StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Having Troubles With Our Vodka

Comments

• That's why I ignore a majority of what is said until I prove it right or wrong myself. I obviously believe in a safe environment and all, but as your post points out, the temp differences are closer to naught. I went back into my records and saw my highest ratio (I bothered to record) was a 65/35 mix using a single element... I'm alive and those cuts were clear as day, just extremely fast. Pay attention and you're all good. As for indirect, I know people here are going 60/40 as it is made out to be. I intend on taking it higher just to prove this isn't as big of an issue once the new still is here.

• and when the hell did these pro cap extensions come into play? I hate being out of the loop on the equipment side. @smaug are there people out there using with any feed back yet?

• edited November 2015

Like I said, if any vodka makers want to try them out, I have 72 just sitting here.

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: and when the hell did these pro cap extensions come into play? I hate being out of the loop on the equipment side. smaug are there people out there using with any feed back yet?

They were brought out pretty much at the same time as the caps. There has been a little experimentation reported but no significant results.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I am personally a firm believer that a slightly elevated liquid level on the plate makes for a smoother finish product as well as assist in abv.

I only have anecdotal experience.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I have a 4x4 pro plate with enough extensions to play. Winter is coming and I want to start fiddling around with making neutrals, so the experimentation will come...

• One thing I totally forgot to mention: I also found it much easier to hit 190 when I did a high proof strip. 180 first time around would almost always have me at the 190-191 range on the spirit run. I was running slow using a single 5500 on a six plate perf.

Basically... High proof strip and slow/steady worked out very well for me

• @Smaug said: I only have anecdotal experience.

Vodka is the cure for what ails ya!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

12189580_10154340598964251_2036976167798014899_n.jpg
    594 x 796 - 52K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I have been using the extensions since I first got the Pro-Caps. I run them 1/4" above the top of the cap. Keeps a nice amount of liquid on the plate without any problems. Not sure how it would be without them.

• Extensions care to explain a little more

• @popcorn said: Extensions care to explain a little more

They are an accessory that enables the user to increase the liquid bed height.

• edited November 2015

@popcorn said: Extensions care to explain a little more

Makes this

Into this

1.jpg
    600 x 300 - 29K
    2.jpg
    600 x 300 - 31K
  • For anyone who is going to try these, they are cheap so worth trying. Also, I had to wrap a couple of times with teflon tape to make them snug, otherwise they will drop.

• Ahhh... sitting in the gift shop last night with the wifey, customers and friends, I made a couple of plates worth of copper risers from old water line copper I had stored in the rafters.. I think the handcrafted theme helped sell a couple more bottles... batch 5 of 727 vodka is the first one on 24 plates, and the best yet, with a hint of malted barley character... I used a caliper set to .700" to score a section of the copper line mounted in a cordless drill, a pipe-cutter placed on the score line, spun it with the drill to cut off, and used a special flaring tool for R410a that provides good uniformity... I believe splash rejection will be equally as important as liquid thickness increase.

20151113_201611.jpg
    800 x 450 - 53K
  • I like the total copper look. Now you just have to make 276 more, right?

• trust me, that was the conversation last night... but was welcome, as it was over good beer, good spirits, good conversations, and a few bottle sales....

I am going to do 8 plates worth to start and put them in the top tower.. that 'should' give us the best insight, as that tower has 16 plates below it and should be getting 90% ABV+ into it... if I cannot turn 90 into 95 with 8 plates at a decent rate, I need to learn how to flip burgers or something....

• The thing i took away from the early experimentation was that greatly increasing the liquid bath did not make a positive difference, but slightly did.

That's the result that we took into our product development. ;)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The newest version of the ProCap is about 1/4" taller.

• @Smaug said: The newest version of the ProCap is about 1/4" taller.

trying to find the emoticon for 'sneering'.... LOL....

it is all good, I am learning, and if I can help others along the way, even better.... everyone always how I learned to do so many things, and the answer is 'trial and error'....

sneering.jpg
    137 x 172 - 5K
  • As smaug said, we took the experience of peoples trials and put them into a redisign of the procap. All the new ones are a few mm taller to give a slightly deeper fluid bed. If that saves someone new from having to fabricate all those risers then we are happy. :D

We try to continually try improve our products by using real customer feedback and our own development while making them retrofittable and compatible with the old models, unfortunately we don't have a magic wand to reinvent existing models.

• Sneering? :)

• @punkin - like I said, it is all good... after all, I still have to thank you guys and @RedDoorDistillery for the first 8" Crystal Dragon...

• No worries mate, just explaining for those playing along. ;;)

• @Smaug said: The newest version of the ProCap is about 1/4" taller.

Looks like I had my height pretty much dialed in :))

• The short procaps are WhiskeyCaps.

• @grim said: The short procaps are WhiskeyCaps.

More collectors items. ~:>

• @grim The short procaps are WhiskeyCaps. That's awesome description

• That's exactly what sd distillery is using them for and product is turning out very nice