StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Packing in hybrid?

I currently have a 4 plate dash and recently ordered a 4"x20" triclamp pipe to put above the plates when making a neutral. I am planning on packing this with stainless scrubbers. Does anyone have any suggestions on what specific brand of scrubbers to use? My grocery store has 3 packs of the scotchbrite pads @ about $3... just seems like i would need a million of the damn things to fill this column up. Are there better options? How many pads do people with similar rigs usually have to use?? How tight do you pack the pads? Would a filter disk below the pads and above the plates (to keep them in place) be a good idea??

Thanks! Jasper

Comments

• I am currently using scoria with good results, as are others here on the board. The key is finding a good source, and then sizing them correctly (read: smash with a hammer). I am using pieces about the size of a quarter and smaller. Then rinse, boil and repeat until the water runs clear. Bit of a process, but so far the rocks have shown no sign of wear, so hopefully it wont be a regular thing, and I only paid $3 for enough rock to pack two of your sized columns. Last run with two perf and bubble plates each topped with my 4" x 36" column I was easily pulling 3.5l/h+ @ azeotrope

• A couple of things:

1. When shopping for stainless scrubbers take a magnet with you to test the quality of the scrubbers, any brand will do so long as it passes.
    2. You'll want reflux centering above your packing (ideally)
    3. I have a welded screen in the bottom of my packed section to hold everything in place. You could use a perf plate.
    4. Best guess is you'll be looking about 100 scrubbers, I haven't used scrubbers since I moved from 2".
    5. Tighter than you might think. As a test you want to be able to blow air through when you are done.
    6. When packing run a hose at the top of your column to assist with uniform and tight packing.
    7. The hose trick works well in reverse when unpacking.
    8. You'll get much better performance out of rolling your own structured copper packing (see image attached)

Cheers,

Mech.

copper_packing.jpg
    450 x 800 - 74K
  • @Jasper, brands will depend on whaere you are. In Oz, I bought "oates" brand from bunnings - they are large so I only needed 6 or 7 to pack my 4" hybrid extension. They come in a 3 pack & were pretty cheap.

• I am in the US so, unfortunately, no oates brand gigantic scrubbers as far as i know. Is there any other brands that sells big ones and/or rolls of it? Would it be worth buying the stainless packing from mile hi? I really hate to deal with those bozos but it looks like it about $14 a pound (not sure how much of that i would need either, though??).

• can't comment on milehi or what is available in the US. why not checkout the big places like sears & HD? Walmart even...

• Amphora society has the best copper packing available. They are in the states.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Amphora society has the best copper packing available. They are in the states.

Is there any sort of stainless alternative? Any idea how many pounds i would need in a 4x20" column??

• +1 for what @punkin said, highly recommended!

• In my opinion you should resrve the copper packing to be sacraficial. It will degrade over time. If you cant find stainless scrubbers others have tried stainless wool. And there is a whole range of suitable filter materials in the aquatic centres. I am using pummice gravel that is about 8 to 10mm. You can get pummice pellets in any size you want, it is a filter media, but it is more expensive.

• edited December 2014

check out www.webstaurantstore.com they have two different sizes and are good quality. I use them here at work all the time.

• edited December 2014

OK - looks like pure stainless packing is going to get somewhat expensive and may not even be the best option for a 4" column.

My current thought (after reading this thread @ HD) is to use a SD filter disc to hold everything above my plates, a somewhat tightly packed stainless scrubber section at the bottom 3" of the pipe with the remaining 17" packed with scoria. My thinking is the filter disc will hold everything up while distilling, and once i remove for cleaning the stainless scrubbers will hold the scoria from spewing all over my floor. Any thoughts on this? Will the filter disc work for this or is flooding a potential issue??

Will the scoria/stainless packing require a lot of cleaning or do i just need to flush with water once in a while?? I am looking for the lazy mans solution... dont want to be soaking copper after every run.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
    Jasper

• edited December 2014

Also - would this stuff work?

1/4" Black lava rock (small) @ Mendards

• I can't speak for anything outside of stainless and copper but I can tell you that all I do to maintain my packing is a water flush from the top after each run. Every month or so depending on the number of runs I'll remove the packing and give it a decent clean. I just toss it into the dishwasher with no detergent so it gets a good hot rinse and then I bath it in citric followed by a flush under the tap and another cycle through the dishwasher with no detergent before it goes back in to the column. Every column run involves a period of full reflux ensuring a thorough solvent clean of the packing; you compress your fores/heads and remove slowly dispatching with the fores etc.

• With the large SS Scrubbies from the restaurant supply, it will take 20 for every 24" of 4" column...18 for 36" of 3" column.

In qty, they are ~$1usd a piece.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @dad said: With the large SS Scrubbies from the restaurant supply, it will take 20 for every 24" of 4" column...18 for 36" of 3" column.

In qty, they are ~$1usd a piece.

Got a link?

• edited December 2014

@FullySilenced said: Stainless Steel Heavy Weight Scouring Pads - 12 / Pack @ WebstaurantStore

So you only need about 20 or so of those to pack a 4x20 column? Sorry - was thinking dad meant a different store than diesellover linked earlier...

• i searched for bulk ss scrubbers and thats the link that came up .... i didn't compare the links sorry...

• daddad
    edited December 2014

100 gram version... first time I say a weight

Staples office supply sells three versions $11.99usd for case of 12 or $7.99 if you buy 6 cases...so 66cents a piece

SSScrubbie.jpg
    380 x 380 - 22K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Holy crap! That's huge :D