StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Lloyd was in Houston, Texas

2»

Comments

• edited September 2014

Thanks, it feels so good to be back home.
    My time back in the states seems like a blur now but I'd do it again... seeing family and friends again, eating foods that I grew up enjoying and visiting Larry's Florida operation were the high points. Keeping my eyes open during the day and trying to close them at night was the low.

A few things disturbed me though. In less than 5 years the price of just about everything seemed to more than double. All the while I've read how the US had near zero inflation.

I've seen curiosities here that I had not seen in the states before I left (and thought someone could capitalize on importing those items) but I found they are also common in the states now. Just simple things like double walled, vacuum glass drinking cups.
    Its a pretty small world after all.

Got close to causing a scene in the WalMart check out line (purchasing Fruit of the Loom drawers) when the gentleman behind me started ranting about China - not sure how it started but I think it was his comment that everything was made in China and that they were hell bent on destroying the US dollar.
    I took the bait and asked why China would want to destroy the dollar since they had about 1.3 trillion of them and then commented that we're doing a damn fine job of debasing the buck without any outside help by our gov'ts tripling of the money supply in less than a decade.
    But fiscal logic is often lost on rednecks and I excused myself from the conversation.

When in China I view myself as a diplomat of the United States and I never forget that the folks here see my behavior as typical of all Americans (though that view may not be entirely accurate the perception is nonetheless true). So being polite, helpful and friendly is second nature to me.

Suffering fools in the USA WalMart checkout line is not, however, mandatory.

• edited September 2014

I know what it's like mate. Got in a punchup when i was doing training and travelling at a small country pub one night because i called some redneck to order for saying that it should be illegal to wear a burka.

If you don't agree with their bigotry then you are the enemy.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Lloyd: good, that you are home again, safe and sound! :) This China hate is also common here in Europe, but until now we have no problem declaring to our customers, where the goods are made. It is good quality, and at least we are honest about it. Not like some big players, who say they don't buy in China, and then at a closer look, you see - they do! (And want prime money for their stuff.)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I've seen that too @Sunshine.
    Some guy's website in Colorado says to "Beware of cheap Chinese knockoffs of our products" while he is vending knockoffs of StillDragon's products that he sources in China.
    There seems to be a lot of that kind of thing and "Proudly Made in USA" stickers could be peeled off to expose the truth. That's them.

We don't need to steal other peoples ideas, we can hardly keep up with the development of our own ideas! We work hand in hand with the factories here to get the best value for quality goods. Sure, I screw up on occasion and am quick to admit it - but StillDragon stands alone in supplying innovative gear in both small and large quantities. That's us.

The simple truth is SD sets the market price now that others have to follow. We have caused other companies to lower their prices (or match ours when they steal from us). Before StillDragon there was no source for many of the items that distillers take for granted now and gone are the days when someone could charge you $3 for a 2" gasket, $500 for a 2" shotgun condenser or $25 for a 4" end cap.

So when some guy comes to me demanding I either give him 35% off our prices or he will copy our products I'll still tell him the same thing I told the Colorado guy (rhymes with luck yosef).
    And I never say anything to the guys that bitch and moan and whine about how much effort it takes to polish off the SD etching so they can resell the parts, at a huge markup, as something that they made themselves.
    Or vending a SD DIY kit or SGK on eBay for 2 to 3 times the price on the SD website.

Dang, feeling a bit tired and ornery as the jet lag is still catching up and I digress, had a great trip. And it feels wonderful being back home.

• Read my rant in the above post and I'm sorry for that.
    If I get hungry, tired, sleepy or drunk I tend to get wordy 8-}
    Hungry and drunk is probably worse than tired and sleepy.

• well. as an ambassador you would not be the first choice, being diplomatic and so - but I think, you are right. >:)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @Lloyd that's why we love your products. You stand by them. Besides Luck Yosef is my best friend, and he doesn't mind that you use his name to endorse your product and keep the scum at bay. Drink, Eat and be happy.

• @Sunshine said: well. as an ambassador you would not be the first choice, being diplomatic and so - but I think, you are right. >:)

Haha, I couldn't agree more. True diplomacy is thinking and believing one thing and saying the opposite. So I've yet to receive any payment from the State Department for my diplomatic skills.
    And as for being an official ambassador, I must emphatically state for the record that if nominated I will not accept and if elected I will not serve (unless paid in advance, perks as defined on pages 2 through 26 and I get a secretary that fetches coffee and calls me "Your Majesty"). So probably not going to happen?

@MikeAggie Mr. Yosef tends to be most useful when someone contacts me insisting I buy everything from them else they threaten to copy my products. Mr. Yosef seems to translate well into any language.
    As for product development, I really have to be careful. I get a silly idea stuck in my brain and it might rattle around for a few months before I ask the SD core for help, advice or guidance. I'm blessed to have Punkin to keep me grounded and focused or we might very well have less of what is important and a lot more silly crap (anyone remember the ill-fated brass burner jets?)

LawOfOhms wants measurements on new product ideas so he can model it for production.
    Larry doesn't say much except that if he had 50 of them he would sell them in short order.
    Punkin calls dibbs on 2 or 3 to be added to his sea freight that will leave port in a day or two, then a week later he needs 10 sent ASAP by express.

Mostly I run my still and try to make it the best in the world and in that moment comes a rare clarity of what is right or wrong. For every twenty "what if I do this" comes maybe one useful gem. And three to ten prototypes later a useful StillDragon part is born.
    Or someone plants a seed in my head and it rattles around for awhile.

I love my job. I really do.

• @Lloyd you should put together a write up on the work involved from from planing to first builds then on in to assembly line production. Through to the boxing factory and then finally the shipping. I don't think a lot of people know how much work is involved. Pic's would be really cool to

• Nice looking family you've got there Smaug!

• Yeah but the daughter can be mean... she ate the last shrimp from her shrimp cocktail before I could steal it.

• Well you did eat half of Jackson's french fries.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Lloyd told me yesterday that he had a list of everything he wanted to eat when he was in the states.

Lloyd ate everything on the list and then ate the list. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks Rock.

• your all a mob of suck holes. I am going to be honest the miss and kids are good looking specimens but them other two are questionable or perhaps a required taste. =))

• I'm on your side Drunkas, one of the blokes has got a fat ass and Lloyds no picture either.

I'm just glad that i stand out as the good looking StillDragon team member. :-h

• Maybe a couple in Europe that will disagree with ya linking over. Who might be the best lookin in the Sd group...

• Punkin, you are delusional.

The only thing attractive about you is your yummy looking sausage fingers put to the flame and then smothered with onions and hot sauce. Beyond that,,,, you do have a good personality.

• ...and that's being kind :))

• Shut up about my fingers. You know i have a terrible aversion to fat fingers. Since you said i had sausage fingers ages ago i told Bourbon Girl how ridiculous you were to say that and you know what she said?

"Well you have got fat fingers."

Since then i have had an aversion to my own hands, and that has ruined my other hobby forever. :))

• Sorry. I do apologize that your fingers are repulsive to your person.

• edited September 2014

Ok we need a picture of each of you at your best to make a formal decision. I was only commenting on Smaugs family not the two beasts who must of photo bombed the otherwise nice picture. =))

• Sheeoot. I'm purty.

• No rest for the wicked, we've booked our travel arrangements to inspect the next load of boilers going to the US.
    We'll be away all day Friday and Saturday of this week so you guys try to behave while we're gone :)>-

And for the record, I'm allowed to be here because of my rugged good looks (unlike the other guys).

• Godspeed. I hope they are ready for you.