StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Different Types of Sanitizer

2»

Comments

• It'll work fine, those prices are pretty low considering those volumes will last you quite a while.

You don't need to mix up so much volume that you completely fill your vessels.

Always wanted to throw a block of sodium into a swimming pool.

• @grim said: 100% pure sodium and hot water?

That sounds f@cking awesome.

I know, right????

• edited June 2016

@grim X_X

• edited November 2021

@grim said: 100% pure sodium and hot water?

That sounds f@cking awesome.

It will certainly make for a most satisfactory display!

Edited by @Moonshine: Invalid YouTube link removed.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited June 2016

The only thing you have to sanitise is your fermenters mate. The still and stuff is all good with a rinse in hot or cold water to get the stank out and an occasional strip down and clean in citric acid solution with a rinse with a base and then some cold water when it starts to get grubby.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Well, pure sodium and hot water will kill everything, but stick yer fingers in yer ears.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Damn electron hog!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• LOL Good thing he didn't drop it

• Reviving the thread... I had a small home aqueous ozone generator for sanitizing veggies etc. to reduce spoilage. It was working great but lasted only about 3 months before failing. Now I'm thinking about making a mini DIY aqueous ozone generator and was wondering if anyone has already done that? I plant on using it for my veggies and home brewing sanitation to cut down on chemicals.

If anyone has input on efficiency of transfer between venturi injection and bubble stones etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

• I know this pretty well from my aquaculture days.

Seems easier to use a small self contained ozone generator with integral air pump, and just connect an airstone for injection. These things are cheap and disposable. Most arc-generators have a finite life, as well air pump diaphragms.

Sure, you can use a generator, pump, and venturi, but that seems pretty large and unwieldy.

The challenge with either approach, is you don't know the amount of ozone you are generating, and if you are hitting an effective level for disinfection, or are even creating too much ozone that you are then possibly breathing in.

• edited November 2021

My thought on why pump + venturi:

Simplicity

I have a pump anyhow for brewing and and old cooler mash tun that's already plumbed. The venturi with quick connects paired with an ozone generator would be a super simple way to set it up.

Ozone level control

From what I can gather is that from a venturi, expected solution of ozone is 50-70%. So I can at least calculate my worst case ppm based on ozone output at ambient air and time spent recirculating. Since I don't know the transfer rate from bubblers that leaves me scratching my head.

@grim - question here to you - from looking at the manufacturers specs, it seems that there's a specified output @ 100% o2 and ambient air. To me that defines the o3 output. Are those specs somehow flawed?

To x-check, I would invest in some test strips to verify for the first couple of runs on how fast I get to my predicted levels.

Attached a model (XLSX) on how I see the saturation based on ozone input and half life.

xlsx
    xlsx
    Ozone Calcs v1.xlsx
  • Forgot to mention - with the pump+venturi set-up I also have flexibility to use on my fermenter, boiler, mash tun and whatever I can fill and pump water through.

• Many large food plants use ozone. Usually a small generator is installed in a large tank to maintain a level of ozone in that tank. Then the ozonated water is used in lines and for tanks. One thing to keep in mind about ozone is that it's a respiratory hazard so you want to make sure that it's a closed tank. Also ozone is hard on gaskets make sure you have the right material for your gaskets. Many wineries have used this on their bottling lines only to find out that they end up replacing gaskets much more frequently