What would YOU do?

Just got this "Caribbean" rum yeast and the ideal ferment temp is 68-77F?

Seems just a bit cold for typical rum ferments, no? Has anyone ever used this and if so what did you ferment at?

FC

image.jpg
600 x 800 - 53K

Comments

• Don't sweat it, at all.

• Thanks @grim

Just got a response from White Star and they said:

The D497 is a cooler climate rum yeast, selected for medium ester production in northern climates. As a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain, it can be pushed to 86F, but only with adequate nutrition and aerobic ferments. Distillers in Canada and northern USA states would struggle to maintain 86-100F fermentation temps, with little to no benefit to their rum washes.

Guess I will see what it will do at 86.

Ron

• edited September 2023

Really, sounds more like a yeast strain selected for higher ester production at cooler temperatures. Perhaps something like an ale yeast (given the parameters they are highlighting), with the goal of mimicking Carribean rum at lower fermentation temps.

• @grim, I've done 5 runs with this yeast and like the end result but HATE how temperamental it is. Very slow ferment and picky about temp, pH and OG. Have you used a yeast that you liked that gave you a "Caribbean or Jamaican" style rum?

• I used it and it did not like how slow it was below 80F, but other than that I liked it.. granted I did pitch it into thin mash of 1.070 at 1gram/gallon or so and then at high krausen I added the thick mash that would have taken it to 1.170-1.180 if I did it initially...