StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Uses for Foreshots

edited November 2014 in General

Yes, of course you can use them for cleaning stuff but what other uses have we found to stop us from chucking the foreshots down the drain.

Comments

• Firelighter, removing labels, ant killer, window wash....

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• fire ant killer?

An alcohol lamp you fill when you run the fores, and let burn in the front window to let the smart folks know you are making a run...

acetone added to your gas tank supposedly increases mileage?

• I used to run a kerosene camping heater in the shed from foreshots in the winter. Trouble was you couldn't see when it was alight, and you couldn't turn the wick down enough to put it out. Dangerous combination when you come in next day and the shed is toasty warm.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• probably should mix with kerosene in that case

• Modern engine construction may have improved since many can now run on 10% EtOH but engines from the 80s running with fores tossed in might result in damage to your cylinder heads and valve seats...at least it did for me. May have been a complete coincidence... :\"> someone here may have some solid facts.

• In the states, if you are commercial, destruction is the only use that doesn't require paying taxes.

Non-commercial? Paint brush cleaner!

• Farmers here use foreshots for cleaning the skin of their animals before surgery or other medical treatment.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Run it in the lawn mower :)

• you can 'destroy' it by using it right away for your intended purpose( pouring in the fire ant mound) or mixing with something that cannot be easily removed, like gasoline, no?

• In Texas, we use it for destroying large fire ant mounds.. pour in the foreshots from a 10 gallon run.. wait 30 seconds... throw a lit blue tip match into the mound.. stand back.... The "Whomp" sound is only the beginning...

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• Wish we had fire ants in the UK - "Whomp" sounds fun!

• @Grip said: Wish we had fire ants in the UK - "Whomp" sounds fun!

Ha,,,,,till your standing in a pile and don't realize it till it's too late.

I have about 2 acres and my kids have never really played in the yard because of fire ants...My wife wouldn't let em go out into the yard and when they were able to venture out they soon leaned the lesson.

Two major lesson's learned of my son's life. *Little boys only zip themselves up into their zippers one time to learn the lesson. *Little boys keep your heads down and look at the grass and your feet when in the yard.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I wouldn't wish fire ants on even the TTB... They are a pestilence of the first order. I treat the grounds, and re-treat every other month during the summer, the resilient bastards still persist to some extent. I have been enslaved by domestic management to do this to help protect canine paws or secondary bites wrought by one of the pesky fruckers falling off on ya ..

After the "Whomp" you see a small whisp of smoke be "chuted" by the main updraft... You see no flame, but I assure you, it's white hot heat coming outa that hole.... And, little ash piles that were fire ants... Maybe I'll do a YouTube on that next season when they start moving again..

• Try alternating your chemicals too. They can develop a tolerance.

Where the heck have you been??

• I use the foreshots for firelighter for the duff as i said, but have never really got a whomp like with petrol.

• It is kinda OT sorry, but tipping fores down fire ant nests and setting it alight is sooo yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfenREaMMJA

• That is a cool looking piece.

• Years ago my oldest son got into building camp stove alcohol burners from coke cans. He went through all of my heads and got into the hearts before I stopped him.

• edited November 2014

@Smaug said: Where the heck have you been??

Summer time - Band gets more bookings, garden and yard chores... Not a lot of online time - I look everyday out here. Things are cool, my Dash SGK is still my fav :D

@cunnyfunt -But, I am sooo yesterday... And, yes, that is a cool piece...

• Bad thing is the fire ants. Survived!

• I was told by a entomologist they are impossible to completely eradicate as they burrow 10-20 ft down and one must find the master colony or they'll just repopulate back in.. Hence the dry and spray treatments.. but those also iknown down fleas, ticks, etc.. Rural living at it's finest :D

• Baiting is best for ants unless one plans on constant on going treatment. Have to kill the queen.

• peanut butter mixed with 20 mule team borax and chocolate mixed with 20 mule team seem to wipe out the colony in most cases

• Obviously cleaner but a more interesting one is a guy next door to us that makes giant bbq pits out of steel 55gals. He uses mine to treat the metal in some way while he's cutting. I've never actually gone over to see... also it makes great lighter fluid

Then there's a nice girl who we redistill our fores and some feints together to get the off smell out. She uses it to make perfume so I guess it's ok to use as long as you're not consuming it.

• edited November 2014

Always thought that if you were using it for fuel (burning it, anywhere, in a lantern or a engine), or giving it to a third party for use somewhere else, you were responsible for paying taxes on it. Well, whatever you do you do, just remember the public answer is always "Destroyed in accordance with all state and federal laws".

• @grim what is the accepted ways of "Destroyed in accordance with all state and federal laws"?