StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Dephlegmator Temperature Control

2»

Comments

• That's weird. I haven't seen yet a PWM that's that restricted in output frequency. Usually, even the low-powered micro's that I've been working with were able to pull at least 1kHz. Must be some restriction implemented on the software side - maybe to protect mechanical relays from switching too often.

• I think the PWM is implemented in software on the BCS, not a specific circuit or asic or such. If I had time, this is just a 0-5vdc to 0-12vdc boost converter, but I don't have the time...

• Time seems to be one of the most rare goods after money ;) I totally get it... just got back to work and already have my plate so full that I can't really obsess as much about my favorite topic.

• OK, BCS folks admitted they are working on a new hardware version and will have some 4-20mA outputs... I put in a request to be alpha/beta tester and offered to pre-order one... If I can convince them to have it count the ticks of a flowmeter sensor and display flows, it will be the perfect still controller...

• edited January 2015

Currently looking into Arduino again: Arduino RTD Shield
    Need to build my own lib for Netduino but they seem to have a good Aruino lib. Together with a web server and datalogger shield should be also feasible.
    HOWEVER if BCS comes with a HW update that should knock it out of the park. Do you know how old the current platform is? Thinking about Moore's law and the horsepower I see on current automotive controllers then we can brace for some excitment...

• edited January 2015

@CothermanDistilling said: OK, BCS folks admitted they are working on a new hardware version and will have some 4-20mA outputs... I put in a request to be alpha/beta tester and offered to pre-order one... If I can convince them to have it count the ticks of a flowmeter sensor and display flows, it will be the perfect still controller...

Ha! I searched more info on this and found the thread that you bumped every month over on ECC Forum:

4-20mA and RTD support @ ECC Forum

And then the one where you were coughing so much you must have had a cold:

Re: our distillery BCS... @ ECC Forum

• @Unsensibel - Can you code? If so, there are plenty of pc-connected options that are very interesting, I'd previously built a number of systems based on a National Instruments USB DAQ setup. If you know C# or VB you can pretty much do anything you can dream up. I even played around with a nice piece of kit from www.labjack.com that was similar, and much better priced, but only had 2 analog outputs.

• C#! All that newfangled stuff! What's wrong with good ole' C ;) Used to code a lot as that used to be my bread and butter but haven't done anything anymore for about 10 years. Labjack looks intriguing also. But I think for the amount of money you can get an arduino with RTD capability.