StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

First wash being planned, what would you suggest.

2»

Comments

• I agree mostly with what fadge has said Micki, I wouldn't get to hung up on the PH thing , especially for a TPW. Its a pretty fool proof recipe. Unless you have some really weird PH water where you live it should be fine. Maybe Im lucky in that I have a rain water tank that I use for all my washes, Ive never tested or adjusted PH for TPW UJSM or Rum and have never had a ferment stall. If PH issues arise in UJSM or Rum washes its usually because to much dunder / backset was used.

@fadge said: I make up tpw on a regular basis, most times I'm using hot back set to invert the sugar for the next batch rather than refill the boiler.

Fadge have you smelled the backset from a TPW?, It doesn't make sense to me to put something that smells that bad into a wash your trying to make a Neutral Spirit from.

• Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm just going to let it run and see what happens. It's still bubbling it's head off and down to 3.2.

• @fadge said: I bought a digital ph meter to check washes, but the funny thing is I've used it once and never bothered again. In my experience we are just getting a product to distill, not like wine that is an end product and does in fact need good control, same as beer.

Some washes are ready to run after a week with the "right" temps and all, others take longer its just the way it is.

I make up tpw on a regular basis, most times I'm using hot back set to invert the sugar for the next batch rather than refill the boiler with fresh water or use another water heating urn. I just use the minimum to do the job then water from the tap to top it up, add the paste, look at the temp strip, anywhere between 20c-35c and I chuck in the bakers yeast, it takes off and works fine. Do not add too much sugar is the advice I will add, sometimes less is better, getting to greedy will slow the process down. I could just be lucky with my method and my water, but I reckon we can sometimes over-think or worry about minor issues like ph for nothing.

I do check SG most times prior to running and taste the wash as well, tastes like cheap wine then its ok, too sweet and its not ready. Normally just by looking at the wash and how it has cleared or settled is a good benchmark, place your ear against the fermenter to hear the bubbling hiss is another indicator, at times some air locks are not sealed or appear not to be working.

That's just my thoughts and I don't knock anyone that checks and adjusts washes or uses other methods.

fadge

Wouldn't adding backset add flavors to the final product? I always thought that a TPW was minimal flavors in = minimal flavors out. Maybe you have found something that the rest of us should try.

• Down to 3.12 this morning. Still bubbling away like crazy. @SBB_ @Kapea I think you are right pH doesn't really seem to matter. I'm going to see a yeast man in the Barossa next week, spend a couple of days with him. When we make wine I have always done what Mr Yeast as I call him has told me to do and his advice has always been spot on. At 3.12 in the chardonnay I would be crapping myself by now. I am fortunate enough that I have access to a Liquid Gas Chromatograph at my previous place of employment, so out of curiosity I have been taking a 25 ml sample everyday. It's going to be interesting to see what is in the wash and what isn't.

• edited March 2015

@SBB_ said: Fadge have you smelled the backset from a TPW?, It doesn't make sense to me to put something that smells that bad into a wash your trying to make a Neutral Spirit from.

Yep TPW backset smells like the left over water from cooking corned beef, I agree its a bit average, how-ever minimum used is what I'm talking about, just real hot once I've turned off the still from stripping the TPW, at very max 1lt per kilo of sugar, 60lt wash is around 10lt sugar perhaps 8 lt backset at the most, not a lot, extra hot inverts sugar very easy.

My understanding as per say a ujssm is that backset does have some nuitients, my TPW is stripped then run a second time for spirit, I'd bet a side by side comparison none of us could pick backset/fresh wash.

I reckon the leftover wash in the boiler from the spirit run is the most smelly and rank product that I get.

Like I said it works for me very well, and if I'm pushed for time and don't get the fermenter drums washed and cleaned while stripping then I will use all fresh water in the following wash and just discard all leftovers from the boiler anyway. I do not keep it for later or anything, down the dunny it goes.

cheers guys

Fadge

• @Kapea said: If it starts to slow down before reaching a specific gravity of less than 1.000 raise the pH with some NaOH.
    3.3 is getting towards the low end, but it sounds like your yeast are still pretty happy.

pH 2.81 after day 3. Adelaide water is shit, you can't drink it. But it's still bubbling away like crazy. I will get some NaOH tomorrow just in case. Will this low pH leave any off flavours? If not I won't do anything.

• Check your pH meter calibration. How does it taste? Sweet? Dry?

• edited March 2015

Meter is calibrated, it's a certified instrument I use for checking the calibration of pH instruments connected to PLCs. I always check it using buffers before use just to make sure as well. Still tastes very sweet and wet. sg at 1.040.

• I don't know if low pH causes off-flavors. Mostly it causes stuck fermentation if it goes low enough to cause the yeast to go dormant. If the fermentation appears to slow, or stop, before sub 1.000 SG is achieved, then low pH should be addressed.

Sounds like your yeast are still pretty happy.

What does "wet" taste like?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited March 2015

@Kapea said: I don't know if low pH causes off-flavors. Mostly it causes stuck fermentation if it goes low enough to cause the yeast to go dormant. If the fermentation appears to slow, or stop, before sub 1.000 SG is achieved, then low pH should be addressed.

Sounds like your yeast are still pretty happy.

What does "wet" taste like?

Not dry :D sugary and very carbonated, tastes better than some of those ciders you get on tap at the local pub, how sad is that. sg 1032 pH 2.73. Bubbling away like crazy.

• I can't believe your yeast haven't gone nite nite with that low of a pH.

• Me too. I added some NaOH today to get it back up over 3.3. Still bubbling away sg 1018.