StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Stilldragon Dash 1 Experience

12346»

Comments

• Yep, the copper reacts to things like sulphur, I clean my copper in a bath of citric acid often. Worst was a rum stripping run I did, plates were black like coal.

• edited November 2013

You started with a clean still so the residue is something you've put in it. You need to ask yourself about the contents of your washes and what would be there.

If it's any consolation, everyone else in the world whether copper or stainless gets it too :))

This packing has only ever seen a few runs of stripped low wines and no wash at all.

packing1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 91K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I get the same thing especially with rum washes. Probably has something to do with the amount of sulphur in stock feed black strap. It may be better with refinery molasses. All I do is soak everything in citric acid and if it's really bad I will blast a vinegar run through it.

Before I knew about rum washes and copper I ran rum through my still for months without cleaning it other than running water through it after a run and when I eventually pulled it apart everything was black on the inside and the plates were basically sealed to the column wall.

• Gave the plates a soak over night and they've come up pretty good. Build the still back up again tomorrow once everythings left to try abit and will be back on show in the bar area :))

• In no case one should not clean copper with vinegar. At little smudges of dirt of catalyst a citric acid will be enough. I however each time applies acid and hydrogen peroxide (35%). If I am not going to play pranks I am keeping the cleaned catalytic converter immersed in the water so that he doesn't turn black. Where I am using copper springs.