Ammeter Question

Hey All,

I have a question about the ammeter I'm using in my Control Panel build.

I've checked the wiring, tested continuity on all connections, ensured the potentiometer is reading 0-500, and wired in the ammeter. Unfortunately it's not responding the way I was hoping it would. It starts at 0, peaks out at around 3A (at the midpoint of the dial turn) and then goes back down to 0. The ammeter is wired into the direct to element leg of my control panel. Should the ammeter be hooked up to the SSR leg instead?

Here's a video of me turning the dial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoWPNxOW6A

Has anyone encountered this before?

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Or, could the amp meter be busted?

• I think you should describe how you wired in the ammeter. Most use a ct. coil and any wire going to the element goes through this ring. Not earth. Can't open video.

• edited May 2016

As far as wiring goes, the direct to element wire comes off power-in relay, goes to a 50A shunt, off the 50A shunt, to the element. The ammeter has two wires attached to the 50A shunt and attaches directly to the ammeter. I changed the orientation of the ammeter shunt wiring, but it doesn't change any output on the ammeter. I used the large screws for the element wire and small screws for the ammeter connection.

Here's a link to the ammeter in question.

• edited May 2016

That unit is to measure DC current. no wonder you are getting weird readings...

As GD50 says, AC current meters use a current transformer coil around 1 of the legs to the element.

Have a look at using something like this one.

• edited May 2016

A shunt resistor could be used to measure ac current but I can see no valid reason for it to be done this way. DC yes AC no. But I am not familiar with the controllers you guys are using in distilling. In my world it all 4 - 20 Ma transducers which would use a ct coil who's ratio would be suited to the current being measured. Would be nice to hear a comment from an automated guy on this but the above application seems wrong. I would say it all depends on the power relay you are using. My initial reaction would be as @crozdog and say dc application without more info. You got a circuit diagram you are working off? I am a bit slack here as You can buy say 40 amp controllers off eBay for next to nothing that work fine plus panel mount ammeters and volt meters again for bugger all so all you need to do is case up. But I am a manual only man and even though I have been involved in automation am a bit over it.

Just looked at the Drok info and I think you better check on your panel if there is two straight lines under the amp or A symbol as if there is you have a dc unit.

The more I see here the more I think you should stop what you are doing and double check where you are at.

• edited May 2016

Agree with the need to stop.

@GD50, I looked up the specs of the unit @akira7799 posted about.

It clearly states its a dc unit ie:

Technical parameters:

• Operating voltage: AC / DC 8 - 12V
    • Measurement rang: DC 0~ 50A (need an external shunt)
  • edited May 2016

Thanks for the input guys. Should've verified it was an AC unit. I'll make the requisite change.

That's what I get for buying off of reviews and not verifying technical specs first.

Thanks again, Dave

• Get one of these

Put it in my panel. Works like a charm

• Thats the one ebay china also do a voltage meter same size. Should check if they do a power meter to save the calculation.

• edited May 2016

It works. Hole's wrong now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y46heBvvDY

Thanks guys.

• What you end up using ?

• edited May 2016

Digital AC50A Ammeter Amperemeter Amp Testing Meter Blue Backlight LCD Panel Display @ Amazon

That's the one I went with just to get everything up and running. Now I need to do some more searching and try to find one that fits the hole that's currently in the box.

The old hole was 76mm x 39mm. The new ammeter fits into a 68mm x 38mm hole.

The Auber Ammeter that @Unsensibel posted should work. I'll try to find a cheaper one and go with that.

Thanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Dave