Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!
OK OK! I'll start a thread!!
After a great deal of patience from Lloyd who has been brilliant (and with the patience of Job) throughout the initial stages we took delivery of our 380L boiler, 8" x 11 bubble plate Crystal Dragon column and gin basket. Ship from China arrived in port on time and three days later a truck arrived at our brewery with the two crates; smooth as silk through customs, port authorities etc.
Whilst it was in transit (about three weeks) we had a change of heart as to the heating of the boiler. We had chosen to go with propane gas, so the boiler was built with a gas skirt round the base. After discussions with various friends, more knowledgeable than I, a decision was made to go with electric immersion heaters instead. (Wish I'd had these discussions a few weeks earlier!) We have four tank fittings on order and we will probably start off with 4 x 3Kw heaters and see how we go with that. - Lloyd I'll probably be asking for a DIY controller shortly.
I am at present assembling the two sections of the column which will end up about 6'6" high (two metres if you're in Europe) making the whole rig a bit over eleven feet in total. Getting the gaskets all in the right place and seated correctly has been a juggling act and at times is a bit of a struggle, but I think I have one finished (we'll see!) and the second section I will finish this evening hopefully. When it's all together I will post a photo or two - I can guarantee that it'll look impressive. I'm well impressed with the build quality. If anything the bits look a little over engineered, which is nice and reassuring. First impression is that on a value for money this scores 10/10.
The only negative so far is that one of the glass sections got cracked in transit. I assembled the first section yesterday morning and left it in place looking fine but when I went to start on the second section last night one section of the glass had cracked. Fortunately Lloyd put two spares in for us, so apart from having to rebuild the column section (easier second time round) we're OK. I guess I must have somehow stressed it a bit to cause the split.
So to summarise - so far - well pleased.