StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Keg Insulation Suggestions

edited September 2014 in General

Hi All,

I have been looking without much luck for keg insulation ideas that are inexpensive and doesn't mean i have to construct a giant 44 gal "device" to sit my keg in (I am hopeless building or fabricating).

Is there a product available in Aus or is everyone using a custom designed wrap?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited September 2014

Are you using gas or electricity? I can't speak for gas but with my electric boiler I just use a couple of cheap camping mats wrapped around and then duct taped.

• I was planning on using some neoprene with a ballistic nylon jacket for my brew kettles. I figure even with no sewing knowledge I can pull it off without much difficulty.

• There is an insulation product that works very well for electric boilers called aircell. It is bubblewrap covered with silver foil. A bit exe but works very well.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Best product to use by far is ceramic fiber, they sell it as a board or blanket. It has reflective heat properties. It's used to insulate kilns. Not expensive at all. Using electric or propane will cut your consumption by half. I have a drum lined with it and can reach temps that melt glass easily.

• Thanks all, i currently run gas but will probably move to electric next year. Going to checkout the ceramic fibre so thanks Mike!!

• I made the change from propane to electric and never regretted it, only wish I'd done it sooner.
    Had there been easy access to cheap natural gas I probably would have never made the switch.

Electric is tons more convenient and accurate to use.

In the states I had my pickup truck bed sprayed with the "hard as nails" bedliner. Never quite got it out of my head that it could be sprayed on a keg boiler. Thinking a wrap of common fiberglass insulation around the keg body and a spray of that good stuff would give a near perfect shell.

• @Drunkas that's the stuff some shorter rolls go for cheaper. It's a great insulator when the still is fired up you can maintain heat without trying. I have accidentally shut the propane off without realizing it because my temps had stabilized so now I have a flow meter to make sure that doesn't happen again.

• I'm wondering how one plumbs an aluminum keg for electric elements? any help?

• edited September 2014

Like this?

2inch x 48mm adapter.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
  • Its going to be fantastic if these will seal up against a curved surface!

• @AB1965 have a look at an HVAC source because here in the UK we can get closed cell foam in various thicknesses. Both as flat sheets and also as pre-shaped tubes to fit virtually any size copper pipe. The flat sheet is good for electric boilers. The other alternative is a a simple outer skin and to fill the gap with expanding foam.

For an early glycol boiler I insulated an aluminium pot by putting it inside a cardboard skin and filling the gap with expanding foam. Once it had cured I then wrapped a fiberglass skin around it for durability.

• The problem with the 50 liter kegs is the curve on the lower dome. It is a bit difficult to get the element as low as would be liked without welding a fitting into place. On a 100 liter keg it is a bit easier to do it with a compression fitting.

These new SD fittings require a smaller diameter hole so it should be a bit easier. You still need to fit them to a vertical section on the keg though. Unless you can bend the element - that might be a solution for fitting an element into the lower dome section. As it is going to be clamped on, a bent element is feasible.

You still need access to the inside of the keg though - so you probably wish to use a 4" or bigger TC fitting in the top of the keg.

• @jonno said: Its going to be fantastic if these will seal up against a curved surface!

I doubt it but maybe you can beat a section of the keg flat before drilling a 48mm hole?

• Lloyd these look great, potentially for the small 30 liter kegs also. What size is the inner bore of this fitting?

• @Myles said: What size is the inner bore of this fitting?

39.6mm

• @Lloyd said: I doubt it but maybe you can beat a section of the keg flat before drilling a 48mm hole?

I've flattened many a section of keg walls before drilling to make fitting a ferrule easier. It would work just fine on the side of a keg for your new fitting. It takes some effort to get it flat, but the element would go in the back of the keg anyway, so it doesn't have to be super pretty.

@Lloyd: How about a new version of that fitting with the element guard built in as one unit? That would greatly simplify things...

• all it takes to fit a curved surface is a set of teflon spacers like the faucet of a beer tap on a round tower has...

• what I had in '08

081205_001_IMG.jpg
    600 x 800 - 72K
  • I'm getting itchy just looking at that :))

• Might as well have used asbestos.

• TeeHee ;;)

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @grim said: I'm getting itchy just looking at that :))

Yep me too itch itch shitty stuff it is

• I figured the 2" PDA-1 would get more comments...

• edited September 2014

There is another option but it is heavy. Fine for a boiler that you don't move often. Works with gas also if you incorporate a shroud.

I built a gas powered steam kettle this way from an aluminium keg. Fire cement mixed with a lightweight filler. I used vermiculite. You dont need a thick layer to be a very good and fireproof insulator.

That is insulation on a galvanised bin that was used as a shroud around the keg to provide an exhaust vent option for for further heat recovery from the exhaust if required. Shroud was bolted to upper keg skirt and sealed with fire cement before insulation was applied.

Steam kettle keg can be filled and drained in situ.

Photo019st.jpg
    608 x 800 - 45K
  • @Lloyd said: Like this?

Any idea when @Smaug is going to have some of these fittings available?

• As soon as UPS (playing customs inspector for extra fees, cough, cough) releases the express shipment. A couple of days I'd think.

Got a feeling these will be popular.

• Thanks @Lloyd.
    Mr. @Smaug, could you please put my name on 2 :D

• @captainshooch said: Thanks Lloyd.
    Mr. Smaug, could you please put my name on 2 :D

hey buddy, the end of the line is back there ----> =))