StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Moonshiners on TV

Comments

• What, that's no real shining, CAN'T BE! 8-}

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• IT suxed bunch of dumb asses best i can tell...

• It has to be real, I saw it on TV!!! =))

• edited November 2013

I dunno, I was pretty pissed at the lies they told last season, I ain' watchin this one...

I actually had a cheesedick tell me last weekend my Sweet Feed Oaked wasn't authentic because I use yeast and he saw on this show that no good moonshine ever has yeast or sugar added, because it was in the "malted" corn already.. This from a man who has never done a ferment...However, his eyes rolled and them lips smacked as he took a snort of SF oaked for 3 months....

Funny how no one else ever 'plains about that at a sippin' Jam...

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• love that show. trying to figure out whats real and whats staged.

• @DistilliTraK, had a friend that refused to drink anything I made for fear of going blind.

@nvnovrts that's easy, it's all real. Only the names, dates and actual events are fictitious.

• We did meet tim and tickle at a local event, I asked tickle what his favorite strength was, he said 90 proof... so if you take some corn and some sugar, you can approximate what they make... they seem to be much more real people and just acting it up a bit for the show.... I met folks who had relatives on 'dangerous catch' briefly, and they said the same thing... if you don't act it up, you will get cut from the show...

• Oh, and walking down the street in downtown Nashville, TN, after visiting Corsair a couple months ago, a guy walking in front of us offered me a taste of his moonshine, I could see the evil look in my wife's eye, but I took the flask, smelled, it was clean but with nice corn aroma, so I tried a nip... it was good.... and maybe 90-100 proof..

• Rotten strawberries??

• one man's fermenting is another man's rotting... ;-) Can't be any worse than dunder, right?

• I was hoping that those two guys with the strawberries would not be in it this season. They were the most annoying characters from last season.

• @CothermanDistilling said: one man's fermenting is another man's rotting... ;-) Can't be any worse than dunder, right?

LMAO.

• Rotten strawberries with worms!

So far so good, I really like this show and I don't mind that parts (some may say all) of it are really silly. It's entertainment for the masses, good enough for distracting me while on the exercise machine, and certainly good enough for catching someone's interest who never had thought about distilling himself before. :)

We need a guy on that show using a Dragon. Imagine Jim Tom operating a Crystal Dragon with Super Dephlem, What the ... :D

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

1. Tickle's apple pie ain't got nothing on fresh apples like in wineo's
    2. Fun to watch Tim get upset about having to keep records going legal...
  • They are really going on and on about this malted corn instead of yeast. I can't tell how many idiots take that as gospel now.

• Jim Tom with a DASH2, hum... :-O If I had to choose I would rather see the guy, what's his name?, that claims to have the "secret" George Washington Rye whiskey recipe, yeah secret HA! but he seems to bo the one with the most witts, and I can undersdtand what he is saying, with Jim Tom, i have to read the cc. :-B

• @Duck0fDeath said: They are really going on and on about this malted corn instead of yeast. I can't tell how many idiots take that as gospel now.

You would be surprised at how many idiots take that as gospel. I had an acquaintance of mine tell me my samplin's were not made right because I had used a yeast versus malted corn...

I stopped DVR'n the show, It just ain' entertaining to me any more...I'd rather use the time to do real work :)

• @Duck0fDeath said: They are really going on and on about this malted corn instead of yeast. I can't tell how many idiots take that as gospel now.

That was a real WTF moment for me too. Native yeast maybe? Didn't know that malted corn can turn sugar into CO2 and ethanol. Could we all be missing this secret? Louis Pasteurs got nothing on Jim Tom!

• edited December 2013

@nvnovrts said: Louis Pasteurs got nothing on Jim Tom!

=))

• edited December 2013

Hello everyone"" @ AD

Haven't watched it since the first series, but i thought that's where that came from...

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• "natural wild yeast"=bad.

• Heah I am from the southern US, been living around this all my life. I have rock salt shot at me for getting too close to a still. got an uncle with a shine "library" keeps jars so he can compare the taste. He has 40 or 50 jars most of it bad, always loose count by the time we work our way through. There has always been disinformation about what they make and how they make it. I have heard all kinds of crazy stuff. Got to remember even in moonshine, mystic sells and secrets are not up for free. Most of the shine I have tasted, has been bad, a lot of these guys don't have a clue. There are a select few who really do know, it is rare. Most of you guys are making better stuff.

I love the show , but then again I liked Bevis and Butthead. Perspective counts, Beavis and Butthead with stills. I am always amazed at how little shine is actually made.

• edited December 2013

@brantoken said: I am always amazed at how little shine is actually made.

@brantoken is correct. There is precious little shine that is made out there and the very little that is made is made usually by us.

• Since this is something ongoing directly connected to the show:

• Is there anything at all behind the "natural wild yeast" idea of using malted corn without additional "cultivated" yeast?
    • Why is "natural wild yeast" supposed to be bad?
    • Is there anything behind the saying that headache / hangover is connected to the yeast, and therefor a non-issue when using malted corn instead of yeast?

• The only thing with wild yeast is you are playing Russian Roulette with your Ferm. Wouldn't you rather pitch yeast that you know will give you what you want? Wild yeast, might be good might be bad. If you do a wild ferm and it rocks, save it and culture it. The headache thing? don't drink so much.

• Wild yeasts mean you have no idea of what modulations have or are occurring as the colony develops. That leads to an array of possibilities from Good to Gawd Awful..

I'm a wussie - I prefer a known yeast, Like a Gert Strand Whiskey yeast. I do recycle some back from each ferment, but that's kept in sterilized containers and used as part of the starter for the next time. Even then I have been cautioned to watch it over each generation as some do well downstream and some don't....

• There are not enough numbers of wild yeast to ensure an active start to fermentation and the outcompeteing of bacteria and spoilage organisms. It's lotto.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I am inclined to say, the malted corn ferm, is TV hype to make it look like hes got one ou on Mark and Jeff, Jim Tom talk, take it w/a grain o salt. I would never even bother to risk losing all the grains on taking a chance w/ wild yeast and risking a nasty infection! Grains are not cheap! just last week, 70.00 USD fro a 50 LB bag of wheat, unmalted! The malted wheat only 37.00, now you would think malting would incurr more cost. Go figure.

• What I mean is he might be using the sprouted, malt corn for the enzimes but not for yeast.