Chasing Higher Proof Neutral Spirit

Hello all,

I have a Reflux 5" Dash with 6 pro plates and a 200 lt boiler. I have run it numerous times now, and I am only focusing on producing neutral spirit, using a TPW. Now that I am slowly getting my head around how to run the still and fine tune it, I find I am only managing to get 90% once I've taken off the fores and heads. I've played around with different settings and can see that by cranking up the output, the purity starts to drop, but nothing I've tried results in getting higher than 90%.

So my questions are: with my current set-up, is there anything else I can, or should be doing to increase the purity up towards the 93% mark? And if the answer to that is 'not really', what would be recommended in terms of increasing the purity from a single spirit run, i.e., more bubble plates, packed column etc. (I have a five metre high roof above the still so there are no height restrictions.)

I guess the other question I have is: If I am only wanting a neutral spirit to make liqueurs, would I even notice the difference between a 88% verses a 92% neutral, given that it will be proofed down to 25% abv and have a heap of flavours and sugar added anyway. That being said, I can see myself one day branching out into the world of gins and rums, so upgrading the equipment will be on the cards anyway.

Many thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Comments

• Speed is diameter, purity is height.

So if you add more plates, a packed section, or run through multiple times you will get a higher purity, all other things being equal.

Try watering down your 90% spirit to 40% and run it through again.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2023

Thanks @punkin, any suggestions on how many plates to add, and maybe a packed section as well? Ideally, I'd like to get as close as possible to 95% in one run.

• i agree with @punkin. You can also try: - running more reflux to reduce your take off rate & increase purity - lowering your input power ie slowing down the rate of boil off

• Are you doing stripping runs? Expect to see near 94 with power controlled to draw no more than 15 to 25% of full output. Have made liqueur from 91% that I like better than 94!

• A packed section of a 4" x 510mm with some structured copper mesh would probs be the first thing to try, but stripping will get you there quicker in the long run i think.

Fast dirty strip in near pot mode with basic cuts. 40% charge and a fairly quick spirit run will probs beat a single run at slooow take off in overall time.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thank you all for your expert advice. I think I will try a fast dirty stripping run then a spirit run and see how that goes. Thanks again everyone.

• edited October 2023

@Simmo said: So my questions are: with my current set-up, is there anything else I can, or should be doing to increase the purity up towards the 93% mark? so upgrading the equipment will be on the cards anyway.

Markdown ?
    I'd recommend stripping runs and don't chase after higher proof if neutral spirits is your goal.