Low Sulfur Wash for Vodka Question

edited February 2014 in Recipes

I'm under the impression that a sugar wash with adequate nitrogen should be relatively sulfur free. I'm using EC-1118 yeast, partly because of current temperatures and other characteristics. Anyone care to give us their experience in minimizing sulfur. Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2014

Use copper to reduce sulphur during distilation. Polishing with carbon after distillation will reduce it. I cant see it being much of a problem if your yeast has a good source of nutrient during fermentation. I personally have never had even a hint of sulphur smell in anything I have fermented, Beer or spirit. Lucky I guess.

• edited February 2014

I just read in the other copper thread you are on to copper. You know about nitrogen. Are you having problems with sulphur?

• Just starting to distil again after a few year of being inactive. Looking to prevent a problem rather than react to it after fermentation. Also don't like cleaning mesh if I can prevent it up front.

• edited February 2014

I hear you on that. I honestly don't think you will have a problem if your yeast.is happy and within temps and are nourished.

Done quote me though :)

• i haven't had an issue with EC1118 or other distilling yeasts.

Lager yeasts for beer making on the other hand are famous for it, however after a diacetyl rest (warming to Ale temps for 24 hrs then returning to lager fermetn temps) & having an extended lager period (do it in bulk not in bottles) should clear any up.

• edited February 2014

Can't smell the sulphur from the tomato :P
    +1 on the diacytle rest cdawg. Didn't know it would help with sulphur. Will keep it in mind :)