StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

All about Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) and Upper Explosive Limit (UEL)

124»

Comments

• daddad
    edited September 2015

While on tour at a highly regarded distiller....

While it didn't show in the pic, you could see and smell the vapor coming from around this agitator on a very large still. Ran around flanges and pooled on floor.

Notice anything else about the still?

Agitator.jpg
    600 x 800 - 91K
    Floor.jpg
    800 x 528 - 56K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited September 2015

@jbierling - let me know, you got the newest/nicest of the bunch, and I kept the most beat up one. I haven't gotten the battery message pop up on mine. They were all in a pretty close date range.

• Yeah, it's in great condition but it just doesn't retain any settings after power off. The only warning is "Set Clock" (which goes away after I set it after power on). The "Change lithium Battery" (W7) does not appear. I just assumed since no settings were retained the battery was dead.

I can change any watch battery, but the battery in this is sandwiched between contacts and I was afraid the battery was in fact "soldered" somehow to the contacts.

• @punkin said: Went to an unamed distillery a few weeks ago. The smell when i walked in was as if they had used low wines to mop the floor. Big shed with 25 foot to the roof i guess. When i mentioned the smell they said they couldn't smell it after 5 mins.

|While talking to the distiller the still was flooding slightly and spewing into the parrot and splashing everywhere every now and then on a stripping run. He was talking about wishing they could go gas fired again and i pointed it out the spillage that was a couple feet from the boiler. He got a bit cranky and started mentioning all the sensors they have and that they'd have to flood the place with ethanol to be able to trip them.
    It was pretty surreal.

:-O

• Speaking of safety. Anyone running IECEx/ATEX certified electrical heating?

I've been sourcing quotes and there's not too many suppliers from what I can see. I need IECEx or I can go ATEX if it's cheap enough to warrant the $1,500 recirtification fee.

I have one set of quotes and another supplier working on a design concept. That's it so far from the 6 enquiries I've made.

Cheers,

Mech.

• edited September 2015

Not me, but did you talk to Watlow? I'd talk to them first, probably Chromalox second. But I'm on the other side of the globe.

Flange Immersion Heaters - Agency Certified Tubular Heaters Ideal For Heating Liquids, Gases, Tanks and Pressure Vessels Requiring Higher Kilowatts (PDF)

They can supply certified control panels as well, but I'm not sure those apply to your market.

Control Panels @ WATLOW

Not cheap...

• Thanks, I hadn't tried them. I'll be sure to now :)

$25k is the price I've been quoted for 24kW.