StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Pump for recirculating cooling

2»

Comments

• Our rainfall here is very close to yours Kapea, just a bit less. I don't have a tank for collecting rain and unfortunately no means or place to install a tank with the way the house is placed on the allotment. We do have a 50,000 litre inground pool about 18 metres from the stilling station.

• Clarification on my last post - 20,000 gallons, 180 inches, pressure reducing valve.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited January 2018

Depending on your jurisdiction, using public water for non-contact cooling purposes may require an environmental permit. Returning hot water into a lake or stream may be expressly forbidden if it creates an environmental impact. Mere morals don't stand a chance at getting approvals from federal, state, local, DEP, wetlands, etc etc etc. Can you run a pipe to the river because nobody is looking? Sure, but just because nobody is yelling at you don't mean it's legal.

Heck, in some jurisdictions in the US, you do not own the rain, just because it falls on your property, does not mean it's yours to use. Capturing rainwater in a cistern is specifically prohibited by law.

Clearly, not Kapea, but it does exist.

• I used to do the environmental monitoring for the sugar mill I mentioned. The conditions for taking water for cooling and subsequent return of that water and revord keeping was very rigorous

• edited January 2018

My area of study at the institution of higher inculcation I attended, and subsequent endeavors include meteorology and hydrology. I can tell you without a doubt, riparian water rights are some of the most convoluted laws ever conceived by man. EVERYBODY thinks they have the right to control water. Every wide spot in the road has its own water laws.

Here on Gilligan's Island water rights are straightforward: all of the waters on, in, and around the islands are owned by all of the people of the islands.

• edited January 2018

Also, I live on an erupting volcano, so discharging warm water to the ground is not as big of a concern as it may be elsewhere.

In fact, digging too deep when gardening could be problematic when living on an erupting volcano:

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 117K

• From your backyard, right, Kapea?

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Food grade mini mag pump. 12 volt 12 to 20 listers per min and 3 or 4 meter head height and if that won't work try a high pressure garden pump.

• My pump is a 350W Ozito dirty water sump pump. On the weekend it pumped sufficient supply from an inground pool 18 metres away for a spirit run on my pot still. This was using 13mm hose!

• Looks like this thread isnt dead!! Well I have had a ton of runs with my Baby Dragon and the pump I mentioned earlier with no issues. My current problem is I need about 40lb of ice in my cooling bath to cool the still. I saw the posts about the cooling towers, but I dont think I could store something that big. Should I go with some sort of cooling radiator? Like a new transmission cooler with efan?

• edited February 2018

Retask an old automobile radiator and a window fan.

• I used a 50,000 btu 'hydronic heater' that I got for about $150, I will get a 200kbtu one for my 8", but the 50kbtu would be fine for a 4" column...

50,000 BTU Hydronic Hot Water Hanging Unit Heater - Single Speed Fan @ eBay

• @Kapea said: Retask an old automobile radiator and a window fan.

I'll second that, but the bigass 24" Harbor Freight ventilator fan's better than a window fan.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits