StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Moving Flaked Corn Wort to Fermenter

2»

Comments

• I'm the wrong person to ask.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Then stop changing the subject. I'm trying to keep this thread on track...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• The steam off the stillage is great for your complexion too.

• :)

• edited March 2017

Also a fun tip - adding whole oats including husk makes post-distillation separation very easy. They act in a way that is similar to rice hulls - the oat husk is absolutely huge and creates a fantastic filter bed. On a positive side, I think oat contributes very nicely to a long syrupy mouth feel (but does add spice).

We do an oat bourbon, 51 corn 49 oat - and it will almost lauter itself without a screen. So much so it's actually a pain in the ass to transfer from mash tun to fermenter to still.

• I have been using oats in my recipe, as I like the effect it gives. The oat bourbon sounds really nice. I have been using flaked oats though. Will look at the whole oats.

• @zizther said: I have been using oats in my recipe, as I like the effect it gives. The oat bourbon sounds really nice. I have been using flaked oats though. Will look at the whole oats.

100%

I do like the the mouth feel from oats in the grain bill.

• edited May 2017

@grim I used your method of transfer at a smaller scale. I would agree with what your experiences are, 90% of the gain is caught and 85-90% of the liquid is captured. It was less time consuming and less effort than squeezing out by hand.

Could be a contender. I am keen to get a little fruit press and try that out too.

• edited May 2017

The only thing that gets tricky is milling the oats.

I'm finding that two passes through the roller mill do a much better job at separating the husk and sufficiently cracking the oat. The issue is oat is just so oily that instead of crushing, it just gets flattened, and then breaks apart. Cranking the gap down to nearly nothing works well, but absolutely shreds the husk in the process.

• Do you find that crushed oats are better than flaked, besides no having husks for one. Does the flaked oat still have the same effect on the product as crushed oats?

• Oat - high beta-glucans - flaked alone is going to act like rye. In terms of mash efficiency, it's going to be higher because on a weight basis, you have more fermentables, less husk. However, it's going to make corn even more difficult to separate, as it's going to add to the goopy mess without any of that bulk husk to help lautering. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, enzymes are necessary. But, if you are attempting to separate corn mash, you are probably going to want to use enzymes in every scenario anyway.