Square Pig in a Round Hole Dilemma

I would love some suggestions on fitting a 6mm threaded thermocouple to a 2in triclamp.

I have been able to fit out my other sized probes to 2in TC's using a combination of SS reducing bushes and Still Dragon 2in x 1/2 endcap. But now I'm stumped.

thermocouple.jpg
800 x 450 - 24K

Comments

• Drill and tap an end cap?
    I hope to offer a wider choice of thermo-fittings soon but for now I'm committed to the moving into the new warehouse (and the recovery period afterward as I can almost not lift my arms over my head now).

My first attack will be to get a probe very much like that to mate with the parrot.

If I had it all to do over again, back in the very beginning of StillDragon, I'd have gone 100% metric on all threads.

• Get a 6mm nut welded to an end cap, easy.

OD

• edited March 2014

Haha of course. Thanks Od. Sometimes I think too hard.

Youre all good Lloyd. We will convert you over soon enough:)

Cheers

Or perhaps drill a 6mm hole in the end cap and install a pair of small o-rings and hold it all together with a 6mm nut?

I've never had a probe like that @cunnyfunt but @olddog will be sending one soon so I'll be in the same boat that you're in now.

6mm probe.png
    311 x 306 - 3K
  • I suppose I could at least do that myself until I got one welded. I wish I could tig weld. I can poly weld but that doesn't help much in this hobby.

• edited March 2014

I have a 4metre one with a 12mm thread if that would help, $10+pp . BTW Cunny, thermocouples are generally not sealed and need to be fitted to a thermo well.

OD

• See!?! 12mm to 6mm is an easy reducing bushing to get. A 3/8" or 1/2" by 6mm is not so easy to find.

• edited March 2014

I was just looking at that.. I want to use it with boiling wort. I wasnt sure when you screwed it in if it sealed on the end of the probe Does the 12mm still requre a thermowell? or work with the PID for the brewery side of your controller? If no and yes I will take it:)

• Welcome to my world Lloyd.

• Yes it will work with the PID, but you will need to unsolder the plug on the 6mm and resolder the wires from the 12mm to the plug, keeping the polarity the same. This one is also unsealed, unless you are anal about it, a slick of epoxy on the shaft will seal it.

OD

• Excellent. Problem solved. Thanks again

• PM. Me your address again and I will post.

OD

• edited March 2014

I try and use pockets where ever I can. Makes it easy to change sensors if they shit themselves.

chrome-plated-brass-temp-sensor-pocket.jpg
    176 x 191 - 7K
    Sensor 50mm.jpg
    487 x 309 - 17K
  • edited March 2014

thanks @mickiboi I was able to source a 1/2 to 1/4in reducer so I am now able to use my new thermocouple from OD with a 1/2 thermowell > 2in TC :-c

I am just waiting on a few more parts but all things going to plan, next weekend I am going to do my first malt whisky wash/ RIMS / Brew in a Bag using mostly SD and OD parts. Cant wait

• Was wondering what all those bits were for 8-}

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2014

Ended up just getting a thermowell to use with the 12mm thermocouple.

I also go a fitting welded up for a TC. whirlpool. I can finally brew a malt whisky wash tomorrow with Od's controller and maybe if I get time do a strip run of something laying around

thermowell.jpg
    800 x 450 - 43K