StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Filtering Wash before Distillation

edited April 2015 in General

Does Anyone have any experience using a motorized wine filter like the image shown to filter wash ? If so advantages and disadvantages if any??? Thanks

Comments

• That wine filter would probably clog in 2 seconds.

I use paint filter bags. I buy them from Lowes or Home Depot. Cheap and easy for home distillers.

• edited April 2015

They're relatively slow and you wont be able to re-use filters. I'm assuming that you're only planning to process wine or beer through it (not a lot of pulp or on-grain stuff), otherwise it's as @Ryan said

• Probably more useful to filter finished spirits, especially after barrel aging or carbon treatment. Obvious high proof compatibility issues aside, of course.

• I have looked into the WVO centrifuges. They run around 1500.00 but is a one time purchase without needing repla cement filter elements and can be run at around 25 gals per hour. People using them in the algae business seem to have great results.
    I'll be willing to split the cost with anyone nearby me.

• edited April 2015

For the pro's that distill in the city and don't have the convenience of land farming spend mash you can separate grain from liquid (put the liquid down the drain and the grain to the dumpster or to the local pig farmer), this appears to be a nice piece of equipment. I have no idea how much it cost...probably very expensive.

I've seen a video of the same machine juicing raspberries. So I suppose it could have a dual purpose in your distillery, 1. dewatering spent mashes, and 2. juicing fruits for brandy production.

• 70k+ at the ACSA event as I recall.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited April 2015

@Smaug - I'm telling you, you can corner the market on this by bringing in the units from overseas. Do it on order, don't even hold inventory.

• @Ryan -

search this forum for russelfinex .....

then see the terms we use there and search on them, this subject has been around for more than a year...

• There is a small place right down the road from @CothermanDistilling that sells a smaller unit for much less money, 4" screw press, couple hundred pounds an hour, Vincent Corp. Price is still up there though, it's not cheap stuff.

• I was thinking maybe use this unit to filter tpw to achieve a clearer wash??

• When I run my TPW it is crystal clear. A friend of mine is more impatient than me and uses something called SuperKleer or something like that to clear up his wash quicker.

• Are you sure you want a crystal clear feed going to your boiler? You could be missing out on some fantastic flavour opportunities.

• I believe that if you are after a neutral product, such as one from TPW, you might want to eliminate any source of possible off flavors, such as those from scorched yeast on the elements so the cleaner wash maybe the better in this case.

• Agreed on neutral but then again most neutral lovers will also be going through carbon to remove residual odours or flavours.

I haven't seen a cost effective filter for transferring wort to a still, if someone does I'll happily take a gander at it.

• Yes sir @TheMechWarrior, cost effective...is the catchall. Time, but then that may not be cost effective in a commercial scenario :-?
    That's where the centrifuge starts to look like a cost effective addition for the long term.

• I don't use any carbon anymore. Somehow been able to remove almost all off flavors in my neutrals. Along those lines, I have had problems KEEPING flavors in my whiskey :((

• On a home scale 1 micron beer filtering kits work like a charm, cheap as chips.

• FloridaCracker... as your cuts get tighter...out goes the flavor...

I got to where everything was getting neutral and had to work back. I mostly add more tails. Still don't want the heads.

The centrifuge is great and $1,400 isn't to bad. But that bowl is tiny and wouldn't hold much solids from a 100+ gallon mash.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @dad I know exactly what you mean I have been including more of the tails fractions into my rum. The latest rum is by far the best rum I've made and has by far the most tails. It was way too neutral and boring before, I spend a lot more time at the cutting table sniffing, sipping, mixing and breathing my booze than ever before!

• Greetings to the list - Has anyone tried to use the WVO centrifuge for molasses processing here?

• What kind of processing?

• Filtering solids.

• They have preheated for WVO processing. I'll bet they'd be needed for molasses too.

How big of solids are we talking and is it even needed?

Also big question on the WVO centrifuges (I've been eyeballing them too) ... what effect would the aluminum have on the spirit and spirit on aluminum? Is short duration contact even an issue?

• Why are you centrifuging molasses or rum beer?

• Clarification maybe a better word for modern black strap with high ash content.