StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Cleaning Your Dragon

2»

Comments

• My first real job after college was in a country hotel. 1 day I sharpened the chefs cleavers not realising he had a sharp and a less sharp on purpose. Nearly scared the life out of him when he was cutting T bone steaks with what he thought was his "less sharp" cleaver. We had a rather pointed conversation a bit later. :))

• That edge is too fine for any wood cutting actions like frozen or hard stuff like pumpkin etc.

2 common methods to sharpen a cutting edge are done, one is the fine edge as you have then it is finished with a very small bevel around 30 degrees or so to give some strength and easy to touch up and steel hone during use.

The second common way is more a bevel edge all the way, strong hard wearing lasts ok but more work to resharpen.

A large butchers steak knife will be done the first way, a shorter bone usage knife will use the second method.

l prefer the fine edge and use that mostly, including for most boning knives, but will always have a bevel edge for the rough work like If you want to use a chopper like a hammer or axe.

Fadge

• I am a brute and use a 'cooks' brand santoku butcher knife for just about everything...

until I had to clean a bunch of fish, and someone handed one to me, I would have never picked up a goofy knife like this skinning knife... but now, I appreciate it and the long filet knife more than I ever did...

edit - brand is dexter-russell, $15 from Zoro

knife.jpg
    600 x 187 - 4K
  • What's the suggestion on cleaning a n assembled glass column. Run lemon juice through it?

• Yes that will work. Also vinegar or citric acid . All diluted with clean water.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Citric acid diluted to 10% makes a very good cleaner. Make sure you rinse well or even use carbonate at 5-10% to deactivate the citric acid and then rinse.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How are people "Running" it through? Opening something on the top and pumping it down in to the kettle flooding the trays? Or doing a full stripping style run with citric (seems like that would take a long time).

When I look at pictures of stills with built-in CIP I see that the spray balls are only above the trays. What about cleaning the rest of the internals ( Deplg,carry-over piping, condenser)? I hear some places clean the entire still after each run! Is that needed if you are running the same product through ?

• I fitted a cap on one end of my CD and just poured a solution of water and citric acid in, there was still an air gap under each plate so after a while I turned it upside down for a bit, then just rinced it out with water, other bits are quite easy to clean just soak them or stick em in the dishwasher, if you have a long colum that won't fit in the sink or dishwashers, just fit an end cap and fill it up

• I am need it to clean in place. This will be a 500L Bain with 8" column on a commercial level. No dishwasher cleaning ;)

• @shindig said: I am need it to clean in place. This will be a 500L Bain with 8" column on a commercial level. No dishwasher cleaning ;)

Rusty just attaches to the condenser and pumps his solution back through the entire rig into the kettle and recovers.

• Hi guys. I a newbie to the SD. Do I need to clean my stainless scrubbers before I put them in my column for a neutral run ?

• @Rpman2 said: Hi guys. I a newbie to the SD. Do I need to clean my stainless scrubbers before I put them in my column for a neutral run ?

Always a good practice unless you are certain that the scrubber s are clean.

Where did you source them from?

• Might wash some brew clean with some hot water just to be on the safe side.

• @punkin said: Citric acid diluted to 10% makes a very good cleaner. Make sure you rinse well or even use carbonate at 5-10% to deactivate the citric acid and then rinse.

So a 10% solution of orthophosphoric acid would be good? I have a whole heap of it for the beer brewery. Then rinse in bicarb soda solution? How many grams or measure per litre/volume?

If it aint half off, it aint on sale!

• Dunno mate, never heard of that one.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I know orthophosphate compounds are used as scale inhibitors in cooling towers and antiscalants in RO feedwater.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.