Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!
I'm after some thoughts on this solution to a potential problem. I will preface this by saying I am new to distilling and still trying to get my head around the processes.
I'm trying to do a gin run with the gin head and when I did the first individual botanical runs I noticed that when doing the low charge runs I was getting very low abv. I'm assuming this is because of the high ratio of water to alcohol in the boiler. My proposed solution to this is to insert a deep pot in the neck of the boiler which takes the 45% abv spirit,then the boiler is filled with water submerging the sub pot. Essentially running it as a jacketed boiler where the boiling water then boils the spirit. Thus ensuring that you get a complete run through the gin head although you are only running a small amount. Oh and yes the milk can boiler is vented using the fill port a 45 , column and a vapor condenser to recycle the boiler water. I'll post pictures of the full set up tomorrow.