StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Would you use this "molasses"?

124»

Comments

• @Kapea said: Over on a couple of the other forums there is a rum writeup by a guy named pugido g about his recipe for pugi rum. It is very detailed and explains a lot about rum oils and dunder. Well worth a read!

That's the last recipe that I used. I tried to find these oils. Kept everything down to 20% and I won't do that again. Adds about 1 hour on to my run time which is already too long. Some people rave about the smell off of the still. Mine, not so much to brag about and I had an awesome fermentation.

• edited February 2015

Did you use any backset in that run? Or straight water?

• Just water. This was my first successful run so I didn't have any backset. I did only distill it once to try and save flavors. I kept from 90 abv down to about 75 to age.

• Well, it appears that time, age and oak can probably save anything that I can muck-up. After less than ONE WEEK my rum actually smells like rum. I proofed it down to 65%, oaked about half, left some white and put some on coconut. Been shaking a few times a day and have been opening for 15-20 minutes a day. Maybe I was expecting too much right off of the still.

Oh, and in a stroke of good luck, I happened by some wild sugar cane and grabbed a couple of canes. Since I just started my dunder pit this past weekend I figured that about 12" of cane in it would maybe make it think that it was in Kingston. How long would you leave it in the dunder?

• Till it sprouts...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Thanks Dad. In these parts that will probably be in a week or two.

BTW, what happened to the angry dog avatar?

• @FloridaCracker said: BTW, what happened to the angry dog avatar?

From the looks of his new avatar, he had his balls cut off... TWICE! :-O

:))

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @FloridaCracker said: Well, it appears that time, age and oak can probably save anything that I can muck-up. After less than ONE WEEK my rum actually smells like rum. I proofed it down to 65%, oaked about half, left some white and put some on coconut. Been shaking a few times a day and have been opening for 15-20 minutes a day. Maybe I was expecting too much right off of the still.

pretty amazing what charred oak can do, prolly the only reason any hooch was drinkable hundreds of years ago... charred oak and yeast, nature's gifts to us ;-)

• Had half my balls removed in 1990...wives have merely shrunk the other (it's still there). I might consider putting it in vodka for safe keeping.

Cooper the Anatolian Shepard died...got a cancer in his hip of all places. That was one massive dog. Thought he was a goat!

• edited February 2015

Oh man. I'm sorry to hear that @dad. From your tellings, Cooper sounded like a very cool dog.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Thanks...probably first and last to be around 180lb dog. I've always felt pure breeds have weaknesses. He was an intimidating mofo though!

Fedex driver sat in his truck, outside the gate and honked the horn.

• I remember the cops coming to a mates place once. He had a red and a blue cattle dog on the verandah. The cops stood on the footpath and tossed stones at the door to get his attention rather than open the gate with those dogs there. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2015

Agree dad. Very good friend of mine who makes much of his income training dogs for protection and the like.

He often comments how the gene pool is far too shallow particularly for the very popular breeds

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @punkin over your side of the pond are you allowed to breed the 1/2 or 1/4 true wolf genetics? In the UK they don't like it, but they can be very nice looking dogs.

• edited March 2015

Don't know mate, we have our own wild dogs here in the dingo. Not spossed to keep them, but they are so crossbred into the other breeds you'd have a hard time telling if it's pure bred or not.

Just googled and there are a few wolves;

Are There Any Wolves In Australia? : I Am a Wolf Traped In a Human Body Story & Experience

Everyn sounds like she is a wolf and she's from the wind/water pack.

We do have some dangerous dog laws, but they are mostly aimed at American Pit Bulls and a few other breeds that make the news regularly after mauling their owners children etc. There's been a few deaths.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Don't know mate, we have our own wild dogs here in the dingo. Not spossed to keep them, but they are so crossbred into the other breeds you'd have a hard time telling if it's pure bred or not.

Just googled and there are a few wolves;

Are There Any Wolves In Australia? : I Am a Wolf Traped In a Human Body Story & Experience

Everyn sounds like she is a wolf and she's from the wind/water pack.

We do have some dangerous dog laws, but they are mostly aimed at American Pit Bulls and a few other breeds that make the news regularly after mauling their owners children etc. There's been a few deaths.

I tell ya, you can keep those American Pit Bulls over there with....

uhh..

oh,

forget it

• Got lots of creatures over here that will kill a pitbull :))

• edited March 2015

You ever heard of these little buggers @punkin .. I hadn't until recently when a mate mentioned he'd been hit by one. Reckon one of these little fellas would fix a Pit bull pretty fast.
    Native to some of our waters , Its about the size of four match heads and packs a punch.

The initial sting is typically mild and is followed, minutes to hours later, by vomiting, profuse sweating, headache, agitation, rapid heart rate and very high blood pressure. The increase in blood pressure may be life-threatening and can be associated with abnormal heart beat and heart failure. The symptoms may last from hours to several days, and victims usually require hospitalisation. Though the syndrome was first described almost fifty years ago, its pharmacological basis and a specific treatment have eluded investigators. In rare cases, the victim suffers pulmonary oedema which could be fatal if not treated.

Irukandji Jellyfish
    Never was keen on swimming in the ocean, less so now.

• Sounds a bit like puberty.
    Oldest grandson just became a teen... I figure he'll be going through all of the above.

Did have a Pit Bull once, sweetest dog ever named Beau. Calm and loving and pure, rippling muscle.
    'cept one day a meter-reader came into the back yard and his personality fragmented into a ferocious, uncontrollable beast. 'cept for my first wife I'd never seen anything like that before.
    Got worse with age and by year four we had to have him put down. His split personality took a turn towards the dark side and we became afraid that he'd actually kill someone.
    We just couldn't find anyone to take him unless they wanted to fight him.
    Broke our hearts because we loved him but he turned into a very, very scary dog.

We never did put down the first wife, though, and she could be even meaner.

• There are a lot of dogs that can be just as aggressive but most don't have the size or power to kill a man (or ex wife). Most of the people here in the States who have them are either trying to be cool or trying to impress their boys in the hood. Or their peeps in the streets. Or their other redneck buddies. Or their homeys in the, well, you get it.

• You can still swim up there Bill, just gotta wear panty hose they tell me.

OfCourseThePantyHoseWon'tStopTheCrocsPunkin

• edited March 2015

Alright, my next try at rum here:

1/2 gal of GFS molasses per 5 Gal bucket, diluted with hot water and then brought to pitch with cold water to a total of 4 gal. Will let it bubble for a couple of days and then add another 1/2 gal diluted to 1 gal in hot water.

=> Based on my calc's that should give about 11% wash

• You will really like that GFS molasses. My last few washes have been awesome. Ferment out quickly and cleanly. No extra garbage, just 100% molasses.

• How much did you dilute it to & what was your yield?

• I am now using 2 1/2 gallons per 26 gallon wash. I also add 21 lbs of brown sugar. The molasses really give a nice carry over flavor and 2 1/2 gallons is just about right for my taste. I use conservative cuts and still get about 2 1/2 gallons of usable spirit before proofing. Start my spirit run with about 5 gallons of low wines and I don't go below about 40abv on either run.