StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Plum Brandy

edited January 2015 in Recipes

anyone made it before and has a good recipe?

Tagged:

Comments

• Type in plum brandy into the site search function and you'll find enough to keep you busy for a while ;)

• Use 5 or 6 lb plums per fermenter gallon. I freeze and defrost to help release the juice.

I dump them from the freezer into the fermenter and pour hot water on them. Then topup to fermenter volume with cold water and whizz them with a sharpened mortar mixer. Mine is ok in that it does not break any stones, just lifts most of the fruit off.

Then I take out a jug full and strain 3 pints into a clean demijon and add 3 pints of water. The yeast goes in the demijon and pectic enzyme goes into the fermenter. 24 hours later I pour the yeast starter into the fermenter and leave for 3 to 5 days.

After the initial few days I just pour in an extra 1lb of sugar for each fermenter gallon. The small amount of extra sugar gives a more vigorous fermentation, a slight increase in yield, and IMO a better flavour. Probably due to the vigorous fermentation.

When finished I put it through a big layered drum strainer to take out the stones and most of the pulp and clear the wash in 6 gallon water chiller bottles.

I do a strip run on 50% of the wash, add those low wines to the other 50% of the wash and do a spirit run on the fortified wash.

Mostly I drink it white and unaged.

• @Myles, and now you can send over a bottle so that I can verify the result! :D

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited January 2015

Thanks @miles ill put some plums in my freezer until Iv purchased a ace of hearts then ill give it a go

• edited January 2015

The freezer is a ingenious idea! The plums spoil so quickly, when they are ripe. I guess, it could work with other delicate fruits too, like apricots. This way, one could avoid unwanted germs.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• So good to see you again @cleadus1.
    Freezing fruit breaks the cell walls and helps tremendously to release the sugars.

Also makes them mushy which is the same thing? :)

• This is why blueberries turn to mush when thawed out! Saves a LOT of work if you want juice.

• edited January 2015

Freezing the prickly pears I used in my prickly pear melomel made all the difference. They go from being snot balls to being juice balls. I used to pick a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of them every Labor Day weekend on the dunes at Playalinda, in the shadow of launch pad 39B.

Since I moved to the tropics ten years ago I have not had access to those Playalinda prickly pears, so I have not been able to try distilling a prickly pear melomel brandy.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.