StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Stilldragon Dash 1 Experience

Comments

• after running my dash with a recent rum wash the first two copper bubble plates n caps all turned a dark black, i'm guessing my issue is with sulfur in the wash... maybe it is something similar? (mine cleaned up easy with citric acid.)

• edited July 2013

@jonno

Whatever caused that colour, don't doubt the quality of SD parts. IMHO it's hard to imagine higher quality.

I'm still learning - but I'm also amazed at just how easy it is to drive. Definitely a good investment.

• edited July 2013

@Law_Of_Ohms

I stopped the discolouration of the lower plates & caps by adding a bunch of copper pieces to my SS boiler. Weird that the copper comes out of the hot strip (single run) looking porky pink - but it seems to do the job.

• @Stinger said: LoO

I stopped the discolouration of the lower plates & caps by adding a bunch of copper pieces to my SS boiler. Weird that the copper comes out of the hot strip (single run) looking porky pink - but it seems to do the job.

What wash is that ? I'm doing only rum, and with molasses they are getting pretty scaled.

M.

• I've placed copper in the boiler for years with ALL washes. So Far I have only run a few sour mashes with the Dash, but I still throw copper in the boiler. Haven't yet run a molasses wash through it.

The lower plates and caps do turn the light brown colour of copper that has been left on the shelf for a while. After an hour in a dish of hot back-set they are "porky pink". Try it with hot dunder Mosca.

• Received my last 4" triclamp which is fantastic! Can't wait to run this bad boy with full plates hopefully during the weekend.

With my first child due anytime now makes it hard to plan ahead with anything lol.

Already had the wife say to me, just because your taking a month off doesn't mean you can run your still for the next month. Child first! Still second lol

I was also able to get my submersible pump the other day and have it nearly all setup. I'm abit dissappointed with the amount of pressure its able to supply but hopefully its enough for the rc and pc

• It's gonna be a fun month! Gotta fix up the wife's pajero. Rotors,pads,ac compressor, transmission... Geeeeeeezzzzz, should I have got my dash so soon :))

• Johnno i got a submersible sump pump from Bunnings the other day for bout $70 or so. It's 250 watt and 1 inch output and pumps a shitload of water. I found the bilge pump i was using for my pot and reflux stills was not enough to supply my bubble column.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yeah I got the 750 version. Maybe I'm just being picky

• @jonno Never herd it being called a 'Pajero' before, but dont worry, it wont take long for her 'Pajero' to go back to normal after birth....

• @Law_Of_Ohms you been on fire the last few days with the funny jokes haven't ya :))

• edited August 2013

@jonno said: Yeah I got the 750 version. Maybe I'm just being picky

I got a 900w pump to use in a 1000lt shuttle water tank Best advice is to use large hose/pipe from the output right up to the point you need to connect the coolant lines, a tap just at that point will let you stop water pissing out when you disconnect the still hoses, same as return line(s) otherwise I'd have water running all over the shed floor. I also added on the tank top a T splitter with a tap and return hose straight back into the tank for "back pressure" when the coolant lines are turned off or very low it wont stress anything.

taps to stop water draining from hose and tank

@jonno said: oh and fadge i wish i had a shed like yours mate... im jealous!!

yea well I dont have a bar inside like yours, or a wife who would even consider letting me bring my "stuff" in the house. And yea the shed...its big, takes up the whole width of my house back yard, from fence to fence. plenty of room for my hobbies, either distill/drink or ride?

image image

3 new 15 amp separate circuit power outlets getting fitted, waiting on extra rcd's

I'm still waiting on my welder to finish my keg, then will post a pic like yours fully built and gleaming

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 103K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
  • Nice setup mate, if i had that much room i'd still fill it to the point i had to turn sideways to move through it. :))

I especially like how the $50 stools are holding up the fermenters while you sit in a $5 chair to do your cuts. :-??

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I'm actually quite disappointed in myself. I rushed punkin to get this thing out to me and I've only had the chance to run it once in the last week. Won't get the chance this weekend to busy fixin up the truck. Hopefully I can run so e wash in the month I'm takin off when the lil guy gets here.

• edited August 2013

I really wanta have that much space. Been using mine bubbler heaps trying to fill up these 100litre octaves that we bought.

• Got the chance to run this bad boy today. 3.5 hrs including filling boiler and emptying and packing away. Can't get much better then that :))

I'm still having trouble with my water feeds. I still can't get the deflag to knock down the 2400 watts but i'll get there eventually. I think i may have to add a valve in the way of the pc to hopefully divert more water towards the rc. I'm thinking that may be my issue at the y join.

• edited August 2013

There are some good plumbing suggestions in the user manual, have you given that a look through?

• I still can't get the deflag to knock down the 2400 watts

Something is rigged wrong. Mine will knock down both 2400 elements at once on full power. I run it at 3500 watts because any less and plates start to dry out. Full power floods the bottom plate.

• I thought I did have it rigged as in the manual but ill give it another go

• whats the temp of the water out of the deflag? (i put my hand over the water output pipe)

• is the dephleg full? you may have an air pocket which will reduce the efficiency

• At the start its nice and cool, I don't think there any air in the system. Ill double check all these things on next run

• I too think there's an air pocket or something is wrong

My 3" dephleg (3"to work with a 3" hybrid extension) knocks down 3000-3700w VERY effectively. With mains water at <20*C, even in the summer, I have only the tightest full turn to make all my adjustments when feeding cold water into the BOTTOM of the dephleg at just a trickle.

I'm actually looking to reduce my water pressure to give me more adjustability.

• I've had the needle valve fully open both times. Cold water in down the bottom and hot water out the top, needle valve connected to outgoing line.

• What temp is your waste/hot water from the dephleg?

• I haven't added the temp inline yet but the water is nice and cool, first run was from the tap , the second from my recirc. Both behaved the same.

I had a lot more then a litre a minute going through it to. Ill check these things next run

• I have mains water < 20C going into the bottom and I'm playing with exit temps in the 60'sC & 70's*C for collection - at less than 1 turn from fully closed.

Opening up the needle valve 2 full turns is enough for 100% reflux at 40*C exit temp - using 3500w+.

• I've got a funny feeling having the valve fully open may be the problem. Don't know why