StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Distiller wannabe..

2»

Comments

• I have a separate rig now, 60L boiler and 2" condenser, with a section of 4" as my gin basket. But I did re-distill gin in my main still before(tu turn crappy gin into good gin base), then 180 PBW and acid run... no hint... tails are worse IMHO

• @zymurgybob said: Does anyone else have concerns about getting "juniper taint" from running delicately-flavored distillate through still parts that have recently handled juniper? It's why I distill my gin essence in a separate small still and add to neutral for my gin.

The reason I'm sensitive to the issue is that I used to have a glass gallon jug that had gin essence in it, and even hot chlorine bleach couldn't get the juniper smell out, at least not until repeated treatement.

Used to get 1 gallon pickle jars and yes the smell was very difficult to remove. An offset head or dedicated rig is the go imo.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Everything downstream from where my gin basket connects to my boiler is used only for gin.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Bobs question is about yhe Juniper overtaking the more delicate herbs even in separate distillations.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The taint goes both ways @zymurgybob . Whisky will taint the gin as well.

• Well there goes my knowledge of physiology! On a more serious note, though, that means I'm still ok with a separate gin essence still.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Yup, the only way to use the 1 still for both products involves a serious clean between the 2 and I don't like the idea of that. So I think I'll go a dedicated gin rig.

• Taint goes both ways ... wow

Not sure if that translates to Yankee English the same way.

:))

• lol. had the same thought ;)

• One slip... and you're in deep shit.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.