Experimentation - What weird stuff do you test out?

As I like trying out obscure stuff I figure you folks do too. What's some of the weirder stuff you've made? I'm currently make finocchietto - a Fennel based spirit (see picture). For me the weirdest thing I've made is Limoncello Picante - a spicy limoncello. It's off the wall weird but it works somehow.

finocchietto.jpg
800 x 450 - 81K

Comments

• done buddahs hand cello once

• Nice ... following

• SMY dude that basil infused, barrel rested lemoncello is off the hook delicious. And the other one I just (sample bottle) is just on point. Like an RTD in a bottle but with more layers.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2023

Coriander Seed spirit, Thai Terror, Turkish delight... No way i can remember them all.

I distilled rose petals as the base of the turkish delight.

glassflask4.jpg
    860 x 645 - 74K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2023

@punkin said: Coriander Seed spirit, Thai Terror, Turkish delight... No way i can remember them all.

I distilled rose petals as the base of the turkish delight.

You used to be at the tip of the spear.

Now look at you. All religious and properly pius

• @Smaug said: SMY dude that basil infused, barrel rested lemoncello is off the hook delicious. And the other one I just (sample bottle) is just on point. Like an RTD in a bottle but with more layers.

Thanks! I make the base Limoncello for the crowds, the Reserva I made for myself... For the other which one did you try?

@punkin said: Turkish delight... I distilled rose petals as the base of the turkish delight.

I love the sound of Turkish Delight.

• The Blackberry Bramble Bourbon.

• @punkin thai terror mmm yum I've done it with Trinidad 7 pots & Habaneros. Needed a while to mellow. lol

• Peaches and Corn was a winner too. A peach bourbon.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Smaug said: You used to be at the tip of the spear. Now look at you. All religious and properly pius

Pity Artisan is gone, i could have gone back and found some weird and wonderful i've done for sure.

• @punkin said: Peaches and Corn was a winner too. A peach bourbon.

Sounds good for sure. Goose talked about getting rye going with Apple backins. Always made my mouth water.

• edited June 2023

Played round with heaps of apple combo's. I used to pick bins full of wild apples every year when i was the other side of the mountains.

apples5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K

• edited June 2023

I tried making Grappa once. It was less than successful. After dumping 50kg of grapes skins into two of my small 200l fermenters then adding hot water and adding sugar and stirring the shit out of it. I cooled it down and got it fermenting.

The PH crashed so I brought it up they both fermented out. I ran them both for a stripping run in my 240l still but barely got about 15l of low wines out of each one. And what we got out was so nasty my mate who I did it for didn't want to touch it. It was pretty toxic stuff.

The other thing I did was run 200l of a beer that had gone over its expiry date. It was well hopped as well. I told the brewery guy that it wasn't going to work. He said he would pay me for it so I did it. The final result was concentrated hops oils with some sour nasty whiskey with it. I sent him the final spirit and the guy tipped it out. And the worst thing was the asshole never paid me. I have been asked about 20 times since then to distill beer for brewers and every time the answer is no.

• When I distilled Beer (India Pale Ale) the hops did come through strong, oak aging smoothed it out. Most brewers like it but it definitely does not taste like whiskey. Malt flavor based beers like Lagers , Stouts or Brown ales taste great in my opinion.

• I have made Nocino and Vin De Noix this time of year which make a great Christmas Spirit. But you can only make it Mid June before the walnut shells harden. Green walnut "honey" is another tasty treat to make at the same time to use as your sweetener in the liquer.

• Still have some thai terror somewhere. Been fixated on traditional mezcal method recently, with decent results. Mexican niece says I can't make a real one without an iguana in the pit. She was astounded when I said we don't have them here. Boys are thinking goanna.

• @DeltaArtisan said: I have made Nocino and Vin De Noix this time of year which make a great Christmas Spirit. But you can only make it Mid June before the walnut shells harden. Green walnut "honey" is another tasty treat to make at the same time to use as your sweetener in the liquer.

I have a Grunne Nuice/Nocino thread on Artisan. I made it every xmas from my mates walnuts. I'd still have a sample of nearly everything i ever made on top of the house on a pallet here. Grunne Nuice would be black as space by now. Has to be 15 years. i have UJSM in a 50l barrel here that's 14 years old.

• edited June 2023

@punkin try using the wayback machine ;-)

Artisan Distiller @ Inetnet Archive

• edited June 2023

@crozdog said: punkin try using the wayback machine ;-)

Artisan Distiller @ Inetnet Archive

That was fun.
    A bit off topic but it's so interesting to read those old continuous distillation posts.

Who was on track and who was spinning their wheels.

• Look through the experiments there, everything from prickly pear to dandelions and everything inbetween.

Fuck we used to ferment some weird things.

A simple one i was thinking about last night was chupa chup vodka panty dropper.

Smash up a chupa chup and drop it in a bottle of 50%. add some food colouring after it's dissolved in a couple of days.

Green apple was a great one and cola went ok too.

• ... and the dunder pit phase...

• edited June 2023

Had to bring that up didn't you? :))

You should come up for a drive one sunday for pinball comp @rossco . It's only 15 mins away and a ton of fun.

Woopi Freeballers on the book. Next comp is Sunday week, 12pm warm up. Give me a text if you want.

Woopi Freeballers Inc @ Facebook

• I'll txt you if I can. I got hold of a blue agave pina, its about 150kg so going to be kind of busy, we're going to dig a pit and make some more Mezcal. Penciled it in.

• Keep an eye on the page, we're having a Sunday Silverball every 3-4 weeks atm.

• @punkin said: Keep an eye on the page, we're having a Sunday Silverball every 3-4 weeks atm.

Spam. Where is a mod when you need one? Lol.

• :))

• b-(

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum