StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Something NEW is coming!

Comments

• Modular rotary evaporator vacuum still? RotoDragon? Yes! Yes!

• wasn't even a year ago that I was scoffed at:

vacuum thread.png
    1077 x 269 - 19K
  • edited June 2014

A good introduction to the use of a rotary vacuum still for food preparation is

Rotary Evaporation in the Kitchen @ Cooking Issues

• I hear Corsair Artisan Distillery has a rotovap and they say it is THE thing to have for testing new ideas...

• edited June 2014

There's a few guy's over at Artisan Distilling running vacuum units.

Let's talk Vacuum Distillation @ AD

I thought we weren't going to mention the reverse flow yet Lloyd?

They'll be onto it for sure now.... :(|)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I know its now getting off topic from all the vacuum distillation ideas, but would there be a way to retrofit a plate bypass for all the plates that could be controlled from inside the boiler? Think of a rod connected to all plates that would control a valve that is in place of a bubble cap and controlled from within

• edited June 2014

Heard rumor that the new stills will no longer require physical plates. Instead, the column will have superconducting magnets and high powered plasma lasers to hold liquid ethanol in place, by configuring the magnets you can dynamically add, remove, or change the spacing on the plates.. The laser densitometer post above was nothing but a clever ruse to attempt to squash the rumors.

Mod edit. This is completely untrue and if it was true the patent would still be a couple days away so we wouldn't be confirming these rumours even if they were true, which they aren't and we're not cause we won't. :))

• edited June 2014
    pdf
    pdf
    Microwave-oven-extraction-of-an-essential-oil.pdf
  • @CothermanDistilling said: I hear Corsair Artisan Distillery has a rotovap and they say it is THE thing to have for testing new ideas...

I just ordered a couple 10 gallon barrels from them. A gin barrel sour beer is in my future after I do a gin barrel pale ale. As far as new equipment guesses, since I haven't much a clue about distilling, how about scrubby packed bubble caps on a more efficient bubble plate design?

• Hello folks, I need some advice I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a dash 2. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the mystery products. Im new at this so it's kind of a big deal I am also new to distilling any and all help would be appreciated.

• edited June 2014

@mlobarr said: Hello folks, I need some advice I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a dash 2. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the mystery products. Im new at this so it's kind of a big deal I am also new to distilling any and all help would be appreciated.

It's 10 days of waiting to see what's up, I think you can manage waiting that long to see if what they have up their sleeve is your ticket or not.

• 9 days

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @mlobarr - you could pull the trigger, or you could wait and buy the new version, or you could wait and buy a slightly used, perfectly working dash from someone that has an insatiable urge to have the newest thing on the block... I am probably keeping mine because it looks so cool, but you may find someone with less cash on hand, more urge, and closer to you .... just sayin....

• @mlobarr said: Hello folks, I need some advice I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a dash 2. But I'm wondering if I should wait for the mystery products. Im new at this so it's kind of a big deal I am also new to distilling any and all help would be appreciated.

If your goal is a 4" Dash, no need to wait. The new tech plays its role on the larger columns and if you are in need of the fastest possible product take-off (when time is money).

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• A partial vacuum pumping reflux column that sucks the flavor vapor out of the boiler! :-B

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @CothermanDistilling said: mlobarr - you could pull the trigger, or you could wait and buy the new version, or you could wait and buy a slightly used, perfectly working dash from someone that has an insatiable urge to have the newest thing on the block... I am probably keeping mine because it looks so cool, but you may find someone with less cash on hand, more urge, and closer to you .... just sayin....

That's a good idea, I for some reason want a 5 inch rig. No idea why hahahahahahahaha

• edited June 2014

We never, ever stop innovating new ideas and products. So jump in whenever you feel comfortable.
    The best part of our fully modular concept is you can upgrade pieces of your still instead of the whole thing. Its the tinker toys of stilling, you get to reassemble your pieces into new and exciting ways.
    In the very beginning we had no idea we could command custom-made gaskets into existence and we were the first to do it - after quite a few customers had to slice the inner ring from their 4" gaskets so the plates would fit.
    We definitely got the plate wrong but people absolutely loved them anyway because for the first time they could buy precision cut, low cost plates and caps, build a bubble column and produce fine spirits without owning a machine shop. So many improvements since then and tons more products to choose from but the concept remains the same; you never lose value on useful parts... in fact, our obsolete items (including our failures) are now collector's items.
    Its not a matter of when to jump in, its a matter of how deep do you jump.
    Nothing gets wasted as everything is useful if you have the imagination!

The new plate is a simple upgrade for the professional sized columns - 6" and up - but I elected to center the new 5" column on them only because 5" is the biggest size column that I can power. The 4" Dash is a joy to run and is well proven by many hundreds of users, the 5" is just me pushing the edges out.

Anyone with a 4" Dash that does not sell booze has a machine that can EASILY provide more fine spirits than any one family can possibly consume.

You all had your chance to buy the Bubble Balls. The copper funnels. The copper cones, and the list goes on. They are all rare collector's items now and if you could find a seller you'd pay a very high premium. Not saying the current plate system will enjoy the same fate. Saying that the current 4" plate is a proven way to get first class booze for minimum money spent is an understatement.

But just over a week from now StillDragon will release the full details for something so crazy that it is wonderful.

I promised I wouldn't knock at the copycat (OK, thieves) that steal our ideas (hello ?#@!&$ and many others, name obfuscated, you know who) but they are the reason for the secrecy. I hate to keep the details from the members here yet we all know the thieves are lurking so until your distributors have stocks we are unwilling to publish the details. Patent protection only goes so far because StillDragon is global and defending the patent against the thieves will be tiresome and time consuming but inevitable. I appreciate your understanding in this matter and I truly feel bad that we have been forced to keep the details from you.

I PROMISE you, in just a few months the thieves copycats will suddenly invent what we are about to release.
    This is simply our way of proving that we are, yet again, the first.
    We pass up every opportunity to steal others ideas and have tried to keep silent when they claim credit for what StillDragon has bought to the distilling table - and that's sometimes damn hard to do.

But I digress.
    Forget the thieves for now and enjoy the ride, as I do, of what StillDragon is all about... providing the best distilling parts to distillers at the very best price.

• edited June 2014

Sorry for the long winded post. Saw ?#@!&$ (name obfuscated, you know who) on youtube taking credit for our work that they plagiarized and its like a turd I have have to push out.

• back on track, keep guessing.....

minion.jpg
    800 x 600 - 29K
  • @Moonshine said: A partial vacuum pumping reflux column that sucks the flavor vapor out of the boiler!

Sounds kinda like an ad for one of them vacuum penis enlargers that LOO bought... :))

• @FullySilenced said: Sounds kinda like an ad for one of them vacuum penis enlargers that LOO bought... :))

:-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited June 2014

Spoiler:

Heh... >:)

• So ALL of @Law_Of_Ohms posts can be Spoilers?!? =))

• New element guard kit with integrated controller?

ele.jpg
    800 x 300 - 13K

major_spoilers.jpg
    314 x 653 - 25K
  • An ancient and mystical incantation that you recite before adding power to the boiler that cuts the power and water needed by HALF while increasing the %ABV and production speed. (Warning: it DOES NOT work unless you are standing at a precise 31.6741207 degrees to the right of the still.)

• I can see the light! <:-P

• AAAAHHHHHH shit! Looks like my income tax refund is gonna get spent!!!

• I already have orders for two complete systems sight unseen. B-)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand