StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Ports/Sensors for Automation

124»

Comments

• edited August 2014

@DocPorter said: Has anybody looked into these valves for a proportional valve?

Series ZC Characterized Ball Valves @ Plast-O-Matic Valves, Inc.

You can get different V notches in the ball to make the flow curve more linear.

They look to be reasonably fast acting (6 second 0-90°) and are good up to 158°F. And come in both 2-way & 3-way:

CATALOG EBVA / TEBVA MULTI-VOLTAGE ACTUATOR WITH FAIL-SAFE AND 4-20mA DIGITAL POSITIONER OPTIONS (PDF)

If only I could find a price...

Looks to be pretty pricey just for a bunch of plastic and wires...$696

Plast-O-Matic - Series MBV True Blue Ball Valves @ Zmags

• edited August 2014

The Johnson two-way valves I posted have a shaped orifice to linearize the flow over the full sweep, they aren't just simple ball valves.

The smaller half inch low Cv valve has a wildly shaped orifice, the larger high Cv is not so interestingly shaped. My flow tests show a very linear flow response with both valves, similar tests with simple ball valves would have near full flow with much less than full swing.

• edited August 2014

I believe the technical term is "characterizing disc" - couldn't remember it yesterday. I can't find a picture of the Johnson valve internals online, but I did find a shot of the Belimo valves, which are similar:

ccv disc.jpg
    800 x 218 - 21K
  • Grim - Do you know what the model number is for your Johnson actuator? Did you get it with the characterizing ball valve installed or did you get them separately?

• edited August 2014

Off the top of my head, VG1241CN is the 1" valve and VG1241AD is the 1/2 valve.

They came with the characterized disc installed. The 1/2" has a disc that looks similar to the picture above, the 1" valve disc opening looks more like a trapezoid. The motor/controller is 9 - GGA - something, I'd need to look at up.

• thinking about something... If you place the probe in the body of the dephlegmator, water moves by it very, very slowly, perhaps 100x slower than it would by a probe in the outlet stream... the cross section of a condenser is that much larger than the outlet, right? This flowing water is what changes the temperature of the probe or thermowell, and by getting nearly all the water to pass the probe, you can wick away or add heat faster to it, resulting in a quicker time to get the probe to the same temperature as the water..... just thinking...

• edited August 2014

I'd have the same argument I would when people say that slow acting proportional valves aren't suitable for this use.

Product and Reflux condensers, by their very nature, need to operate in very tight temperature ranges during production. If the temperature is varying enough that a slow valve is a problem, you've got bigger problems. I agree that slow-to-respond sensors may cause an issue, but in reality, the sensors will operate significantly faster than any other component in the system.

Locating the probe in the condenser serves a different purpose. If you are measure on the outflow, how do you measure the temp of the coolant if your flow is zero? Unless you allow for a bypass, you would find yourself in a situation where the coolant temp measured at the output is significantly different from in the condenser itself. During low cooling demands, the bypass itself would introduce significant "slowness". Imagine a situation where you have a 1 gallon volume condenser, but your bypass is only .1g per minute. How long will it take you before you get the correct temperature at the outflow? The temp in the condenser is a gradient, it's not homogeneous. You'd be pushing at the cooler liquid at the top before you pushed out the hotter liquid at the bottom.

If you are looking for higher levels of responsiveness, they make RTD probes with a significantly reduced cladding over the tip. They also make copper tip RTDs.

Either way, no free lunch.

• Hmm, that is an interesting thought @CothermanDistilling, glad I have that fancy new defleg to do some hands on research :) Speaking of heat transfer, I gutted an old rtd probe and slid the actual resistor portion into the 1/4 thermowell, and was wondering if you or anyone else was using thermal paste of something similar inside the thermowell tip to get better readings. We use generally don't use anything on our big fermenters at the brewery because heat gradient changes so slowly, but in this application where you are looking for quick response, I was curious if this was more of an issue.

• I put my bead type thermistor in, then slid the SD thermoprobe in and pushed it in with some 1/16" welding rod (the SD thermometer probe lightly squeezed the thermistor probe wire against the inner wall of the thermowell to hold it snugly in place, but you could put thermopaste on the tip also.... I was very happy with the temp sensitivity the way I did it... I have my BCS program set to start cooling water in the dephleg when the temp below the dephleg hit 120F, and never had an issue.

• edited March 2016

Awesome reading. Looking at ways to monitor (no necessarily control) at this point and came across some sanitary thermocouple gasket ideas someone else might benefit from:

Stainless Steel - Spore Trap Thermocouple Clamps

Smart Gasket Thermocouples

Smart Gasket Thermocouples

• With the use of that gasket you would have access inside the column for small motors or spinning plates or electric controls for solenoid plate dumping... most anything hell of an idea... and the list goes on

• hmmm... i have another idea... a band around the CD special gasket that holds a thermocouple (that pierces the CD gasket) up against the copper plate... temp probe at every plate and a little bling to boot...

• Interesting concept as long as it doesnt leak

• edited March 2016

I use a piece of 1/4'' copper tube as a thermowell, easy, quick, no leaks

I drill a 3/8'' hole in the pipe
    I bend/ping a flange (90 degree from vertical) on a 2'' piece of 3/8'' tubing
    this is my solder sleeve..
    crimp/solder 1 end of 1/4'' tube..
    slide 1/4'' tubing into the sleeve. solder all to pipe

my gauge probe fits snugly in the well. down into the vapor stream

I would prefer using a P&T plug, but the gasket material is not compatible

1.jpg
    199 x 227 - 11K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 38K
  • but it is not modular! LOL

• They make triclamp RTDs...

• edited March 2016