Spirit Safes

Anybody really believe it's a useful tool? Or more like a space taker upper that never really made your (theoretically speaking) job any easier one way or the other?

Even if it adds to the dog and pony show? But does it really?

Kind of a poll I guess?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

Comments

• More a historical thing IMO, originating from when the english government monitored production closely. That said they can look cool,

• Do they look awesome? Yes. Are they useful? For smaller folks maybe not so much, but larger folks yes. Do I want one? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you could do a good job if you think about how to make them useful for smaller folks.

You could start with something simple like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pKacEZDpQ

• @SingleMaltYinzer said: You could start with something simple like this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Yes I want one too as they look really good but around my stills it gets pretty dirty and a bright shiny copper safe will get pretty dirty pretty fast. Although if I put it on wheels I could move it around. Hmmmm.

• edited June 5

We're doing a couple of em for folks. We can do different sizes to match the receiving tank volumes.

I just more or less feel they are,,,,superfluous.

image1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 36K
    image2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 41K

• @SingleMaltYinzer said: Do they look awesome? Yes. Are they useful? For smaller folks maybe not so much, but larger folks yes. Do I want one? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you could do a good job if you think about how to make them useful for smaller folks.

You could start with something simple like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pKacEZDpQ

Alcometer floating in the same stream as what being deposited into the receiving tank is never going to be close to accurate.

Needs a smaller, dedicated take off of the main collection pipe run over to a dedicated measuring tube with a much low flow rate si that any hydraulic effect is mitigated.

Just sayin,,,

• edited June 7

Spirit safes one reason why I laugh at the notion that spirits were better in the "old days". They weren't.

I think we all agree, the way to make cuts is organoleptically - by smell and taste. We know smell and taste is on par with high quality HPLC and GC.

Spirit safes forced distillers to cut based on proof.

Remember, the spirit safe was intended to protect the spirits from the DISTILLER, for fear of stealing precious tax revenue.

Imagine if a chef was forced to cook by only looking at the dish past a piece of glass.

There may be history here, but this was stupid history. Let's at least agree on that. Holding tanks, sure I could see benefit there, but that's not a safe.

• @grim said: Spirit safes one reason why I laugh at the notion that spirits were better in the "old days". They weren't. There may be history here, but this was stupid history. Let's at least agree on that. Holding tanks, sure I could see benefit there, but that's not a safe.

Yeah, for me a way of making cuts without spilling stuff everywhere would be appreciated. The safes look great but don't serve much purpose for me other than cleanliness. Which I would love. And so would many others. So when will a prototype be ready Mr. @Smaug? Or should I keep hinting that I want a way to make cuts without spilling stuff???

/I'm not actually that messy of a person. //Yeah I am.

• 3 Howels and Henderson will be getting one here in the near future.

• So you are making four all up?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Two of em

• For the Howles or for the Henderson?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• 3 Howels the name. They are getting one and Henderson is getting one.

• Hard to crack a joke round here.

• @punkin said: Hard to crack a joke round here.

Problem is you are too clever and I am surrounded by people that are less than clever.