StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Drain Hole in Plates for CIP

Can someone post a detailed picture of where and how big of a hole you drilled in your plates for a CIP drain? I noticed that not all the plates drained completely on the tall CD and I do not want rinse water to pool in the plates...for one thing it caused a little weeping at start up, but also I prefer if the plates drain completely. Thanks in advance, Hooch.

Comments

• edited March 2014

I would be tempted to put the weep hole into the down comer so it empties that also.

(Sorry for messing with your stock image Lloyd.)

SD Down2.jpg
    719 x 800 - 64K
  • Thanks @Myles off to drill 32ea. 2mm holes (16 plates and 16 DC caps). It used to be easy to take things appart in sections but the 16 plate CD is a one piece deal.

• Still only undoing six nuts to disassemble the whole cartridge though...woot... :)>-

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• More like 8 nuts @punkin and it is a tricky thing going up a ladder with glass in your hand... :))

• The original thought, @captainshooch, was for 4 to 6 glass sections - not 50 ^:)^

• First world problem :-SS

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I agree with @myles that both the plates & the downcomers need to be modified - IF you decide to do this.

i think that 2mm is tooo big. i have previously drilled plates & DC's with a 1.5mm hole but have recently soldered em up & find I don't get pooling on my plates after a run.

If I did it again, I'd only go 1mm

• Its hard to drill 1mm in 1.5mm copper without breaking the bit.
    I need to find "spotting" drill bits that machinists use, they are very short - about 1/4 the length of a regular bit.

• Here and here.

• How about adjustable? Tap the hole and put in a small grub screw. Sort of like a minature needle valve. Would a screw adjust the weep rate dependent on how many threads were screwed in?

• Screw Machine Length Drill Bits

Drill Bit Size (mm):           1.00
    Drill Bit Size (Decimal Inch): 0.0394
    Drill Bit Material:            Cobalt
    Drill Bit Finish/Coating:      Bright
    Flute Length (mm):             6.00
    Drill Point Angle:             135 
    Size (Decimal Inch):           .0394"
    Size (mm):                     1.00mm
    Flute Length (mm):             6.00mm
    Overall Length (mm):           26.00mm
    Finish/Coating:                Bright
    Point Angle°:                  135
    Point Type:                    Split
    Rotation:                      Right Hand
    Material:                      Cobalt
    Drill Grade:                   Heavy-Duty
    Material Grade:                M-35

99 cents  

or 1.5mm

Screw Machine Length Drill Bits

Drill Bit Size (Wire):         # 53
    Drill Bit Size (mm):           1.51
    Drill Bit Size (Decimal Inch): 0.0595
    Drill Bit Material:            Cobalt
    Drill Bit Finish/Coating:      Bright
    Flute Length (Inch):           5/8
    Size (Decimal Inch):           .0595"
    Size (Wire):                   # 53
    Flute Length (Inch):           5/8
    Overall Length (Inch):         1-5/8
    Point Angle°:                  135
    Point Type:                    Split
    Rotation:                      Right Hand
    Material:                      Cobalt
    Material Grade:                M-42

Model # 337-2502
    Low Price: $1.83 ea

Screw machine length is not as short as a spotting drill but would be much more stable in a tight chuck and or a machine with good spindle speed and rigidity...

FS

• edited March 2014

Had to look that one up @Myles :-S

A set screw is called a grub screw in the UK.

How about a cut screw?

Thanks, FS. A screw machine bit would be ideal.

cut_screw.jpg
    220 x 220 - 6K
  • I think I am going to see if leaving one of the caps a bit loose wiil do the trick before I drill

• Tried it with the DC screw a bit loose and 30 minutes later did not do it. Maybe a drop once in a while.

• @captainshooch the you made any other decisions on drilling drain/weep holes for draining your plates and has anyone else drill out the ProCap for plate drainage?

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• trill and tap a hole for a small screw?

• @Manofconstantsorrow no sir I did not drill them yet. Have just been dismantling unless I plan to use on the following day.

• I have small hole in the bottom of each of my downcomers for rinsing after runs

• edited November 2014

What size hole did you use? I'm also looking at placing a hole in my downcomers. I am looking at a variety of CIP options. When I get my new boiler my preference would be not to disassemble the still unless reconfiguring.

• Could someone possibly put up a picture of where they are drilling their downcomers for clarification?

• Why is fairly easy, it is to ensure the vapour trap can drain after cleaning. Whether it is needed depends on your usage plan.

If you run every day then it probably isn't important. If you use the still infrequently then cleaning between runs is an issue.

You probably need some way to clean and prepare the plates for storage. There are other ways to do it, this is just one option.

• Seems like most of the pros get about a month out of their copper before they have to tear down and clean.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America