StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Vapor Feed Size

2»

Comments

• did you just say 'crystal dyson'?

• edited January 2015

I would think that a 4" vapor path from a 12" column is more restrictive than a 2" vapor path on a 4 or 5" column, assuming a proportional power input, at least it is from a ratio/mathematics perspective.

Now, my knowledge of fluid dynamics is entirely self-taught, and is primary focused on the dynamics of whiskey in a rocks glass, so I'll say I know absolutely nothing.

... but using things like temporary chokes shouldn't have any real impact at all here, the piping distances we are talking about are small, the vapor flow rates are generally low. Taking a boiler, restricting to 1" or 2", than back to 4" or 5"? The vapor will speed up for all of that 1/32nd of distance and then immediately slow down. This comment applies to the choke washers on the gin basket too, that makes no sense at all to me. Sure, at any point in the system the pressure will differ slightly, but we are talking about tiny numbers here.

The way I look at it is as if you could take a horizontal slice through the equipment. The vapor speed in that "slice" is pretty much going to be determined by that cross-sectional area of the column, despite the restrictions before or after that within reason.

4":12" = 12.57:113.1 = .111

2":5" = 3.14:19.63 = .16

2":4" = 3.14:12.57 = .25

2":2" = 3.14:3.13 = 1 (2" pot still with 2" condenser)

I know there is tons of research on the column differential pressure and the impact on efficiency (or to test for flooding), but that's beyond me.

• Actually, aren't there folks here running a 2" vapor piping and condenser on the 8" crystal dragon or dash?

2":8" = 3.14:50.27 = .062

That would be even more restrictive on the take-off.

• But could the speeding vapor through the small orifice keep liquid suspended above it or from dropping through the orifice?

A 'crystal dyson' would have the proper amount of suction!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• So that's what they would call the SD vacuum distillation column... the "Crystal Dyson"

Excellant!

FS

• Shssssss....

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• This is where the foam breakers on some of the german stills seem to work. They have separate vapour and liquid paths through the plate. Vapour goes up and liquid down, without them trying to pass through the same hole.

• edited February 2015

@SDeurope mentioned on another topic, that you may also need to consider not only the vapour inlet relative to the column diameter but also the vapour inlet relative to the vapour path through the plates.

Perhaps this might be a more usefull thing to consider.