

• edited December 2014

Well, I finally got a chance to run a vinegar cleaning run thru the 6 plate baby and a sac. run with some 30 ABV. I was able to pull just under 2L/HR at 93-94ABV (34 minutes per quart). I am very pleased with it, and super easy to run with the downcomer adjusters set at 6mm(1/4") above the plates and only 8 amps with a 5500W element. Cooling reservoir was at 78F and product temp was 78 also. The PC seems to work really well. Thanks @Lloyd , she's still getting all the attention here :-bd

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 94K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
  • Ran the same configuration today and I swear I changed nothing but got slightly improved ABV at 95.25%. I don't know why. Maybe because the ceramic balls were already wet?
    I had the glass cylinder cut to 344mm only because that's the size needed to use the Baby Dragon 4 plate rods. If a couple of inches taller then maybe 95.6% azeotrope?
    Now suffering ideas about an improved reflux centerer that maybe could get the same setup to the magic number. Will let you know if it works out or not but we've been so busy lately it may take awhile.

• @Sunshine said: Could the packed section also be made of a regular 2" sight tower? It would save a few bucks.

It could but it would have about 1/3 less volume so the height would need to increase.
    Every possible step is taken in StillDragon design to keep height at a minimum.
    @Smaug is a master at creating ceiling height, I think he used a hatchet.

• Hatchet?? No no that was an optical illusion.

Slight paper tear made it look worse than it really was.....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Lloyd said: Ran the same configuration today and I swear I changed nothing but got slightly improved ABV at 95.25%. I don't know why. Maybe because the ceramic balls were already wet?
    I had the glass cylinder cut to 344mm only because that's the size needed to use the Baby Dragon 4 plate rods. If a couple of inches taller then maybe 95.6% azeotrope?

My 2 inch LM column is 1016mm packed with SPP and I pull azeo with no issues. Pretty wild that you are able to muster that much ABV with a third of the optimal calculated height.

^:)^

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• 4 plates under it helps

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• if he had spp in the short section it may be there... as well or much closer

• @punkin said: 4 plates under it helps

I love to hear you say that for some strange reason.....Can you say that again please?

• How bout you just quote it again?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Feelings are hurt that you won't do that for me.

• edited December 2014

Affectionately known as Balls over Lava this is currently pulling 95.9% AVB, temperature adjusted. If that is impossible then either the alcoholmeter or thermometer is incorrect so I've used 2 different sets of each with the same readings.

Lava rock is a little difficult to work with. Some of the grit got between the glass and gasket creating a leak, so shutdown and clean and repack.
    I then got the idea to use a filter disk instead of a wad of scrubby to hold the rocks in place and the column flooded completely, so shutdown and clean and repack.

But now pulling very clean hearts at azeotrope (at least).

balls_over_lava.jpg
    600 x 800 - 80K
  • Interesting, so a filter disk holding the packing is not a good idea?

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Works great on 4" with lava rocks.

• The lava rock I have is kind of "soft" and easy to chip. The tiny chips work their way down and plug up the filter disk. Care was taken when washing (and washing and washing) and packing the column but the chips are like large grains of sand. Not a problem with a small wad of scrubby to block the hole in the baby dragon plate. I suspect a few largish holes punched in the filter disk would have worked well.

• edited December 2014

@crystal_skull said: Works great on 4" with lava rocks.

Ditto

• Since no one could say, what actually is in the lava rock - I would prefer something cleaner for the packing. Just my 2 cents...

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• My packed columns were typically filled with all manner of metal scraps pulled out of my junk drawer, garage, basement, neighbors garage, etc. Screws, bolts, various plumbing fittings, old keys, pieces of scrap pipe, nails, razor blades, etc etc.

:))

• Sunshine ... before you make that decision run a batch using a scoria pack column... then taste of the aired product... .you will be pleased at how clean it is... being a skeptic is fine but a closed mind... [-X

• I don't mean "dirty", I mean clean in the sense of knowing exactly the material, with ss and copper it's clear, but the lava rock could be anything, like some weird chemical things in it or else, right?

• I've seen lots of questionable "copper" scrubbers.

• @Moonshine said: Interesting, so a filter disk holding the packing is not a good idea?

I'd be tempted to test the liquid flow rate through whatever retainer you use. I find a simple wire grid holding up a stainless scruber works. That then holds up the rest of the packing.

Plates and filters tend to behave like perforated plates and can hold a layer of liquid. This may or may not be a problem - depending on how fast you run the colum .

I also include a roll of structured copper mesh - but I put this between the packing retainer and thr boiler. Typically inside the very bottom section of the column or inside the tri clamp ferrule.

• edited December 2014

getting ready to put my little darling together today WOOT. Thanks Lloyd and Punkin!!!! Can't wait for our test run. Buckle up. ;)

arentyoucutes_baby.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
  • Good stuff. Let me know if you need anything else.

• I'm so excited for you @arentyoucute. The custom's delay must have been frustrating but you're in business now! Let us all know how it goes.

• This could be interesting AYC. When can I have it? Must be my turn soon. Hovering, waiting, give it here. Rossco

• Rossco and Lady Arentyoucute are related, for folks that don't know. And Lady AYC makes TEQUILA!
    (Hope I didn't give too much away)