Smaller Milk Can - Boiler / Thumper

edited February 2015 in Configuration

I am mostly thinking of the sub 5" users in this topic.

There is a lot of interest in the side mounted column concept, and often it is for good reasons of head height etc. I like the idea because of the ability to introduce a copper section into the vapour path over the boiler.

Now thinking of ways to mount the column, I keep coming back to the benefits of the milk can boiler.

So how about a 30 liter milk can. Keep all the existing ports and the 4" column mount and use it as either a parasitic or a heated secondary boiler under the plated column. I was going to use a 30 liter keg myself with the 2" connection, but if a 30 liter boiler with a 4" connection was available i would use it instead.

Would make an easy thumper (to go with a 50 liter milk can boiler) for those interested in pot stilling also.

Comments

• edited February 2015

I don't think we are going below 50L, which really is a good size for a milk can boiler, especially now with our new REDACTED becoming available next week. With such small vessels it does not get any cheaper if you go smaller because it's not the material but the work being responsible for the costs. If we see demand for a smaller Milk Can than 50L we can have a look, but I doubt that makes much sense.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited February 2015

@SDeurope said: especially now with our new REDACTED becoming available next week.

OK how did I miss that? I knew it was being considered but haven't seen any details. Have i missed a topic somewhere?

• edited February 2015

Whoops, that info was TOP SECRET, so don't tell anyone else! :D

We'll make the announcement as soon as we are able to ship, our container should arrive at the beginning of next week but we'll need a couple of days for unloading, updating our stock and publishing the new products.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• OK now the boiler is out of the box (so much nicer than cats in bags ;) ).

Will the boiler support the weight of a 4" 6 plate dash. Possibly with a stronger lid? Or is the boiler pot itself not strong enough.

I know this was never the intent, and I am NOT talking about for use as a primary boiler. This is most definitely aimed at an alternative option for a base for a side mounted column. Suitably modified with a drain, fluid level indicator, etc etc.

Just a concept at this point, hence open for discussion. Is there a more conventional 4" table mount in the SD catalogue? I think there were a few special order ones at one time, but I don't know if they were just trials or production items.

• +1 I am currently tinkering with the idea of a few side mounted columns mounted to a 2 tier stainless cart I have, so some off the shelf mounts for 4" columns would be a nice option to have. May also be able to retrofit a standard 4x2x4 tee with the via a bolted flange to tri clamp fitting...

• edited February 2015

I would not try to mount a 4" 6 plate dash without a pipe hanger, that would actually do all the lifting. I doubt, that the stove top boiler would stand solid, even if it could bare the weight (which I don't think, it does)

• I am sure there were some bolt down table mounts developed at one point, but my interest is to take this a step further and use a parasitic boiler as the column mount.

I just don't see the logic in returning the column bottoms directly to the boiler. OK I know this is common practice on the commercial scale, but for the smaller producer it is daft.

On the small scale, you need to think about cost and diluting your boiler charge just doesn't make sense.

• @Sunshine thanks. It was always a long shot. This boiler is ideal for a pot still but asking it to support a dash may be going a step to far.

I built a pot still years ago as a custom order but the owner provided the boiler. A military grade pressure cooker. I never did manage to find a source for the boiler.

This boiler is ideal for the intended use. My personal inclination would be to build a hollow graham condenser sized to fit inside the boiler and add in a sectional pot still. Pack everything inside the boiler and take it on a camping trip.

Gravity fed condenser from a colapsable water bottle, low wines charge transported to the camp site, and you are good to go.

• @Myles do you do a lot of bushwhacking stilling? :)

• @Myles is my personal hero of still building. ^:)^

• @brewsmith said: Myles do you do a lot of bushwhacking stilling? :)

Not as much now as I used to do. ;)