StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Fort Worth Distillery with Black Eyed Pea Vodka

Comments

• Amazin, eh? They did a story on them a few months ago, too... I wanna go over there and take a tour and yak at them for a while... They's about an hours's drive from me..

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• edited February 2014

One thing remains true...if you are going to produce commercial vodka you need a gimmick. Seems the way it is these days.

I have my gimmick. Baby seal tears... Vodka with a few drops of baby seal tearsTM in every bottle :P

• @cunnyfunt said: One thing remains true...if you are going to produce commercial vodka you need a gimmick. Seems the way it is these days.

I have my gimmick. Baby seal tears... Vodka with a few drops of baby seal tearsTM in every bottle :P

Brilliant

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited February 2014

Jesus - launching a vodka without product differentiation and a unique brand/value prop- that's suicide. Might as well just use dollar bills to fire your still, it'll help get you to the inevitable faster.

Kudos to these guys for finding an interesting angle, clearly it's working to get them press. I find black eyed peas vastly more interesting than the folks who compete based on bottle shape and label design.

Maybe I can frost the bottle a little different, or just make it a little bit taller. I guarantee you that in the vodka world, there are more people focused on hang tag design then new recipe development.

C'est la vie, if we have any chance of competing with the big boys - it's going to be through quality, brand, and differentiation.

• I's surprised no one here in Texas has tried using Pinto beans to make it... !.. ?? !

• Or cow shit

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• They(them snobs with cash) drink cat shit coffee so Texan cow shit vodka could be viable.

• Gen-U-Wine CowPaddy Vodka, bet that catches on.
    Serve with Rocky Mountain Oysters.

• Mum mm mountain oysters.

I didn't mention it before but hats off.to this bloke and his black eyed peas vodka. Taking a local resource and giving it a crack I'm jealous.

The kids will think it is cool to drink while they are busting out some phat beats from the black eyed peas...

• edited February 2014

Speaking of oysters - reminds me of the time I ordered once of those fancy dirty martinis at a fancy bow-tie kind of place, and it had a raw oyster floating in the bottom of the glass. Something about fish swimming in my booze just turns my stomach. That was even worse than the time that we finished off a handle of plastic-bottle gin (no better way of learning what heads are, after a morning of vomit - you'll be able to pick up the faintest whiff of heads from 10 yards). Oh, don't get me wrong, I drank that oyster down, damned if I turn away from a challenge like that. Perhaps that's an angle someone wants to explore. Instead of the worm in the mezcal, you can be the fish in the vodka (although I'm sure those crazy guys in the Nordics have already done this)?

Possibilities are endless here, cicada cachaca, grasshopper gin...

• I saw a Polish vodka here (I think it was Polish - it's been awhile) that was VERY high dollar.
    The bottle claimed there were actual gold flakes in the bottle although I could not see any.
    If anyone is interested I can go back to the store to investigate it further.

Thinking Cracker Jack had the right idea, a collectable inside every bottle, in their case box.

McDonald's kids meal earned them countless $$Billions because they gave a cheap toy. Worm in the bottle ain't no different.

Old boy should put a Black Eye Pea in his bottle!

You can think of the next catch for your booze!!! I'd put a big red strawberry in my Strawberry Panty Dropper.

I'd put an apple slice in my Apple Pie. I'd put a grain of wheat in my bottle of ALL GRAIN WHEAT.

Toy surprise inside or collectable, yes?

• edited February 2014

Another polish vodka called Zybrowka - rye based vodka with some herbal flavoring - has a blade of bison grass in the bottle. Color is usually a touch on the yellow side, which led to folks jokingly refer to it as being flavored with Bison urine. It got a cult-like status because it was banned in the US because the bison grass contained the toxic coumarin. Probably unbeknownst to the original creators, bison grass contains coumarin, which is a flavor enhancer. So the new "neutralized" variants that you can buy in the US aren't quite as good. If you have the opportunity to try the real stuff out in Europe - give it a shot.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting example of actually putting something in the bottle having a beneficial effect on the product.

I bet you if you'd find a way to make a stainless steel "bullet" looking item and put it in a vodka (and got the TTB to approve it), created a rumor it was actually a real bullet, and the vodka was flavored with gunpowder, you'd sell a million bottles.

• I wonder if a condom looking token could be fashioned and put into a bottle...

• edited February 2014

Would fit right in with a "panty dropper" theme. We've started trials with bacon flavored vodka this morning. Bottle will contain a perfectly fried piece of thick-cut applewood smoked bacon. Makes a wicked bloody mary.

• Jesus - somebody actually did the bacon thing already?

• edited February 2014

I use a split domino in all my bottles. I was talking to a delivery driver last week who said he was into stilling. Used cordial in neutral etc. I gave him a card and a sample of ujsm, he said it must be common to put a stick in it.

I said, no if you've tried a bottle with a stick in it, it came from me, where were you?

Turned out his next door neighbour was a workmate of mine. :)>-

bottles4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That's cool punkin, any reason for it in there other then looks?

• It keeps on conditioning, so does make minor improvements as long as there is booze in the bottle.

• Fantastic idea, i think i may just start doing this :)>-

• You don't find that the used Jim Beam bottle results in some off-flavors? :)

Would love to play with this concept, but instead use switches of charred fruit woods.

• feel free to steal it. i'll never market it.

• Market it Punkin call it Punkin's Woody ...